The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Randomize (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Odyssey of the Mind, anyone? (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=2360)

LizzieS 03-15-2012 09:53 PM

Odyssey of the Mind, anyone?

I've heard a few KidPubbers besides me do it. Are you one of them? :D So this is pretty much a thread to discuss OM, like what problem you're doing, when Regionals is for you, and your experiance. ^_^

*desperately hopes another OMer will post on this thread in the near future* xD

camikat 03-15-2012 10:01 PM

I don't, but my cousin one second place in the regionals. She's going to the state competition. :3

I REALLY wish my school would do it. It sounds epyk. D:

TheMoonWakedWolf 03-15-2012 10:02 PM

I have no idea what it is. Explain, please? :3

LizzieS 03-15-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camikat (Post 260435)
I don't, but my cousin one second place in the regionals. She's going to the state competition. :3

I REALLY wish my school would do it. It sounds epyk. D:

It IS epic! 8D Your cousin went to Regionals already? I'm going on Saturday. *is all excited and stuffs*

camikat 03-15-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoonWakedWolf (Post 260436)

http://www.odysseyofthemind.com/learn_more.php

LizzieS 03-15-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoonWakedWolf (Post 260436)

Yay. Explaining time. 8D

So, Odyssey of the Mind (OM) is a program for 3-12 grade. If you're in it, you're put n a 5-7 kid team, and right at the beginning of the year your team picks a "problem" - a big set of requirements, pretty much. The main goal of OM is to make an 8-minute (max) skit, that includes all the requirements in the problem your team chose. Even better - you have to write the script, make the costumes, make the backdrop, make the props all by yourselves with no help from your coach(es) and no outside assistance. :D AND YOU GET EXTRA POINTS IF YOU MAKE STUFF OUTTA TRASH. 8DDDDDD

So anyway, it's so much fun, and the competitions are really intense. I love it. :D *hugs homemade OMer stuffed animal*

*coughs* Um, yeah. People who do OM are called OMers (not "oh-em-ers", "ohm-ers") but the mascot is named OMer, too. He's a raccoon. ^_^

TheMoonWakedWolf 03-15-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzieS (Post 260453)
Yay. Explaining time. 8D

So, Odyssey of the Mind (OM) is a program for 3-12 grade. If you're in it, you're put n a 5-7 kid team, and right at the beginning of the year your team picks a "problem" - a big set of requirements, pretty much. The main goal of OM is to make an 8-minute (max) skit, that includes all the requirements in the problem your team chose. Even better - you have to write the script, make the costumes, make the backdrop, make the props all by yourselves with no help from your coach(es) and no outside assistance. :D AND YOU GET EXTRA POINTS IF YOU MAKE STUFF OUTTA TRASH. 8DDDDDD

So anyway, it's so much fun, and the competitions are really intense. I love it. :D *hugs homemade OMer stuffed animal*

*coughs* Um, yeah. People who do OM are called OMers (not "oh-em-ers", "ohm-ers") but the mascot is named OMer, too. He's a raccoon. ^_^

O-O

*now desperately wants OM*

TheMoonWakedWolf 03-15-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camikat (Post 260450)

That...raccoon's kinda creepy. XD

LizzieS 03-15-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoonWakedWolf (Post 260456)
O-O

*now desperately wants OM*

And I haven't even told you about spontaneous and pin-trading and Worlds and the awards ceremony... 8'D

But seriously, go on YouTube and search "Odyssey of the Mind 2011 World Finals". These are the best skits. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoonWakedWolf (Post 260458)
That...raccoon's kinda creepy. XD

That's OMer! 8DD

BlueMi 03-17-2012 08:55 PM

I'm considering suggesting to my drama teacher that we try OM... although we're a private school... I dunno. 8D *is still satisfied with epik improv classes and showcases*