The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Story Ideas (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The Rant About What you're Writing Thread. (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=4267)

saphiremoon 01-13-2015 06:51 PM

I ship my protagonists way too much.
Way way way too much.

saphiremoon 01-13-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ember (Post 564455)
okay so i have this idea i really like, but it takes place over the course of someone's lifetime and i don't even know how to write it because it's all these separate events that occur at different stages of his life and does anyone even know how to write like that because i do not.

Could there be some unifying theme throughout it? Or maybe it's told from someone other than that person's perspective- so that the person would be the protagonist and/or main character, and the narrator would just be the POV character? (you could even go all Markus Zusak and do it from Death's perspective or something)

EmmaR 01-14-2015 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphiremoon (Post 564603)
Could there be some unifying theme throughout it? Or maybe it's told from someone other than that person's perspective- so that the person would be the protagonist and/or main character, and the narrator would just be the POV character? (you could even go all Markus Zusak and do it from Death's perspective or something)

Just do it vignette style. Like The Time Traveler's Wife. Give the date and their age at that time and just write. You don't even need to connect them. Just make sure there's an overarching objective.

toriluv91750 01-14-2015 01:15 AM

AAAAH FINALLY A PLACE WHERE I CAN JUST RANT ABOUT THE THINGS.
So I've discovered that I make so many of my characters, particularly the girl ones, with terrible background stories. I mean, for petes sake, I was explaining the Outlanders to a friend of mine (the entire plotline start to finish, or atleast a sot of brief summary of it) and she's just like, "so it's basically Kristina gets scr*wed" And I thought about it and I'm just like, "yeah." Now, she does get a happy ending, where she's able to settle down and live since the first time literally since she was eight but still. Her backstory is terrible and it continues through the story. I am merciless.

And then my other fav character, Gracen, also has a terrible backstory. Now, she can't remember it for a while, but eventually she does and it's just terrible. SHE ALMOST DIED ATLEAST TWICE GUISE. WHEN SHE WAS ELEVEN.

I mean honestly.

WHYYYY. WHY AM I SO TERRIBLE TO MY BABIES.

Elizabeth 01-15-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toriluv91750 (Post 564623)
AAAAH FINALLY A PLACE WHERE I CAN JUST RANT ABOUT THE THINGS.
So I've discovered that I make so many of my characters, particularly the girl ones, with terrible background stories. I mean, for petes sake, I was explaining the Outlanders to a friend of mine (the entire plotline start to finish, or atleast a sot of brief summary of it) and she's just like, "so it's basically Kristina gets scr*wed" And I thought about it and I'm just like, "yeah." Now, she does get a happy ending, where she's able to settle down and live since the first time literally since she was eight but still. Her backstory is terrible and it continues through the story. I am merciless.

And then my other fav character, Gracen, also has a terrible backstory. Now, she can't remember it for a while, but eventually she does and it's just terrible. SHE ALMOST DIED ATLEAST TWICE GUISE. WHEN SHE WAS ELEVEN.

I mean honestly.

WHYYYY. WHY AM I SO TERRIBLE TO MY BABIES.

You know, I don't think you're the only one who does that. In the story I'm working on now, the main character and another, like your Gracen, have bad back stories that they don't remember until later. Oh yeah, those two have messed up lives, it's not just their back stories.

Are those characters from the same story? It sounds interesting.

toriluv91750 01-16-2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 564732)
You know, I don't think you're the only one who does that. In the story I'm working on now, the main character and another, like your Gracen, have bad back stories that they don't remember until later. Oh yeah, those two have messed up lives, it's not just their back stories.

Are those characters from the same story? It sounds interesting.

No they're from two different stories. One is a superpower type story and the other one is Sci Fi robots, aliens, space...that kind of stuff. Grace is from the Sci Fi and Kristina is from the other one.

LizzieS 01-16-2015 06:43 PM

Ugh guys I have an idea for a story but the narrator is turning into me and I don't want to write about myself...

Also I don't know if it sounds really weird and like the narrator is in love with herself.

