The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Story Ideas (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The Rant About What you're Writing Thread. (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=4267)

Zelda 12-12-2016 01:00 PM

Guys what if i gave this one character high-function autism, and he learns ASL and prefers to speak that way because he finds easier not to have to deal with the whole speaking and listening stimuli and he and this split-souled/dual personality girl go on a journey together because reasons, and somewhere along the journey he starts signing something to her whenever they talk and she has no idea what it means.
And then right before shit hits the fan, they're talking and she's like, so uh, what does that mean?
And then he goes, oh, uh, it means I love you, or I care about, or something cute like that.

Zelda 12-12-2016 01:27 PM

And then she dies and he loses his hand trying to save her, thus also losing the ability to sign properly.
Ya know,
Because we can't have a happy ending or anything.

Garrett 12-12-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda (Post 592861)
And then she dies and he loses his hand trying to save her, thus also losing the ability to sign properly.
Ya know,
Because we can't have a happy ending or anything.

omg omg.
please make this real.

AlgebraAddict 12-12-2016 11:49 PM

so do I keep this depressed teen romance just a depressed teen romance or do I make it an action/mystery novel where samuel avenges his dead sister and holy shit this should be a thing

Garrett 12-13-2016 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict (Post 592899)
so do I keep this depressed teen romance just a depressed teen romance or do I make it an action/mystery novel where samuel avenges his dead sister and holy shit this should be a thing

bitch you ALWAYS go for the action mystery novel if there is a chance for an action mystery novel

Zelda 12-13-2016 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett (Post 592892)
omg omg.
please make this real.

Gonna do it

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict (Post 592899)

Do that. omk you gotta. you are required by law to do that.

SilverMoon 12-13-2016 12:24 AM

me: oh man Alexander has suffered so much
me @ me: torture him more

https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.c...lity=85&w=1012

july3girl 12-18-2016 02:21 AM

the country/kingdom that they're fighting against (in a war) is loosely based off of america and they're really bad am i going to jail

july3girl 12-21-2016 02:30 PM

why is world building so harddddddd

Garrett 12-21-2016 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by july3girl (Post 592998)
the country/kingdom that they're fighting against (in a war) is loosely based off of america and they're really bad am i going to jail

The first amendment, Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Press.

you won't get in trouble lol.

july3girl 12-21-2016 10:15 PM

i've literally been writing/rewriting this chunk of 500 words for several weeks send help

otaku 12-23-2016 12:20 AM

I just love the way three of these vignettes turned out so much!

Gracithe1andonly 12-26-2016 06:16 PM

I seem to be writing a version of Lord of the Rings in which Aragorn is a computer program, please help me

AlgebraAddict 12-26-2016 06:38 PM

cAN WE JUST TALK ABOUT MY SOUL STORY THAT I STARTED WHEN I WAS 11 YEARS OLD

and now i'm starting it from scratch and i'm still totally in love with these characters

xeno is just this adorable duckling who's super good with a sword and when he was a freshman at dante alighieri school of weaponry he tried to run away with his freshman sweetheart Emma?? and they were caught by this fucking evil lady called Cassandra and she's like 100% medieval I love her so much. anyways she like scratched them up pretty bad and then told xeno that if he ever spoke to his cutie again she would kill aforementioned cutie, and then she forced him to come live with her (in a completely non sexual way thank god ew) so she could keep an eye on him. and now he's totally cooperative with her even though she's FUCKING EVIL and emma ofc thinks he's just 100% betrayed her and she's pretty pissed at him bUT SHE DOESN'T NKOW HE'S DOING IT ALL TO SAVE HER AND ASFDJKL;FDAJ;JKLDJKL;;KJLE;HIWTO;HIOA i love my babiessss

Gracithe1andonly 12-26-2016 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracithe1andonly (Post 593108)
I seem to be writing a version of Lord of the Rings in which Aragorn is a computer program, please help me

Quote:

