The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Contests (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Big KP Writing Contest? (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=4377)

coolcate781 02-22-2015 06:03 PM

Big KP Writing Contest?

So I've been kind of missing the awesome KP writing contest that Perry used to run... you know, the ones where you could win Amazon gift cards? Yeah, those ones.

Obviously any user-run contest is not going to have a cash prize, and usually when people run contest the rewards for winners are things like CC, book reviews, book covers and sketches.

I've tried creating these type of contests before, but none of them have been very successful (at all). So I was wondering if someone, or multiple people, for that matter, wanted to pair up with me to create a big KP writing contest/championship/hullabaloo.

IDK what the prizes could be. I like doing book reviews and book covers, but I'm horrible at drawing. If somebody was willing to partner with me, maybe we could put our talents together and create some sort of fantastical reward or something. It's not going to be money... but hopefully it'll be good enough.

Okay, so anybody with me? :)

mysterygirl 02-22-2015 06:51 PM

I've missed a good contest

Cherrybomb 02-22-2015 07:12 PM

Yeah I miss those contests. It's understandable that Perry is busy, but...it's been a year since the last contest. ;~; There may be other reasons, I wouldn't know. I hope they come back soon though!

If you do a contest for the month of March, I might be able to help out with the prizes, since my spring break starts on 3/30. :3

coolcate781 02-22-2015 07:24 PM

Okay, here's an idea. We could do a contest for March/April. For example, the contest would start in, say, mid-March and go until early to mid-April. What ideas do you have for the prize?

I'm thinking it could maybe be a 3 or 4 round contest. There is a new topic for each round, and you have to write a new story. Or it could just be a regular contest, where you enter one story/poem/excerpt from your novel.

IDK, what do you think?

Cherrybomb 02-22-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolcate781 (Post 566264)
Okay, here's an idea. We could do a contest for March/April. For example, the contest would start in, say, mid-March and go until early to mid-April. What ideas do you have for the prize?

I'm thinking it could maybe be a 3 or 4 round contest. There is a new topic for each round, and you have to write a new story. Or it could just be a regular contest, where you enter one story/poem/excerpt from your novel.

IDK, what do you think?

Why not a contest for just March? You could have a round for every week of it (so four). :3 Then again, lots of people have state testing during the next few months...it might be a bit quick for some.

Swallowtail 02-22-2015 08:37 PM

I can do all/any of the drawing. This sounds really cool.
I joined a day too late to join the last contest, and I was expecting to be able to enter the next one.
But really, I shouldn't complain, considering all the people who entered and never got the results.

coolcate781 02-22-2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherrybomb (Post 566269)
Why not a contest for just March? You could have a round for every week of it (so four). :3 Then again, lots of people have state testing during the next few months...it might be a bit quick for some.

That is definitely a good idea, but as you said, lots of people have state testing during that time (well, actually, I live in Canada, so IDK :))

Maybe we could do a three-round March writing contest instead- that way each round will have a deadline over a week. Another idea that came to me after posting my previous comment was this: why not do a single-round contest where there are three categories you can post entries in. Poetry, Short Story, and Excerpt From Novel. I tried to do this in an old contest of mine, but I never finished it.

Which do you think would be better?

By the way, thank you so much for offering to help out with the prizes!

coolcate781 02-22-2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swallowtail (Post 566270)
I can do all/any of the drawing. This sounds really cool.
I joined a day too late to join the last contest, and I was expecting to be able to enter the next one.
But really, I shouldn't complain, considering all the people who entered and never got the results.

Thank you for offering! That would be great. :D

Swallowtail 02-22-2015 10:02 PM

I have really good pens and pencils, but no good digital art programs, if that's what you're looking for.

meerkat 02-22-2015 10:15 PM

I shall handle all the layout/graphic design related tasks :3