The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Randomize (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Please. I'm begging. Don't read this. No joke. (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=1570)

WolfWriter 07-09-2011 08:18 PM

Please. I'm begging. Don't read this. No joke.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Do NOT post ANYTHING on this thread, and do NOT read it! D:

If there is one thing I beg of you, it is that you don't read it! One thing. Please. Don't read, don't comment. I know you COULD read it and not mention it but I would seriously be really disappointed because I'm saying right now that this was going to be over email but it won't work out. This is a private conversation.

Don't. Read. It. Don't. Comment. On. It.

That is what I expect of you: the follow those requests.

Please. This will be open to the public LATER. Be patient. Please. Please.

Those who can read and comment, you know who you are and have been notified. So everyone else will see new posts here, but that does not me a free-for-all. Got it?

Thank you in advance.

WolfWriter 07-09-2011 08:23 PM

Intro

Okay. If you are reading this and are not supposed to, please leave this thread. Thanks.

Ash. Leloo. [nods] I was reading an interview with Stephenie Meyer and another author and it was incredible to see how they interacted. They discussed their books, popularity, writing techniques, things they strggle with, characters, inspiration, all of it. As a writer, I have been wanting to do that ever since. So here we are. A three-way interview. It won't be classic, fill in the blank. This will be a conversation starting with questions and letting it flow. But I would like to make a request: make it professional :3 This will be posted on the NSP when we're done. And this thread will be deleted. I'll start us off with another post, but I just need to know your initials first. I'm HN, Leloo is AV, and Ash...? Initials just look good :3

Okay. Let's have fun!

TheAshWolf 07-09-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 140646)
Ash. Leloo. [nods] I was reading an interview with Stephenie Meyer and another author and it was incredible to see how they interacted. They discussed their books, popularity, writing techniques, things they struggle with, characters, inspiration, all of it. As a writer, I have been wanting to do that ever since. So here we are. A three-way interview. It won't be classic, fill in the blank. This will be a conversation starting with questions and letting it flow. But I would like to make a request: make it professional :3 This will be posted on the NSP when we're done. And this thread will be deleted. I'll start us off with another post, but I just need to know your initials first. I'm HN, Leloo is AV, and Ash...? Initials just look good :3

Okay. Let's have fun!

O.O AMAZING IDEA!!! :D (First question...I'm stupid, what does HN stand for? >_< Sorry.)

My initials (or my pen name's initials) Are AJ. ;)

WolfWriter 07-09-2011 08:30 PM

On Inspirations

Greetings! As many of us are aware, writing is not for everyone. But reading is. Every book has it's audience, people who will love it and people who will hate it. We just have to accept that as authors. But we get so many questions. I've read interviews with various writers, and there always seems to be one reoccurring question: How do you come up with these ideas?

Wow. That's hard to answer because we all walk by so many stories each day, just begging to be put on paper. And once we select one, it is the author's job to make it the best it can be and to keep pushing on. At first, I'm on fire for the book, but after a while, I struggle for inspiration. I find mine in music and scenery, and in the way people act around me. That couple at the grocery store. That accident on the news. My mind starts to reel and it's all I can think about. Then I sit down and write.

Everyone has different techniques, though, so I'm curious about your thoughts.

Leloo 07-09-2011 08:31 PM

*thumbs up*

Sounds cool. :) Umm... how shall we start this?

TheAshWolf 07-09-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 140652)
Greetings! As many of us are aware, writing is not for everyone. But reading is. Every book has it's audience, people who will love it and people who will hate it. We just have to accept that as authors. But we get so many questions. I've read interviews with various writers, and there always seems to be one reoccurring question: How do you come up with these ideas?

Wow. That's hard to answer because we all walk by so many stories each day, just begging to be put on paper. And once we select one, it is the author's job to make it the best it can be and to keep pushing on. At first, I'm on fire for the book, but after a while, I struggle for inspiration. I find mine in music and scenery, and in the way people act around me. That couple at the grocery store. That accident on the news. My mind starts to reel and it's all I can think about. Then I sit down and write.

For me, I find the inspiration for stories in more than just music and scenery. I see stories in all the people I meet. Each person has their own tale to tell...and adding a little fantasy to it can sometimes make the base of an interesting storyline.

TheAshWolf 07-09-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leloo (Post 140653)
Sounds cool. :) Umm... how shall we start this?

[[XD I have no idea. I just replied to WW's last post. :^P]]

WolfWriter 07-09-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAshWolf (Post 140654)
For me, I find the inspiration for stories in more than just music and scenery. I see stories in all the people I meet. Each person has their own tale to tell...and adding a little fantasy to it can sometimes help make the base of an interesting storyline.

