The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Free advice (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Your emotional venting thread. I'll explain. (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=2095)

Lily09 06-11-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubloon (Post 541295)
Kind of like how there's no term for non-virgins. You're right, the lack of labels shows something about a culture.

im a lil confused but okay? care to explain?
idk i just think cisgender is like the term straight or white or rich or able bodied yknow. we just need it. how else would we identify cisgender ppl.

Dubloon 06-11-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily09 (Post 541296)
im a lil confused but okay? care to explain?
idk i just think cisgender is like the term straight or white or rich or able bodied yknow. we just need it. how else would we identify cisgender ppl.

I was agreeing with you.

Throughout the bible, virginity is a symbol of purity and youth, with the most obvious example being Mary, the virginal mother. Since the bible (particularly King James') helped shape the English language, it is partially responsible for the lack of a non-virgin term. This suggests a lot about our culture.

Lily09 06-11-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubloon (Post 541311)
I was agreeing with you.

Throughout the bible, virginity is a symbol of purity and youth, with the most obvious example being Mary, the virginal mother. Since the bible (particularly King James') helped shape the English language, it is partially responsible for the lack of a non-virgin term. This suggests a lot about our culture.

oh ok i c!! thanks for the explanation or if i sounded a lil stupid idk i just didnt get it at first.

pluzzle 06-12-2014 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BookKitty (Post 541284)
ok. i thought it was, because some people include it in the acronym. they must be wrong then. but i feel like there doesn't need to be a name for it, that was just my opinion, OK? and i never said queer people weren't normal. i'm queer, and i'm not normal. what i meant was heteronormativity and "cisnormativity" or whatever you called it. sorry if i offended you, but you didn't need to get so defensive, all right? i'm on your team. i am a non-binary gender too, though i do not know what it is yet.

and.. labels are helpful. not important. labels do not define who you are as a person. they can, however, help you to meet other people, come to terms with yourself, and much more. but they aren't necessary. i struggle with this myself because i want to know who i am, i want to have a label so that i can identify with other people like me. but i need to realize, and i think so do you and many other people, that they aren't something that you should worry about all the time. you are so much more. :)

i reckon labels are really important, TO ME NOT SPEAKING FOR ANYONE ELSE!!, because a lot of people don't really know and feel at a loss - but having a label makes them feel more at ease and fitting in.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily09 (Post 541286)
i kind of think we do need to have the term cisgender, because if there wasn't it would seem like being transgender is abnormal. like if there wasn't the term cisgender, what would you call those people? 'normal'? i feel like calling cis ppl normal is harmful to trans ppl. i know that's your opinion though so ok. and yeah heteronormativity and cisnormativity can be harmful to the queer community. sorry if i sounded angry or something, i just get passionate abt this topic a lot.

labels are helpful, but they can also be important. they're certainly not important to everyone but they can be to some. and right, my label isn't something that i should have to worry about all the time, but it is something i identify with strongly and am proud of.

there is no normal, imo, everyone's different

BookKitty 06-12-2014 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily09 (Post 541286)
i kind of think we do need to have the term cisgender, because if there wasn't it would seem like being transgender is abnormal. like if there wasn't the term cisgender, what would you call those people? 'normal'? i feel like calling cis ppl normal is harmful to trans ppl. i know that's your opinion though so ok. and yeah heteronormativity and cisnormativity can be harmful to the queer community. sorry if i sounded angry or something, i just get passionate abt this topic a lot.

labels are helpful, but they can also be important. they're certainly not important to everyone but they can be to some. and right, my label isn't something that i should have to worry about all the time, but it is something i identify with strongly and am proud of.

ok, that's fine. i respect your opinion. just let me have mine. and... i don't have a label, and that's something i worry about. it's mostly just me, i guess though. :)

Lily09 06-12-2014 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluzzle (Post 541383)
i reckon labels are really important, TO ME NOT SPEAKING FOR ANYONE ELSE!!, because a lot of people don't really know and feel at a loss - but having a label makes them feel more at ease and fitting in.

i agree that everyone is different. i'm saying that too, but if we get rid of the word 'cisgender' and called them 'normal', it would further stigmatize transgender people and allow more people to discriminate against transgender people for being 'weird' or 'abnormal' etc. and if we just called cis boys/cis girls boys/girl without cis before it, it would be exclusive to trans people. this is why i think we need the word cisgender. idk if i'm repeating myself or not but yeah feel free to disagree with me if youre trans or nonbinary.

Lily09 06-12-2014 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BookKitty (Post 541386)
ok, that's fine. i respect your opinion. just let me have mine. and... i don't have a label, and that's something i worry about. it's mostly just me, i guess though. :)

okay sure (sorry about the reply to clay above, i didnt see your comment when i posted it)
and its cool if you don't have a label, you don't need to have one if you don't feel like having one (:

BookKitty 06-12-2014 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluzzle (Post 541383)

labels are important i guess. i just feel differently about them, because i don't have one and i guess i feel "left out" and so i try unsuccessfully to convince myself that they aren't important. silly, right?

oh and by the way i appreciate [here comes sarcasm] that nobody chose to read the rest of my little angry/sad rant and instead chose this one thing to debate over. :rolleyes: thanks lol

pluzzle 06-12-2014 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily09 (Post 541387)
i agree that everyone is different. i'm saying that too, but if we get rid of the word 'cisgender' and called them 'normal', it would further stigmatize transgender people and allow more people to discriminate against transgender people for being 'weird' or 'abnormal' etc. and if we just called cis boys/cis girls boys/girl without cis before it, it would be exclusive to trans people. this is why i think we need the word cisgender. idk if i'm repeating myself or not but yeah feel free to disagree with me if youre trans or nonbinary.

yeah i agree with this
Quote:

Originally Posted by BookKitty (Post 541386)

yeah i'm/we're not saying you need a label, it just helps some people, you don't absolutely need one!!

BookKitty 06-12-2014 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily09 (Post 541388)
okay sure (sorry about the reply to clay above, i didnt see your comment when i posted it)
and its cool if you don't have a label, you don't need to have one if you don't feel like having one (:

i want to have one. i don't, and that makes me feel bad lol. i try to convince myself that they are not important i guess...