“It’s so strong now, it knows me too well,” ARATHORN began speaking cohesively and his holographic image stopped flickering as he smiled in a tragic, ghostly way. “I have a choice to make. I can compromise this database and leave the lesser programs to fight it, or I can bait ARROW away. It’s only after me.”
Elladan was about to tell him to bait the virus away from the database, by all means, but then he realized. Away from here, ARATHORN would have no resources. ARROW would destroy him, then, never sated but unable to find another target, destroy itself. “No. No. ARATHORN, you’re the last of your kind.”
“Not quite,” ARATHORN smiled. “GILRAEN and I have made one. Download him into your phone. He’s quite small.”
“You made a new model without telling us?” Elrohir was unable to believe the cheek of ARATHORN. Sentient though he was, he was still a security program made to protect his manufacturers. Elrohir reflected that he was also made to survive long enough to be restored to the ruling position of the GONDOR database, and if he was aware that he was beginning to deteriorate or that he was in danger, he would reproduce himself in order to be sure that GONDOR would one day be restored to its former glory, whether his guardians approved or not.
what the heck am I doing

Gracithe1andonly 12-26-2016 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict (Post 593109)
cAN WE JUST TALK ABOUT MY SOUL STORY THAT I STARTED WHEN I WAS 11 YEARS OLD

and now i'm starting it from scratch and i'm still totally in love with these characters

xeno is just this adorable duckling who's super good with a sword and when he was a freshman at dante alighieri school of weaponry he tried to run away with his freshman sweetheart Emma?? and they were caught by this fucking evil lady called Cassandra and she's like 100% medieval I love her so much. anyways she like scratched them up pretty bad and then told xeno that if he ever spoke to his cutie again she would kill aforementioned cutie, and then she forced him to come live with her (in a completely non sexual way thank god ew) so she could keep an eye on him. and now he's totally cooperative with her even though she's FUCKING EVIL and emma ofc thinks he's just 100% betrayed her and she's pretty pissed at him bUT SHE DOESN'T NKOW HE'S DOING IT ALL TO SAVE HER AND ASFDJKL;FDAJ;JKLDJKL;;KJLE;HIWTO;HIOA i love my babiessss

I think this is gonna be great!!

Gracithe1andonly 12-28-2016 03:19 PM

so firefall didn't really happen when Russell went roof diving
it happened before that
when he gave up his fire to despair

I am dreading writing firefall because pain
but looking forward to it because we get to see what makes Russell tick

Gracithe1andonly 12-28-2016 03:55 PM

"black hair that stood up as if it had been rubbed all over with a balloon."
-fave description of marcus' hair

Gracithe1andonly 12-28-2016 05:34 PM

the only part of this that is believable is the stupidity of fourteen year old boys

Zelda 12-28-2016 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracithe1andonly (Post 593157)
the only part of this that is believable is the stupidity of fourteen year old boys

^ just about died laughing over that

Zelda 12-28-2016 09:12 PM

so i'm planning another novel (despite the fact that i've 67892714 uncompleted stories) and the main characters are preciousssss
Asael is a smol bean who hasn't had non-guard contact in ages and is hyper-friendly and excited to meet new people and make as many friends as possible because he's so starved for real interaction. (it's a prison fic)
Basya is really loud and flirty and is alcoholic, and they're hermaphroditic/androgynous and constantly have to deal with getting misgendered, which seriously ticks them off.
and AJ is that one quite friend who randomly knows things about everyone and everything. Also he's ace/demiromantic and at some point i think i want either Basya or Asael to be like 'you know I don't swing that way, right?' and him to get super confused/flustered and respond like 'what, no, nonono nooo, you got the wrong idea, mate'.
c:

so yeah, i'm also plotting how i'm going to torture them until they snap in half, because character development y'all. this is gon b fun to write