Yeah, dreams for me, too. Or even other stories. I would read a book and wonder about a character and what would happen if so and so happened instead. I remake that character and it's like an instant plotline. Going to new places around the world or country are also great, because my imagination almost makes me see things. And then I build on that, you know?

TheAshWolf 07-09-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 140656)
Yeah, dreams for me, too. Or even other stories. I would read a book and wonder about a character and what would happen if so and so happened instead. I remake that character and it's like an instant plotline. Going to new places around the world or country are also great, because my imagination almost makes me see things. And then I build on that, you know?

I see what you're saying completely. Especially with my imagination. The last time I went camping, I just felt like so many different stories could take place in that forest...what with the perfect weather, the abundance of animals, the peaceful sounds of nature itself...it was hard not to fill my camping journal with the countless numbers of plot ideas I was picturing.

Leloo 07-09-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 140652)

Oh, wow. Um... Inspiration. It just kinda comes to me. I only write stories about wolves because it's my specialty, and my passion. But when you've got a good story going, it's all you think about, all you daydream about. When you have to sit down and organize your story ideas on paper, chances are, you'll end up writing NONE of those stories. A new one will come along when inspiration strikes--and that's the one you've been looking for all along.

Inspiration is a huge thing in writing. Time to open your eyes. It's all about experience and imagination working together to create new ideas. Take things you've seen, done, worked with, and make it into something completely unique and spectacular. That's the key to a brilliant idea.

WolfWriter 07-09-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leloo (Post 140664)
Oh, wow. Um... Inspiration. It just kinda comes to me. I only write stories about wolves because it's my specialty, and my passion. But when you've got a good story going, it's all you think about, all you daydream about. When you have to sit down and organize your story ideas on paper, chances are, you'll end up writing NONE of those stories. A new one will come along when inspiration strikes--and that's the one you've been looking for all along.

Inspiration is a huge thing in writing. Time to open your eyes. It's all about experience and imagination working together to create new ideas. Take things you've seen, done, worked with, and make it into something completely unique and spectacular. That's the key to a brilliant idea.

Oh, I agree completely! Our books are our perfect books, the ones we wish existed. And now they do. I don't know that writing is about having fun. It is fun, and it can be thrilling and a brilliant experience, but I think the reason we really write is because we're hoping that our book will be the one someone needs. That it will follow at least one person for the rest of their lives. That, in itself, is worth the struggles. Thinking about that just helps me overcome writer's block, too. I don't get that like most people. A lot of authors don't know what to do next, but my problem is knowing everything that will happen and putting it on paper.

Leloo 07-09-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 140669)
Oh, I agree completely! Our books are our perfect books, the ones we wish existed. And now they do. I don't know that writing is about having fun. It is fun, and it can be thrilling and a brilliant experience, but I think the reason we really write is because we're hoping that our book will be the one someone needs. That it will follow at least one person for the rest of their lives. That, in itself, is worth the struggles. Thinking about that just helps me overcome writer's block, too. I don't get that like most people. A lot of authors don't know what to do next, but my problem is knowing everything that will happen and putting it on paper.

Exactly! I write for myself, but I also write for the people who may want this story as much as I do.

Leloo 07-09-2011 08:56 PM

Psst, Wolf!

*interview pause*
LST says that you may be able to make a thread private, and personally choose the people you want to view it. :)

WolfWriter 07-09-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leloo (Post 140672)
Exactly! I write for myself, but I also write for the people who may want this story as much as I do.

I hate it when people get offended, saying that they only write for themselves and that no one else matters. Really, they do matter. We care about the readers' opinions. I know there are people who disagree with me on that but...

TheAshWolf 07-09-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 140682)
I hate it when people get offended, saying that they only write for themselves and that no one else matters. Really, they do matter. We care about the readers' opinions. I know there are people who disagree with me on that but...

I agree, really. I mean, my main goal is to please myself somewhat. Even so...I can't help but want to please my readers. I feel like it's my job as the author to take them on a journey that they will willingly go on, you know?

TheAshWolf 07-09-2011 09:16 PM

Is it just me, or do you all feel a sort of connection to your characters? I always feel a little hurt when I have to put my characters through a tough situation. And even when the villains die...I almost regret their deaths.

What is it that connects an author to its characters? I feel that it's because we were the ones that created them. We weaved their personalities. We gave them their looks, their feelings, their words.

How do you two feel about this?

WolfWriter 07-09-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAshWolf (Post 140691)
Is it just me, or do you all feel a sort of connection to your characters? I always feel a little hurt when I have to put my characters through a tough situation. And even when the villains die...I almost regret their deaths.

