The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Story Ideas (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   On the Matter of Flawed Characters (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=4452)

Frostblaze 09-05-2015 10:20 PM

A Character's Flaws

The most important piece of your character is the flaw. What keeps them from becoming a Gary-stu/Mary-sue? What makes them relatable? What gives them inner conflict?

So, one might come here to look up a flaw to give their own character, or to post one. All you have to do is say the character's name, a brief personality description, and their flaw(s). If you want to take it a step further, say where their flaw derives from.

I shall start:

Chris, pensive, awkward, nervous, passionate
He has a weak heart, and he's quite gullible. He can become too emotional at times.
He's always been very compassionate and emphatic, and he knows very little of the world, which would cause him to believe almost everything he hears or reads or sees. He's an emotional wreck at times, but we can blame that on the bouts of trauma he's experienced at such a young age.

Gracithe1andonly 10-05-2015 10:55 PM

okay so I just realized that a lot of my characters have a central virtue they're built up around like perseverance or compassion.

But they still need flaws, as this isn't an allegory.

Arthur: He can be bullheaded and stubborn at times, and is often a bit too altruistic for anyone's good.

Win: She's compassionate, but very, very nosy. In fact, her nosiness creates half the plot ><

Hal: He's happy. Overly happy, and he's not exactly sure how to deal with his other emotions.

Ben: He's not smart, but is an absolute teddy bear.

Tom: He's got a sharp wit and a good brain, but has a bad tendency to talk himself into a corner.

Mr. Quarterman: His anger has been dormant for so long. Now that it has a direction, he's almost losing control; and he isn't even aware of it until he puts Tom in harm's way.

Natalia: She knows more than anyone gives her credit for, but she has no idea how to deal with people.

Halle: She often is inactive when she should be doing something.

Aida: In a crisis situation, she tends to panic and do something very foolish. Even though she's an old woman with white hair.

Bucephalus: He's also very annoying, but is chivalrous, and can often compensate for Aida in a crisis.

Gratia: Hm... hard one. I think she just tends to get a little carried away sometimes, and the fact that she's uber-Godly rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Elias: He puts up a strong front, but he doesn't know about himself, and he's barely sure of anything within.

I think that's all

SilverMoon 12-29-2016 05:10 PM

ppl be like "don't forget to make your characters have flaws!!" and im like.... my character concepts always emerge from a pile of character flaws.

otaku 12-30-2016 02:55 AM

Percival: short tempered, kinda arrogant, can be overbearing
Kinda comes from being the youngest sibling and all, as well as of noble birth, but it's also part of the way he acts from his character
Somnus: afraid to get attatched, kind of a hypocrite

Zelda 12-30-2016 12:54 PM

@SilverMoon accurate :P

Zyair- Easily distracted (probably ADD), plus he's developing a tendency to play the blame game on himself too much.
Mercer- Never freaking sleeps, undervalues himself.
Isaiah- Has trust issues, she has formed a foundation for her life on the trust of a select few people, which is stable currently, but in the long run would leave her vulnerable and shaky if one or more of said people left or were removed from the foundation.
Acid- Poor anger management, isolates himself, extremely self-conscious
Raleigh- Is super competitive, and tries too hard to be seen as an adult.

july3girl 12-30-2016 01:38 PM

*like half of my characters are like semi-racist/sexist/xenaphobic but they're going to figure it out, ok?!?! also, despite that they're all badasses and i love them*

SilverMoon 02-17-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverMoon (Post 593180)
ppl be like "don't forget to make your characters have flaws!!" and im like.... my character concepts always emerge from a pile of character flaws.

oh boy.... where do i even begin

SilverMoon 02-17-2017 09:23 PM

Alexander: loves too much, massive guilt complex, feels responsible for everything, sometimes has conflicting interests because he loves everyone too much, emotional wreck, lowkey has a gigantic dark side, doesn't have an accurate view of himself at all, sometimes wants to die and then feels guilty about wanting to die, lowkey hates himself and thinks he doesn't deserve to be alive,,,,,,,,,,,,, all wrapped up in the package of a perpetually-cheerful Mom Friend TM

strawberry 02-17-2017 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverMoon (Post 594320)
Alexander: loves too much, massive guilt complex, feels responsible for everything, sometimes has conflicting interests because he loves everyone too much, emotional wreck, lowkey has a gigantic dark side, doesn't have an accurate view of himself at all, sometimes wants to die and then feels guilty about wanting to die, lowkey hates himself and thinks he doesn't deserve to be alive,,,,,,,,,,,,, all wrapped up in the package of a perpetually-cheerful Mom Friend TM

whOa i just realized how many characteristics alexander and i share...guilt complex high five bby
Rio is honestly a morally screwed person and is horrible tbH, he'll use and manipulate anyone for his gain and has little to no empathy for others and is..so flaky with people. he's the worst

Zelda 02-17-2017 11:32 PM

I've found a common flaw with a lot of my characters:

Hannah: Dead
Chastin: Dead
Koda: Dead
Jeanelle: Dead-ish
Darcy: Dead
Abu and Salome: Hella dead
Serilla: Even more dead
More charries (but sh, spoilers): dead

Death seems to be my favourite flaw to dole out.

