The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   School (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Colleges (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=4167)

Arin 07-27-2014 11:04 PM

tbh i'm anxious and scared of the idea of going off to college. i mean i'm going into 8th grade so you could say i have a lot of time to think about it but i'm already really subconscious. i have this giant flipping sat textbook and i've taken psat twice. it's just so stressful and i feel like just breaking down but i want to go to a good school ;_;

meerkat 07-27-2014 11:19 PM

I'm going into freshman year at highschool and I'm already scared.
I'm bad at math. Like, stinkingly bad. I've never gotten more than a B, and my parents expect me to be some sort of engineer or programmer.
I have no clue what I'm good at and everyone else has their life planned out to the year but I'm just like "I wanna be unicorn when I grow up!"
OH GOSH I'M SO SCARED

Athenabrain1 07-28-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 550754)
I'm going into freshman year at highschool and I'm already scared.
I'm bad at math. Like, stinkingly bad. I've never gotten more than a B, and my parents expect me to be some sort of engineer or programmer.
I have no clue what I'm good at and everyone else has their life planned out to the year but I'm just like "I wanna be unicorn when I grow up!"
OH GOSH I'M SO SCARED

I'm really scared too.
What if I have to go to a sucky college?
What if I fail math? (I suck at it)
What if?

cloudwriter 07-28-2014 07:23 PM

Hey. Everyone who's going to be a freshman next year. Seriously, don't worry.
I'm going to be a sophomore this year. Last year, I was absolutely terrified (but also excited) to start my freshman year. But really, freshman year is a blast. Enjoy high school while you can. And don't worry about math-- whether you're doing Algebra 1 or Geometry, neither are very hard. I took Geometry last year since I'm in the advanced program, and I actually enjoyed most of Geometry. I personally find it pretty easy. It's mostly stuff like if you have this right triangle and one angle is 2x and another angle is 90 and find the measure of the third angle which is x (2x+x+90=180; 3x= 90; x= 30) Then you can check that by just plugging x into the angles and making sure it adds up to 180.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Freshman year is amazing. Enjoy it, because high school goes by faster than you think.

cloudwriter 07-28-2014 07:25 PM

Also about life I really don't know what I want to do anymore
I kinda want to do something with writing still, like a book editor or a newspaper editor (preferably book but hey I'll take what I can get)
But I'm also starting to like science
like what is this

saphiremoon 07-28-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloudwriter (Post 550833)
I'm going to be a sophomore this year. Last year, I was absolutely terrified (but also excited) to start my freshman year. But really, freshman year is a blast. Enjoy high school while you can. And don't worry about math-- whether you're doing Algebra 1 or Geometry, neither are very hard. I took Geometry last year since I'm in the advanced program, and I actually enjoyed most of Geometry. I personally find it pretty easy. It's mostly stuff like if you have this right triangle and one angle is 2x and another angle is 90 and find the measure of the third angle which is x (2x+x+90=180; 3x= 90; x= 30) Then you can check that by just plugging x into the angles and making sure it adds up to 180.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Freshman year is amazing. Enjoy it, because high school goes by faster than you think.

What's the social life like in freshman? I'm starting high school next year, and I'm not that nervous about the classes (I'm really excited that they'll be more interesting, and I'm in Academic in all of them– I think that's the Canadian equivalent of advanced programs...?), but my social life has always been... well, nonexistent. Any advice?

L.S.Trendom 07-29-2014 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloudwriter (Post 550834)
Also about life I really don't know what I want to do anymore
I kinda want to do something with writing still, like a book editor or a newspaper editor (preferably book but hey I'll take what I can get)
But I'm also starting to like science
like what is this

SCIENCE
u should look up quantum entanglement
Quote:

Originally Posted by saphiremoon (Post 550836)
What's the social life like in freshman? I'm starting high school next year, and I'm not that nervous about the classes (I'm really excited that they'll be more interesting, and I'm in Academic in all of them– I think that's the Canadian equivalent of advanced programs...?), but my social life has always been... well, nonexistent. Any advice?

ahhh my advice… just like push yourself. Make yourself talk to people you think seem cool. Try to hang out after school a bit, maybe ask them if they wanna hang out sometime.

meerkat 07-29-2014 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloudwriter (Post 550833)

My parents are making me take precalc. Not so easy anymore, is it?! D:
For us, Algebra 1 in eighth grade is the normal program (so that's Geometry in freshman year), and Geometry in eighth grade is advanced (I did this). So technically I should be taking Algebra 2 next year, but with Indian overachiever parents like mine, I HAVE to take an honors class in my friggin' freshman year.

CosmoCat 07-29-2014 12:25 PM

i feel so old...i guess i'll eventually end up revealing a lot about myself over the internet, but not yet

cloudwriter 07-30-2014 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphiremoon (Post 550836)

I'm actually the same way. Cliches are huge in high school. Get involved in any way you can. For example, the band kids usually become really good friends, same with color guard, choir, drama, etc. It's hard at first, but just be nice/yourself and try and branch out and talk to new people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.S.Trendom (Post 550868)
SCIENCE
u should look up quantum entanglement

ahhh my advice… just like push yourself. Make yourself talk to people you think seem cool. Try to hang out after school a bit, maybe ask them if they wanna hang out sometime.

ooh that sounds fab

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 550870)
My parents are making me take precalc. Not so easy anymore, is it?! D:
For us, Algebra 1 in eighth grade is the normal program (so that's Geometry in freshman year), and Geometry in eighth grade is advanced (I did this). So technically I should be taking Algebra 2 next year, but with Indian overachiever parents like mine, I HAVE to take an honors class in my friggin' freshman year.

Oh wow. Yeah I'm taking Algebra 2 so I don't really know how Pre-Calc is. But I'm sure you'll be fine. :3 They must think you can do it since they're pushing you to take it, so just have faith and do the best you can do ^_^ and good luck :D