What is it that connects an author to its characters? I feel that it's because we were the ones that created them. We weaved their personalities. We gave them their looks, their feelings, their words.

*pause interview* *whispers* We'll get to characters later :3 Tell you then :D

WolfWriter 07-09-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAshWolf (Post 140685)
I agree, really. I mean, my main goal is to please myself somewhat. Even so...I can't help but want to please my readers. I feel like it's my job as the author to take them on a journey that they will willingly go on, you know?

Yes! That's our job! There are always people who love the book and people who hate it, but we can't please everyone. It's hard for me when someone doesn't enjoy it, even if there are so many more who did like it. I just feel like I've failed at my mission.

TheAshWolf 07-09-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 140693)

*pause*
Oh, sorry. :3 Thanks for telling me.

TheAshWolf 07-09-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 140694)
Yes! That's our job! There are always people who love the book and people who hate it, but we can't please everyone. It's hard for me when someone doesn't enjoy it, even if there are so many more who did like it. I just feel like I've failed at my mission.

Exactly! And if someone doesn't like our work, I think that it can be turned into a learning experience. Why doesn't this person like the story? Not descriptive enough? Too short? Are the events a little too predictable?

Now, there is one fact we must all face: It is impossible to please everyone. Maybe someone just doesn't enjoy the same genre as you. You have the right to like the genre you like, and so do they. That's what makes us individuals--our likes and dislikes.

WolfWriter 07-09-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAshWolf (Post 140696)
Exactly! And if someone doesn't like our work, I think that it can be turned into a learning experience. Why doesn't this person like the story? Not descriptive enough? Too short? Are the events a little too predictable?

Now, there is one fact we must all face: It is impossible to please everyone. Maybe someone just doesn't enjoy the same genre as you. You have the right to like the genre you like, and so do they. That's what makes us individuals--our likes and dislikes.

Agreed. When I finish editing, and I'm content, I have a hard time not taking everything to heart and changing it all. It would be boring if everyone liked the same stuff and had the same opinion. I love fans but I value haters almost just as much, no matter how heart-breaking it is to see that I didn't meet their standards.

Leloo 07-09-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAshWolf (Post 140691)

Rowan. After I wrote his death scene, I was really disappointed and sad throughout the day. And later on in the story, I really wanted to bring him back; I missed writing about him.

Villains, on the other hand, are a bit different. I usually give them a chance to live, but that's about it. I have a different kind of connection with them.

The strongest connection I've had with characters were the ones from SOG. I created their lives, their world! It was hard to write an ending, and I felt like I was almost abandoning them. Which is exactly why the ending was happy--I'd like to leave them there on that peaceful, lighthearted note.

Leloo 07-09-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 140693)

*pauses interview* Ooops! I already posted my response to the character thing... XD

Leloo 07-09-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAshWolf (Post 140696)

And we can't let that stop us, right? I'm all about learning new things, obtaining knowledge in order to improve my work. That's one of the benefits of having readers--they're not just adoring fans. They're an audience, and your personal editors. We really appreciate their comments and opinions, good and bad.

WolfWriter 07-10-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leloo (Post 140738)
And we can't let that stop us, right? I'm all about learning new things, obtaining knowledge in order to improve my work. That's one of the benefits of having readers--they're not just adoring fans. They're an audience, and your personal editors. We really appreciate their comments and opinions, good and bad.

Some more than others. [Laughs] But I know what you mean. Readers are a huge inspiration for me once I get started, but there's also a lot of pressure because they have this idea in mind of what they think should happen. And we don't want that. It's our book.

Leloo 07-10-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 141077)
Some more than others. [Laughs] But I know what you mean. Readers are a huge inspiration for me once I get started, but there's also a lot of pressure because they have this idea in mind of what they think should happen. And we don't want that. It's our book.

It's always a good sign when the readers are making predictions; it lets you know that your story is compelling and thought provoking. Which brings us back to how much we value our readers' opinions; I feel like writing the story is a way to thank them, to show our appreciation.

WolfWriter 07-10-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leloo (Post 141092)
It's always a good sign when the readers are making predictions; it lets you know that your story is compelling and thought provoking. Which brings us back to how much we value our readers' opinions; I feel like writing the story is a way to thank them, to show our appreciation.

Except for when they have the entire thing planned out and when you write it your way, they get upset because maybe that's not what they wanted to happen. Predicting is one thing, because you know theyre getting into it, but writing the next book in their heads? That doesn't make me want to write anymore, personally. But maybe that's just me.