But basically the summary would be that it's about a girl (whose name for the moment is Amber because that's the first name that popped into my head) and she writes letters to a boy named August Lee. The thing is, though, August isn't real. Amber writes letters to a person she made up because she has anxiety issues, and it helps her calm down. Her family finds out about this and Amber accidentally convinces them that August Lee is real and that he's her pen pal, and she ends up literally sending her own letters off somewhere and having them be sent back to her house, pretending that they're letters from August. The letters help Amber temporarily but her anxiety starts getting worse as the school year progresses, until something really bad happens (like an older boy invites her to prom - who she doesn't even really like but convinces herself she likes because he's the only boy who's ever liked her - and then he dumps her and she gets really upset about it) and her older sister (Veronica - though I'll probably change that name too) decides that they're going to go on a road trip to go meet August Lee. Amber goes along with it and stuff would happen until Amber finally told her sister that August wasn't real. And I want to write it in a way that you wouldn't know August wasn't real until Amber reveals it to her sister. And it would mostly be about Amber learning to trust people and sort of growing into herself and realizing that she isn't weak.

Is that cheesy? It seems cheesy to me.

Elizabeth 01-16-2015 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzieS (Post 564750)
Ugh guys I have an idea for a story but the narrator is turning into me and I don't want to write about myself...

Also I don't know if it sounds really weird and like the narrator is in love with herself.

But basically the summary would be that it's about a girl (whose name for the moment is Amber because that's the first name that popped into my head) and she writes letters to a boy named August Lee. The thing is, though, August isn't real. Amber writes letters to a person she made up because she has anxiety issues, and it helps her calm down. Her family finds out about this and Amber accidentally convinces them that August Lee is real and that he's her pen pal, and she ends up literally sending her own letters off somewhere and having them be sent back to her house, pretending that they're letters from August. The letters help Amber temporarily but her anxiety starts getting worse as the school year progresses, until something really bad happens (like an older boy invites her to prom - who she doesn't even really like but convinces herself she likes because he's the only boy who's ever liked her - and then he dumps her and she gets really upset about it) and her older sister (Veronica - though I'll probably change that name too) decides that they're going to go on a road trip to go meet August Lee. Amber goes along with it and stuff would happen until Amber finally told her sister that August wasn't real. And I want to write it in a way that you wouldn't know August wasn't real until Amber reveals it to her sister. And it would mostly be about Amber learning to trust people and sort of growing into herself and realizing that she isn't weak.

Is that cheesy? It seems cheesy to me.

I think it sounds cool. Cheesy can be good. You should write it.

LizzieS 01-16-2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 564753)
I think it sounds cool. Cheesy can be good. You should write it.

Okay - but if she writes to this character in her head in a way that's sort of like you would write to a boyfriend/girlfriend, is that weird? Does that make it sound like she's in love with herself, since she's literally writing these letters to herself? Or does that still come across that she just kind of loves this character that she's come accustomed to writing to?

Aynonomus_Angel 01-17-2015 03:37 PM

Ughhhhhhhhhhh... I'm writing in third person and I've never done stories in third person before. This is what I have so far and I'm not quite sure that it's all that good:

~The corridor was silent as they walked. The two commanders of the Noble Guard slowly approached the eight captains that stood waiting by the front door of the fortress' main building. Theodora walked with confidence, the type that demands the attention of everyone in the room. On the other hand, Brandon trailed behind her, not showing as much power but domineering nonetheless. The two closed in on the captains and after giving a signal, the two commanders followed the captains out to where the five buses sat. Brandon and his four brothers, half of the captains, climbed into the drivers seats, Theodora and her four sisters soon following into the buses and sitting in the co-captain’s seats. They set off for the road.
~The guard was sent off by the Grand Council to protect a boarding school. There had been ten kidnappings in the past four months.

saphiremoon 01-20-2015 08:36 PM

So I'd like your guys' opinion on somethingg... (and idek where to post this it's kinda like a rant about what I'm not writing/going to write)

Recently, I've been having a lot of snippets of ideas coming to me– cool things, but not something I'd like to carry over a novel. I do want to do something with them, though, and I want to try to post more on the NSP, so what would you guys think of a group of stories that're sort of novellas-short stories that I post on the NSP? I'd post them in bite-size segments, and actually post as I write (which I've never done before), and so they'd be like chapter books, except a lot shorter.