Gracithe1andonly 12-28-2016 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda (Post 593161)
so i'm planning another novel (despite the fact that i've 67892714 uncompleted stories) and the main characters are preciousssss
Asael is a smol bean who hasn't had non-guard contact in ages and is hyper-friendly and excited to meet new people and make as many friends as possible because he's so starved for real interaction. (it's a prison fic)
Basya is really loud and flirty and is alcoholic, and they're hermaphroditic/androgynous and constantly have to deal with getting misgendered, which seriously ticks them off.
and AJ is that one quite friend who randomly knows things about everyone and everything. Also he's ace/demiromantic and at some point i think i want either Basya or Asael to be like 'you know I don't swing that way, right?' and him to get super confused/flustered and respond like 'what, no, nonono nooo, you got the wrong idea, mate'.
c:

so yeah, i'm also plotting how i'm going to torture them until they snap in half, because character development y'all. this is gon b fun to write

the amount of projects is relatable tho and this sounds fun!!

AlgebraAddict 12-29-2016 10:28 PM

https://www.kidpub.com/book-page-or-...mma-1857160205

guyS PLEASE READ U DONT HAVE TO READ ANYTHING ELSE BEFORE FOR IT TO MAKE SENSE *HOPEFULLY* SO JUST GO FOR IT

july3girl 12-30-2016 01:34 PM

ok so i am in the middle of world building for warrior but it's soo hard because i've never done something like this before-- i've never gone this far into building a fantasy world, especially one as diverse as the one in this story. so i'm trying to figure out language/race/climate/etc. for each country/kingdom/territory without making a thinly veiled stereotype of china or the middle east or what not. also i know that in our world it doesn't make sense for the white people to have an island nation but i kind of need them there because it's far from the og kingdom and i'm trying to make the white people sort of exotic and ridiculous and strange for our squad. (also i realize that having them live on an island nation does not make them "exotic" but the point is i want land diversity in this book and it just makes the most sense geographically for the white people to live on an island the furthest from our home empire/kingdom.)

ALSO the last time i wrote a story was years ago and i never wrote with poc because i was young and naive and almost all of my main characters are poc and i'm trying so hard not to be accidentally racist. (yes yes i know the struggles of a privileged white author)

oh and i found this awesome blog called writing with color that has been so helpful so i put the link there if anyone wants it. even if you're not writing a story, it's super interesting to read about and yeah.

so back to writing...

SilverMoon 12-30-2016 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by july3girl (Post 593196)
ok so i am in the middle of world building for warrior but it's soo hard because i've never done something like this before-- i've never gone this far into building a fantasy world, especially one as diverse as the one in this story. so i'm trying to figure out language/race/climate/etc. for each country/kingdom/territory without making a thinly veiled stereotype of china or the middle east or what not. also i know that in our world it doesn't make sense for the white people to have an island nation but i kind of need them there because it's far from the og kingdom and i'm trying to make the white people sort of exotic and ridiculous and strange for our squad. (also i realize that having them live on an island nation does not make them "exotic" but the point is i want land diversity in this book and it just makes the most sense geographically for the white people to live on an island the furthest from our home empire/kingdom.)

ALSO the last time i wrote a story was years ago and i never wrote with poc because i was young and naive and almost all of my main characters are poc and i'm trying so hard not to be accidentally racist. (yes yes i know the struggles of a privileged white author)

oh and i found this awesome blog called writing with color that has been so helpful so i put the link there if anyone wants it. even if you're not writing a story, it's super interesting to read about and yeah.

so back to writing...

as a privileged white person i feel ur pain lol
like, when i first came up with the idea of Twilight Talisman, pretty much everyone was white, I think? except Kailani wasn't. like, I didn't think very much of race at that time 5 years ago, I just had mostly white people because I was white. now in Twilight Talisman, the very very prototype revamping, Sanna is still white, I know that much, but I don't know anything else lol. also, back then my characters never had sexualities bc I was simply too young to have been exposed to romance so I could write of it, also everyone was cis because back in 2012 I had no idea anything else existed.

And then there's now.