Leloo 07-10-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 141109)
Except for when they have the entire thing planned out and when you write it your way, they get upset because maybe that's not what they wanted to happen. Predicting is one thing, because you know theyre getting into it, but writing the next book in their heads? That doesn't make me want to write anymore, personally. But maybe that's just me.

I don't think I've had any readers write the next book in their heads. Not that I've ever gotten around to writing a sequel. I've actually had people advise me to not write a sequel. [laughs] But I guess I see what you mean. That could get kinda annoying, as you have this whole idea planned out in your mind but the readers want something else. So what do you do? Do you stick with your plan, or change it to meet their expectations? If it were me, I'd go with my instincts. Chances are, that's your best shot. The readers will understand. They'll probably end up liking it more than their own idea. And besides; you're the author.

TheAshWolf 07-11-2011 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 141109)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leloo (Post 141310)
I don't think I've had any readers write the next book in their heads. Not that I've ever gotten around to writing a sequel. I've actually had people advise me to not write a sequel. [laughs] But I guess I see what you mean. That could get kinda annoying, as you have this whole idea planned out in your mind but the readers want something else. So what do you do? Do you stick with your plan, or change it to meet their expectations? If it were me, I'd go with my instincts. Chances are, that's your best shot. The readers will understand. They'll probably end up liking it more than their own idea. And besides; you're the author.

I have had some of my readers do just that. My earliest followers--the small group of friends I had at my old school--seemed to have one outcome they expected and wanted. When it didn't turn out that way, a few of them seemed almost offended. I was glad that they were really getting into the story...but I didn't change the event they didn't anticipate. Yes, it can be a good thing to tailor the events to your readers' liking...but you are the author. :) What makes your story yours is how you want it to go.

Even with this in mind...I couldn't help but wonder if I should write beyond that one ending event. If they didn't like the ending...would they even care to read the rest?

It's a tricky subject, I know. But I really do agree with AV. Go with your gut. If you feel you should go on and leave it how you wrote it, then that is what you should do.

WolfWriter 07-12-2011 05:33 PM

On Series

Sorry, Allie, I know you don't have a series but you'll still be a great part of this discussion. Alright, now what made you make a series or not make a series?

Leloo 07-12-2011 07:09 PM

On Series

Like I said earlier, the readers of my story advised me to not write a sequel because they believed the ending was already perfect. I agree with them completely, and I'm leaving it as a standalone title.

I recently began writing a trilogy because I felt that one book wasn't enough. My first story had a great ending, and it didn't need a second book to extend it. That was the end of the characters' journey, their struggle; there wasn't anything else to follow it up. It was The End.

But I really wanted an idea that could span over a number of books. I wanted to keep the adventures going, keep the characters alive, and keep the readers involved.

Leloo 07-20-2011 09:56 AM

*pause interview* Um... are we still doing this? Guys? *cricket sounds* XD Okay, um, I'll just be waiting here... :3

TheAshWolf 07-28-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leloo (Post 151026)
*pause interview* Um... are we still doing this? Guys? *cricket sounds* XD Okay, um, I'll just be waiting here... :3

O_0 It kinda faded into the background, didn't it? XD

WolfWriter 09-15-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAshWolf (Post 159056)
O_0 It kinda faded into the background, didn't it? XD

...Yep...

*cicadas*

...Well. I dunno about you but I feel like drinking some tea and watching Doctor Who. So...yeah.

Jack 09-15-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 140644)
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Do NOT post ANYTHING on this thread, and do NOT read it! D:

If there is one thing I beg of you, it is that you don't read it! One thing. Please. Don't read, don't comment. I know you COULD read it and not mention it but I would seriously be really disappointed because I'm saying right now that this was going to be over email but it won't work out. This is a private conversation.

Don't. Read. It. Don't. Comment. On. It.

That is what I expect of you: the follow those requests.

Please. This will be open to the public LATER. Be patient. Please. Please.

Those who can read and comment, you know who you are and have been notified. So everyone else will see new posts here, but that does not me a free-for-all. Got it?

Thank you in advance.

Hmmmmmmm. I don't think you made that clear enough.:D

TheAshWolf 09-16-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfWriter (Post 187825)
...Yep...

*cicadas*

...Well. I dunno about you but I feel like drinking some tea and watching Doctor Who. So...yeah.

*gasps* I was just two seconds away from clicking on the next episode of Doctor Who! :D And I bought some peppermint tea. YAYZ! *squashes a cicada* *runs off*

magsiscool 09-16-2011 02:30 PM

Opps im a trouble maker

:p:rolleyes: You cant really keep me from nosing into stuff.............. Or can you????????????????????????