Idk if that made sense but would you guys be interested in reading something that length?

saphiremoon 01-28-2015 05:52 PM

crying because of things I'm going to do to my characters

wriiitteeerrr prrrooobbleeemmssss ;-;

EmmaR 01-28-2015 11:20 PM

I GOT A CONFIRMATION EMAIL FROM THE YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS INC. THAT THEY GOT MY PLAY EEeeeEEEEeeeeeeeeEEEE

toriluv91750 01-29-2015 02:23 AM

So I'm doing a new thing. It's a fantasy thing. And I'm not sure I'm very good at it. I'm trying to write for it right now and dayum I think it's harder to get my thoughts out here than for my other stories.

EmmaR 01-29-2015 03:35 AM

hey if anyone knows like a lot about fmla abuse on the behalf of employers and maternity leave in america hmu

Arthurboulos 01-29-2015 09:25 PM

ugh i have a great idea but i CANT EFFING WRITE IT

Ember 01-29-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurboulos (Post 565363)
ugh i have a great idea but i CANT EFFING WRITE IT

haha you seriously just described my writing career in one sentence.

Ember 01-30-2015 02:14 PM

I'm Writing Characters Making Pancakes And Why Am I Doing This How Do You Write Pancake Making In A Classy Way

Aynonomus_Angel 01-30-2015 10:32 PM

I have characters, book titles, settings, and romances in the book but no plot. Help?

(not related to Grayscale)

SilverMoon 01-31-2015 05:17 PM

Natural Forces TTT Stats

(from data of chapters 1-4)

Avg of 9 pgs per chapter
Avg of 2463.5 wds per chapter

so

20 ch est: 49,270 w, 180 pg
25 ch est: 61,587.5 w, 225 pg
30 ch est: 73,905 w, 270 pg

so based on the chapter range of how long it will be in the end, The Twilight Talisman could be 49.3 to 73.9 k words and 180-270 pages. This makes me excited. I should go plan more.

SilverMoon 01-31-2015 05:19 PM

also i'll be posting like 3 poems tomorrow and ttt chapter 3 on Monday or at least sometime in the week

EmmaR 02-09-2015 01:51 AM

Read my thing, it was due on Thursday but I got an extension until tonight and didn't start it until yesterday afternoon.
http://www.kidpub.com/story/not-tonight-671153317

Dr.Awesome 02-12-2015 11:33 PM

Martin's being stupid and stupid isn't being Martina and Idek.

SilverMoon 02-14-2015 05:58 PM

I think that chapter 5 of TTT will end just before Sanna undergoes the power-unlocking process

SilverMoon 02-14-2015 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverMoon (Post 565456)
also i'll be posting like 3 poems tomorrow and ttt chapter 3 on Monday or at least sometime in the week

I wILL post a bunch of crap this weekend ok

SilverMoon 02-14-2015 06:20 PM

also I've been thinking about natural forces subplots and character arcs and such & it's fun
I know that the twilight will probably get their own subplot and chapters from their povs and such because I really like my antagonists
and my protags

also I've been thinking about my manga idea too

venika 02-20-2015 11:03 AM

ok i need help? :D
do you guys think like a kind of choppy writing style with the protagonist thinking on the page is ok?

this is an excerpt:
Her eyes flew open. That… would that implicate Jay? Did Jay turn into a werewolf too? But even as she frantically searched the page-long account, she knew she was the only one affected. Jay… Jay hadn’t taken a blue pill, had he? She flicked back to the afternoon of the day before. She could see it clearly now: his fingers steady as he held a light purple tablet, the bag full of a rainbow of hues: she’d noticed red, orange, green, pink and a mottled grey, to name a few, but of course she was unlucky enough to choose the one color that’d turn her into a werewolf—

“Would Jay really inform the authorities?” she whispered, her entire body trembling now
For the first time since she’d woken up, she felt thoroughly defeated, all of the explosive energy and vitality from the full moon drained from her veins.

