The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Free advice (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   GSRM Community (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=3738)

EmmaR 01-26-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy (Post 517032)
and like the next time relatives tell me to "look for a guy like my dad" (??????????????????????? wat??????? they keep telling me this??? do they want me to marry my dad???????? what does this mean???) i'm pretty sure i'm just gonna be like "but consider this: no"

electra complex

rebecca 01-27-2014 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily09 (Post 517026)
you should make sure to talk to people who are actually trans to get opinions too, so that the character can react in a way that isn't internally transphobic, or at least so that the transphobia is addressed.
for example, a lot of people will tell trans* people, "if i just met you, i would actually think you are a *gender they identify as*" or "you actually look like *gender they identify as*". this is really problematic as it invalidates the trans* person's gender and implies "you arent actually that gender."
a good rule is that if you wouldn't say something to a cis person, don't say it to a trans* person.
so make sure that your character is getting good representation and make sure that he addresses his parents transphobia.

He will, eventually, but he does sort of have bigger problems. Like stopping other people using his work to start a war.

There is a funny story as to how I decided he was trans, but I'm not entirely sure it is appropriate for KidPub.

Lily09 01-27-2014 02:38 AM

omG WAR BC OF PPL AT WORK WHAT IS THIS I WANT TO READ
Send me a message on fb or something I'm now curious.

LaurenM 01-27-2014 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily09 (Post 517004)
That's my problem though? The characters when genderbent, are also the opposite sex. That feeds into the idea that sex=gender. And also that gender=gender expression.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoonWakedWolf (Post 517008)
So I'm a bit behind on this, but is it that gender is how someone identifies and sex is their genitalia? I've always been kind of confused on that.
Well, genderbending something is giving them the biological makeup of the opposite sex, not gender, so I don't really think the genderbending itself is bad, just the name of it. Rule 63 would be a better common name for it. Wouldn't be quite as confusing when it comes to anyone noncisgender.

Oh yeah I never really thought about the name. I personally think the thing itself is ok but yeah it should be renamed to sex bent or somethin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily09 (Post 517027)
my dad just said that santana and brittany on glee were gross for being lesbians and then proceeded to ask me what i was after i defended brittana and then i just said i dont know im 14 jdjjd

Yes you know don't be scared to stand up to your dad
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy (Post 517029)
a few people know that i'm rewriting vladimir's mansion and completely changing it
i have four or five trans* characters and a trans* female gets married to a main character and like you have no idea how excited i am to write this like i'm literally just
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...90/146/41a.gif
i'm so excited and happy i love my characters so damn much
frick

also representation pls
i really think there should be less heteronormativity in children's media like for real

oh and i still have an intense thirst for LGTBQA+ canon disney/pixar movies like yall dont understand

OH YES
and about the Disney thing apparently they wanted to make one according to tumblr but other people are protesting against it ciengkshgslkv

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluzzle (Post 517030)
gjhghjfghfjhfgjh that sucks D:

im kinda happy because i remembered that once i was talking about dan [howell] and my mum wasn't really listening to me but she said 'so you obviously don't like girls then' and i was like 'well i still can, but why would that be bad' and she's like 'well it wouldn't it doesn't matter'

idk whether that's good or sHE SUSPECTS IT HJFDHHFKJDHKJHFDKJDHHDFKDF

I guess it's good but it can be really awkward
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebecca (Post 517132)
He will, eventually, but he does sort of have bigger problems. Like stopping other people using his work to start a war.

There is a funny story as to how I decided he was trans, but I'm not entirely sure it is appropriate for KidPub.

pluzzle 01-27-2014 01:49 PM

Disney were going to have a lesbian couple in one episode of a show, but people protested

HeatherB 01-27-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebecca (Post 517132)

please literally everything is appropriate for WB if not KP at this point look at all the threads
Quote:

Originally Posted by pluzzle (Post 517153)
Disney were going to have a lesbian couple in one episode of a show, but people protested

there was a thing on good luck charlie tho that's pretty damn cool circulating tumblr rn

blossom 01-27-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluzzle (Post 517153)

If you've seen Frozen, a fun fact:

The man in the shop ("whoo-ooh! Big summer blowout!") was the first openly gay character in a Disney movie, but hardly anyone noticed. The rest of his family is shown in a sauna--his husband and their kids are shown in there.

Lily09 01-27-2014 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blossom (Post 517212)

The man in the shop ("whoo-ooh! Big summer blowout!") was the first openly gay character in a Disney movie, but hardly anyone noticed. The rest of his family is shown in a sauna--his husband and their kids are shown in there.

I SAW THAT ON TUMBLR OHMYGOD I KNOW IT SEEMS PRETTY SMALL BUT ITS STILL PROGRESS YAYy

LaurenM 01-28-2014 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blossom (Post 517212)

IT'S HIS HUSBAND?!
i

rebecca 01-28-2014 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherB (Post 517206)
please literally everything is appropriate for WB if not KP at this point look at all the threads

there was a thing on good luck charlie tho that's pretty damn cool circulating tumblr rn

I do this thing where I pretend to be my characters so I was being this scientist dude who is brilliant and very poetic, when I had to go in the bath. I'd got so into character when I looked at myself I was like 'I don't have a penis'...'he doesn't have a penis' 'OH MY GOD HE'S TRANSGENDER' and I had a massive epiphany. Entirely based upon my genitals.