In Sin Game, Chase is a biracial Japanese-English asexual (probably. haven't given much thought to sexuality), well I mean I think he's cis male?, and then there's December, who is white but being white isn't bad, she's English/Nordic/Celtic, and probably gay-ace spectrum, and then there's Catalan-Puerto Rican trans girl Maude who is idk probably bi or something, and not "white-passing" either, and then there's Liam who's Italian-Irish, so I mean, white I guess, but has a more olive skin tone (and belongs to a family with a mixed Muslim-Christian background, but religion doesn't play much of a part in sg anyway so) and is definitely not heterosexual, and then there's Belarusian-Welsh definitely-not-straight Cystenian all living in a very very diverse city and relationships are somewhat ambiguous but like, I mean, no one is strictly monogamous. You can ship like any of the five with each other, and there are several ot3s, and they're all an ot5.

In Jill and I's gay necromancer pain, Callixtus is an undead Roman, so like yeah he's white but he was born in an upper-class family in Rome in the 300s soooOoo, also is the exact antonym of Heterosexual Male, and there's also Inanna who is an Iraqi-Lebanese Beiruti, also No One Is Heterosexual. You'll notice that like, actually none of my characters are actually heterosexual. Also probably no one is neurotypical but.

uhhhHHHH in Our Kingdom of Loneliness Marzanna is a Polish-Czech aroace-spec in a Roman Catholic family and her closest companion Amir is a Bangladeshi aroace-spec transboy (?) in a Buddhist-Hindu family.

in Sun, Moon, and Sky, given that Morrigan comes from the north she probably has white skin bc melanin, her culture isn't really part of a "dominant race" though, like idk if there's really any racism or anything in this world anyway I haven't gotten that far? And she's not particularly feminine, she uses she/her pronouns but also doesn't mind any pronouns and also keeps her chest bound and don't need no romance. She loves hr boys tho. Given that Tihomir is an islander and Koen comes from a place not far south of the equator, neither of them are "white" probably, but they are of different races i think. Did I mention no one is straight and Koen and Tihomir may be romantically involved at some point.

anyways, my casts are very diverse I'd say, bc I enjoy exploring different types of people haha

Zelda 12-30-2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverMoon (Post 593201)
as a privileged white person i feel ur pain lol
like, when i first came up with the idea of Twilight Talisman, pretty much everyone was white, I think? except Kailani wasn't. like, I didn't think very much of race at that time 5 years ago, I just had mostly white people because I was white. now in Twilight Talisman, the very very prototype revamping, Sanna is still white, I know that much, but I don't know anything else lol. also, back then my characters never had sexualities bc I was simply too young to have been exposed to romance so I could write of it, also everyone was cis because back in 2012 I had no idea anything else existed.

And then there's now.

In Sin Game, Chase is a biracial Japanese-English asexual (probably. haven't given much thought to sexuality), well I mean I think he's cis male?, and then there's December, who is white but being white isn't bad, she's English/Nordic/Celtic, and probably gay-ace spectrum, and then there's Catalan-Puerto Rican trans girl Maude who is idk probably bi or something, and not "white-passing" either, and then there's Liam who's Italian-Irish, so I mean, white I guess, but has a more olive skin tone (and belongs to a family with a mixed Muslim-Christian background, but religion doesn't play much of a part in sg anyway so) and is definitely not heterosexual, and then there's Belarusian-Welsh definitely-not-straight Cystenian all living in a very very diverse city and relationships are somewhat ambiguous but like, I mean, no one is strictly monogamous. You can ship like any of the five with each other, and there are several ot3s, and they're all an ot5.