But she couldn’t count on Jay, Jay who was high all the time and didn’t remember half the things he said—Jay… Jay wouldn’t be an ally in this game.

Which meant…

She abruptly stood, ignoring the sharp looks cast her way by the surrounding people who had previously been pretending not to be heckling her. My family is in danger. Or they would be, if Jay had told on me. They could be under questioning right now—they could be walking to their deaths right now— She nearly took off in a run, but something stopped her, and for once she was mindful of the slow, steady voice in the back of her head.

soooo? it's really choppy and i overuse em dashes so idk? advice, comments, anything?

AlgebraAddict 02-20-2015 08:38 PM

http://www.kidpub.com/story/hey-guys...ook-1857153469

GUYS GUYS GUYS

oh also goddammit hamlet you're a brat

AlgebraAddict 02-27-2015 07:11 PM

i AM A TERRIBLE AUTHOR OH MY GOD WHY CAN I NOT FOCUS AND JUST WRITE

*bawls*

at this point i frigging hate my book

but i will still advertise it shamelessly

http://www.doubtthoubook.weebly.com

saphiremoon 02-28-2015 04:12 PM

so I have to write a short story for English class (in two days yay *dies*) and it has to be a ghost story and I just finished plotting it and I'm sorta crying now bc it's so effing depressing
I mean the protagonist(s) die in almost all my stories but this
this is different
I am truly fucked up
(*cries*)
((it also doesn't help that 'let her go' by passenger just came on which I guess could kinda be the main secondary character's theme and yeah I'm just going to stop now because I think I'll sob))

AlgebraAddict 02-28-2015 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphiremoon (Post 566522)
so I have to write a short story for English class (in two days yay *dies*) and it has to be a ghost story and I just finished plotting it and I'm sorta crying now bc it's so effing depressing
I mean the protagonist(s) die in almost all my stories but this
this is different
I am truly fucked up
(*cries*)
((it also doesn't help that 'let her go' by passenger just came on which I guess could kinda be the main secondary character's theme and yeah I'm just going to stop now because I think I'll sob))

tell me about it i went thru the 5 stages of grief when i killed my character

saphiremoon 03-01-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict (Post 566532)
tell me about it i went thru the 5 stages of grief when i killed my character

ahh same ;-; i usually just get stuck at denial or depression though

saphiremoon 03-01-2015 12:25 PM

so I'm also pretty pumped about this story because it's the first thing I've written in months that I actually tried for (all my recent things have just been for practice) and I was worrying that I'd lost my writing skill because of my hiatus but my dad says it's the best thing I've ever written and he's read literally almost all my work so ??? <33333 ahhhh pretty damn excited actually

((and like idk I didn't have to force any of the writing? I mean I wasn't so inspired that I was vomiting sparkles or anything but I have a deadline and it's not coming out crappily so))

AlgebraAddict 03-01-2015 07:22 PM

why does my therapist think writing helps depression

like honestly

my writing makes me pretty fucking sad

AlgebraAddict 03-01-2015 07:25 PM

also hamlet is a bitch

saphiremoon 03-08-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict (Post 566550)
why does my therapist think writing helps depression

like honestly

my writing makes me pretty fucking sad

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict (Post 566551)
also hamlet is a bitch

(*cue hozier*)

aaaaaaamen

saphiremoon 03-08-2015 05:06 PM

I'm still on that short story and the one character is painfully cute
like I will marry him cute
<33

saphiremoon 03-08-2015 07:28 PM

oMFG

I AM SUCH A TERRIBLE PERSON

WHYYY

Frostblaze 03-08-2015 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphiremoon (Post 566938)
oMFG

I AM SUCH A TERRIBLE PERSON

WHYYY

whAT DID YOU DO NIKKI

EmmaR 03-09-2015 12:41 AM

tHIS GOD DAMN ESSAY IS DONE HALLELUJAH