The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Story Ideas (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Getting a plot and NOT abandoning it? -_- (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=1285)

L.S.Trendom 04-17-2011 09:04 PM

Getting a plot and NOT abandoning it? -_-

My stories tend to die from lack of plot, or I abandon them. For example, I posted a prologue a few days ago. A day or two after it was posted, I pretty much completely abandoned it and took one of the characters into a new plot. I wrote a quick draft of that prologue not very long ago. Now I'm considering abandoning that one too. *Sigh* -_-
I have about three random plots floating in my head(including the prologue one). None of them are very detailed.
Bleh. -_- How do I come up with a good plot that I like that is detailed compared to most of mine(which aren't really detailed. At all. -_-), and not abandon it? *Head desks repeatedly* :P

GabiDi 04-17-2011 09:10 PM

Okay. Here's my advice, and if it doesn't work...uh, I'll be out of the country. ;)

a) Write about several different characters that have a similiarity. Maybe they're adopted; maybe they're super artistic; maybe they have the same birthday. Maybe it's something physical, like they're all at this one place during this one time. Then, join their stories together. Tweak things here and there and before you know it, you have several intertwining plots. :D

b) Combine abandoned stories.

Kiwara 04-17-2011 09:20 PM

Well...I'm not completely sure. With me, when I get a new idea I get excited, because it's an idea I haven't previously thought of, or it's an idea that really started out as a random(as in completely random, my brain was secretly on something at the time or that's what I get for allowing it to wander around) scene that sticks with me. And then my mind spends the next who knows how long connecting them. But with my plots, they're usually haphazard, not drawn out or even completed. Take the story with Isaac in it-I actually thought up some possible titles...like Protectors from the Stars or one that was thought up by someone else, whom of which my short term memory can't exactly remember, Sent from the Stars-. It's only thought up about half way. Like I honestly have no idea what's going to happen after a certain point, or how it's going to end. Same with Aakaash. I only just thought up a really good next few parts plot, but after that, yeah nothing. So, sticking with them is really important. You have to have some sort of enthusiasm(yeah, I know, I'm sorry word, I killed you) for the story. It's like a drive to actually finish it. Maybe make some really humorous characters, or write about something you really like(for me it's dragons, death stories and currently, griffins). Oh, and think of some awesome plot twists or something unexpected that could happen. Another way I think you could stick with it is if you wrote down a basic outline of what's going to happen in each chapter(I should really consider doing this, but it's less fun) unless you like the wiggle room where you can change stuff. Personally that's what I'm good with working with, just because my mind is the type that'll get almost done, or half way or to 103 pages(glares at Obsidian) before deciding, right then and there, that it's done. It doesn't like the plot anymore, it's too rushed, too crappy, too needs to be changed and made a million times better, ect. But if you're the type of person that can handle that type of structure and stick with it, then by all means try it out. If not, then just do what I do. Start it and then think about it a lot, try to work it out in your mind in your free time. I hope this helps. :D

L.S.Trendom 04-17-2011 09:36 PM

Gabi: I shall try it! :D If I included abandoned poems too, I think it might turn out as gibberish. :P

Kiwara: Thanks! :D I'm pretty sure you didn't kill enthusiasm, unlike me who tried spelling it entusiasm. :P

kgs221 04-18-2011 08:59 AM

Let the plot come from real expieriences, or real people. Don't use generators or prompts or pictures to get you started. Cause I always abandoned those. But if its a story that you spend time developing it'll work.

L.S.Trendom 04-18-2011 09:35 PM

:D This time the story survived a DAY before I started thinking, "What if this is cliche? This plot isn't very good!" :D *Sarcasm* -_-

GabiDi 04-19-2011 12:58 AM

Okay. Here's my advice, which I got from a writing guide.

DON'T GIVE YOURSELF CC.

At least, not for a while. Free-write. Scribble down your writing and even if the phrases are clumsy, the metaphors are cliche and the characters are bland, keep going and don't critique. :D

nemo8799 04-19-2011 12:30 PM

Oh I hate when that happens! I ALWAYS abandom my stories. Errrr.:(

L.S.Trendom 04-30-2011 11:04 PM

*Head desk* *Head desk* *Head desk* *Head desk* *Continues head desking until the desk crumbles* ARGH!!!!!!!!!!! *Head desks again* I've been coming up with plots, and liking some of them. Then I go, "Ehhhhhh…" and abandon it before I write anything. T-T *EPIC head desk* Like, right now, I currently have a basic idea, and I like it some… but I know that I'm probably going to abandon it… and, which is why I epic head desked, I JUST(as in right before writing *EPIC head desk*) thought of another idea, that's even basicer(I currently don't care that that isn't a word). As in just a scene and a character. Only part of a scene, even. *Head floors repeatedly*

So, yeah, like now I'm going to go and start writing the prologue for that new scene idea. The idea is forming… :D T-T

Or, you know, I'm going to procrastinate… *Head floor*

GabiDi 04-30-2011 11:18 PM

Xd Stop It! You're Going To Crack The Floor!! Xd