In Jill and I's gay necromancer pain, Callixtus is an undead Roman, so like yeah he's white but he was born in an upper-class family in Rome in the 300s soooOoo, also is the exact antonym of Heterosexual Male, and there's also Inanna who is an Iraqi-Lebanese Beiruti, also No One Is Heterosexual. You'll notice that like, actually none of my characters are actually heterosexual. Also probably no one is neurotypical but.

uhhhHHHH in Our Kingdom of Loneliness Marzanna is a Polish-Czech aroace-spec in a Roman Catholic family and her closest companion Amir is a Bangladeshi aroace-spec transboy (?) in a Buddhist-Hindu family.

in Sun, Moon, and Sky, given that Morrigan comes from the north she probably has white skin bc melanin, her culture isn't really part of a "dominant race" though, like idk if there's really any racism or anything in this world anyway I haven't gotten that far? And she's not particularly feminine, she uses she/her pronouns but also doesn't mind any pronouns and also keeps her chest bound and don't need no romance. She loves hr boys tho. Given that Tihomir is an islander and Koen comes from a place not far south of the equator, neither of them are "white" probably, but they are of different races i think. Did I mention no one is straight and Koen and Tihomir may be romantically involved at some point.

anyways, my casts are very diverse I'd say, bc I enjoy exploring different types of people haha

ohh, all your characters sound so cool,
and actually i was thinking about this same thing earlier and was considering making a wb thread where people could discuss how their writing had changed over time.

Garrett 12-31-2016 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda (Post 593204)
and actually i was thinking about this same thing earlier and was considering making a wb thread where people could discuss how their writing had changed over time.

yes please do

otaku 12-31-2016 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda (Post 593204)

That would be interesting.
I've definitely hit the whole practically no one is heterosexual thing lmao. I try to mix it up but it's not as fun.

@silvermoon: niiiice. (Your post was really long ahaha)

Lily 12-31-2016 01:33 AM

okAY i posted a thing, and i wasn't planning on continuing it, but i've also been working on those characters for forever so, weLL, guess i'm continuing to write the thing and i'm hecking excited to work with elliot, who totally isn't a blatant self insert HA.

Zelda 01-01-2017 04:43 PM

Thready thread thread: https://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showth...224#post593224

otaku 01-03-2017 02:32 AM

When you completely revamp and sort of plan out the end of your book and you're like oops I didn't intend to have this much fantasy but what the fuck ever
Also dragons

Gracithe1andonly 01-04-2017 08:00 PM

*agressively Wants Fanart*

SilverMoon 01-04-2017 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracithe1andonly (Post 593300)
*agressively Wants Fanart*

SMAE HoNESTLY

SilverMoon 01-09-2017 02:16 AM

alexash is legitimately goals

//broken boys help fix each other

strawberry 01-09-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverMoon (Post 593401)
alexash is legitimately goals

//broken boys help fix each other

//and kiss intensely

SilverMoon 01-10-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry (Post 593408)
//and kiss intensely

lmao well ur not wrong

pbpfp is the greatest it's just me torturing Alexander for 10k words I can't wait for u to read it (for me to finish -_-)

strawberry 01-10-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverMoon (Post 593424)
lmao well ur not wrong

pbpfp is the greatest it's just me torturing Alexander for 10k words I can't wait for u to read it (for me to finish -_-)

;D

ahhhh i cant wait to read it either!!!!

Zelda 01-17-2017 12:32 PM

>Have beginning
>Have ending
>Have certain scenes planned
but...
> middle? transitions?? connecting the scenes???
>what plot. there's no plot. pfft.

otaku 01-17-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda (Post 593583)
>Have beginning
>Have ending
>Have certain scenes planned
but...
> middle? transitions?? connecting the scenes???
>what plot. there's no plot. pfft.

Yes. Excepting the ending. Lmao

Zelda 01-19-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otaku (Post 593594)
Yes. Excepting the ending. Lmao

lol endings are harddd man *flops on ground*

//

you know how 50 Shades of Grey was originally a Twilight fanfic?
k i wanna do that but instead of vampires have Creepypasta and instead of erotica write it fantasy.

can you imagine the easter egg possibilities for that? like, ohh, what a coincidence, that guy's nameplate reads S. Lenderman. huh.
John is wicked good with a knife and has some nasty tension between his bro Leo? Interesssttting,
Benji is hydrophobic? hmmmm