The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Contests (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Writing Programs/Contests (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=4607)

Jesse 09-08-2016 07:56 AM

Writing Programs/Contests

I figured I should make an area to compile writing contests, programs etc
(Partly because I need extracurriculars to do)

What I'm thinking of entering:
YoungArts - a contest where the finalists go to Orlando for a week and learn in their craft; the writing section is the most popular I believe, but there are lots of other disciplines like music and photography and art. There are usually 150 or so finalists out of about 12,000, so the odds are not in your favor but if some of us did win it would basically be a KP Reunion
Scholastic Arts and Writing Awards: Art/Writing contest that's pretty competitive, I got a silver key two years ago, which isn't that great but I was proud of it :p
YEA - a writing group in Maine where four teens publish, design and promote their own novels--it's probably not relevant if you don't live in/near Maine but I thought I should list it

So yeah list anything that could be useful to our competitive writers :D

Confuzzled 09-17-2016 03:10 PM

Thank you so much for this thread! I have been thinking about entering some contests here and there lately! I don't know of many so any suggestions would be great. :)

Zelda 09-17-2016 04:09 PM

NaNoWriMo is just around the corner.
is that actually a contest though?

SilverMoon 09-17-2016 04:13 PM

ooh cool. i'll keep an eye on this thread

july3girl 09-17-2016 05:30 PM

yay thank you for the list. a friend of an old family friend was talking to me about the scholastic contest, which i looked up and honestly, seems so intimidating... she's a teacher and she said that she went to the awards twice for two of her students so idk. but anyway thankssss

Jesse 09-17-2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by july3girl (Post 589822)
yay thank you for the list. a friend of an old family friend was talking to me about the scholastic contest, which i looked up and honestly, seems so intimidating... she's a teacher and she said that she went to the awards twice for two of her students so idk. but anyway thankssss

It's not that intimidating :p Around half of all the people who enter get some sort of recognition, whether it be an honorable mention or a gold key or whatever. I got a silver key in eighth grade, and you get to go to a ceremony in your region and accept a medallion and a certificate thing...and then there are some talks from published authors and some of the winners read their work. It's fun. You should enter.

july3girl 09-17-2016 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 589823)
It's not that intimidating :p Around half of all the people who enter get some sort of recognition, whether it be an honorable mention or a gold key or whatever. I got a silver key in eighth grade, and you get to go to a ceremony in your region and accept a medallion and a certificate thing...and then there are some talks from published authors and some of the winners read their work. It's fun. You should enter.

ohhh ok. well perhaps i shall.