SilverMoon 02-18-2017 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry (Post 594321)
whOa i just realized how many characteristics alexander and i share...guilt complex high five bby
Rio is honestly a morally screwed person and is horrible tbH, he'll use and manipulate anyone for his gain and has little to no empathy for others and is..so flaky with people. he's the worst

nicee. I didn't realize how big of a guilt complex Alexander has until I started writing pbpfp lol :3
rise, Dark Rio. but even if it's for selfish reasons, he does care about some people, right?

SilverMoon 02-18-2017 12:43 AM

the //sings dat bastille song tag, i <3 u

SilverMoon 02-18-2017 12:25 PM

Arisa: literally so fucking melodramatic, never really does anything but still buts in to get involved in all the happenings of xyr various acquaintances, self-isolating as hell, rlly annoying, smart but doesn't do anything with it, has no inherent character traits and just emulates the ppl around xem oops, no sense of identity, what is a personality, literally hates geniuses so much it's a wonder xie hasn't committed murder yet (probably bc all of xyr longtime acquaintances are geniuses/prodigies and xie finds them too interesting to let go of), highkey bitter, pisses off ppl xie shouldnt piss off but doesn't give a fuck, takes everything too seriously yet doesn't take anything seriously at all, basically believes xie's useless, has a strange taste in acquaintances and a stranger way of becoming acquainted with them, xyr whole life is butting in on shit that's not xyr business bc xie doesn't have any business of xyr own, latches on to certain ppl, there's probably more lmao

SilverMoon 02-18-2017 12:33 PM

Harigae: SELF-ISOLATING AS ALL HELL, afraid of change, utterly dependent on her powers and current state, literally is 16 but lives in an apartment by herself and takes online school and doesn't interact with anyone her own age, has no idea what normal human life is like, has no friends, usually too passive and only moved to act by fear, such a brat, addresses everyone overly familiarly, respects like 2 ppl, neither of which are her parents, lowkey only attached to her little brother, probably empathy-deficient, has no reason for existing, doesn't feel alive, literally has no idea what a friend is, pretentious probably, has 0 hopes, dreams, or goals

SilverMoon 02-18-2017 12:35 PM

come to think of it... do my characters have any good traits

SilverMoon 07-06-2017 05:38 PM

This is my fave thread for brainstorming and character development TBH.

SilverMoon 03-18-2018 10:54 PM

yooooo I should use again

SilverMoon 01-01-2019 09:05 PM

If u don’t think I’m gonna come in and do this for every character in my master list, ur wrong

SilverMoon 01-01-2019 11:15 PM

Sin Game alone gonna take awhile bc. Any character with development (read: the main 5) is extremely flawed

Chase: Too apathetic, uses apathy as a defense mechanism, deep suppressed hatred of society and conformity, almost completely amoral in the traditional sense with his only axes being how interesting and different something is, never expresses emotions properly so there’s so much bubbling under the surface (he didn’t have anyone to listen to him), super desperate to make life different to the point that he’ll go to extremes— before the plot, has no purpose or motivation, honestly incapable of trusting adults, not good at functioning in school because he hates/fears routine to irrational levels, EVERYTHING IS SUPPRESSED BEHIND APATHY AND HAVING PRACTICALLY GIVEN UP ON LIFE HAVING A PURPOSE OR EVEN BEING INTERESTING, UNTIL PLOT HAPPENS

December: incapable of expressing herself, extremely repressed, bad at communicating with others, also incapable of trusting adults even more than Chase, not in touch with her own needs or wants at all, cares about people but can’t demonstrate affection, unintentionally cold to others, will give up too easily (esp on people) because she distances herself from anything she deems a threat— afraid of pain (honestly, better than most of the others because she and Liam actually have some kindness and morals)

Maude: lacks self control, often impulsive, deceptive, manipulative, rude, compulsive liar, doesn’t care about anyone’s feelings, chaotic to extremes, can be hypocritical, oversimplified view of life— almost childish, refuses to believe she’s ever wrong, extremely afraid of losing, can’t express anger in a healthy manner, probably unhealthy coping mechanisms, honesty is weakness, rude to others for no reason, literally never listens to anyone even if she should, lies to herself as much as she lies to others, focuses too much on how others will perceive her

Cystenian: god where do I begin. Extremely vindictive, unforgiving, fickle and has unrealistic expectations, pathologically egocentric, self absorbed, overly emotional, a deceptive and fake person, feels the need to not be hated by anyone but hates everyone himself, entitlement, an even bigger liar and hypocrite than Maude, moral sociopathy and lack of empathy, hates happy people, somehow is both a gigantic narcissist and also hates himself, has to be perfect, at least to some degree aware of his hypocrisy but does nothing to change it, is obsessed with the perfect image of himself, hates sharing his things, extremely possessive and jealous, honestly? A really petty and toxic and immoral person. Chaotic evil. Doesn’t know any better, extremely childish in terms of emotional maturity. Hyper fixated on certain people, obsessive

Still working on Liam.