The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Story Ideas (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The Rant About What you're Writing Thread. (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=4267)

strawberry 08-03-2015 07:55 PM

i literally wrote a random snippet of this one character being tortured for my own pleasure. it doesnt even fit into the plot although i will make it so. i am truly evil x-x

Garrett 08-03-2015 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphiremoon (Post 573497)
(*whispers*) (*whispers more*)

From my own brain, though (and not fabulous writing articles above), try to add in a Midpoint Reversal. It's common in almost every Western culture plotting guide I've seen, and it really, really makes the middle easier. What it is is a revelation, or event, or anything that sends the story completely sideways. A twist, I guess– but a twist you plan, which coincides with your character arc and main plot, and really shakes the story up. Not only does it make the story more exciting and predictable, but it also gives you something to write towards (which is really, really useful in the middle, which is supposed to take up 50% of the story and can make you feel very lost).

Also, pinch points are useful; they're problems/snags in the protagonist's plan that occur at the 33% and 67% mark (ish). They're just conflicts, sometimes subplot-related, that demonstrate the antagonist's power, and remind the protagonist (and readers) about what he's fighting.

Thanks. I'll look at those articles later, because I really enjoy all of the articles you link =D

The thing is, I have a major twist I have planned, and most of the middle is the character figuring out things to lead to the plot twist. I will try to add something else maybe in the middle.

Garrett 08-03-2015 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry (Post 573499)
i literally wrote a random snippet of this one character being tortured for my own pleasure. it doesnt even fit into the plot although i will make it so. i am truly evil x-x

duuuudde. I do the exact same thing *high fives*

strawberry 08-03-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett (Post 573501)
duuuudde. I do the exact same thing *high fives*

oh thank goodness, i thought i was the only one

not sure whether or not i should post it on kp bc its pretty dark and pointless but i really want feedback anyway :p

CarabellaGrace 08-03-2015 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry (Post 573487)
yesssss
usually i rewrite because my writing has gotten better over time and i look back at my old work and go "ew this is crap" but the worst is when stuff goes missing or i realize that the way i portrayed modern high school was incredibly cliche (in my defense i hadnt ever gone to high school in the US so all i had to draw from was movies and other books xDD)
but yeah it really sucks
/tearfully glomps/ u understand the pain

i do that sometimes, go back and look at my old stuff and decide to rework it . . . it never works tho because my old books were such failures that I end up just laughing at myself and giving up c:

*glomps back just as tearfully* sadly i do

Garrett 08-03-2015 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry (Post 573503)
oh thank goodness, i thought i was the only one

not sure whether or not i should post it on kp bc its pretty dark and pointless but i really want feedback anyway :p

Lol, I'll read it. I don't just torture my characters, I slowly kill them. Not in the story, but just for fun xD

strawberry 08-03-2015 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarabellaGrace (Post 573508)
i do that sometimes, go back and look at my old stuff and decide to rework it . . . it never works tho because my old books were such failures that I end up just laughing at myself and giving up c:

*glomps back just as tearfully* sadly i do

ah me too. in fact, with this one especially horrible story i wrote, i did an old writing critique and made fun of it as much as i could and it was very satisfying, yelling at my younger self xD

let us embrace the agonizing process, friend

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett (Post 573509)
Lol, I'll read it. I don't just torture my characters, I slowly kill them. Not in the story, but just for fun xD

same omg except instead of killing them, i destroy everything that matters in their life and leave them broken mwahahahaaa

okay then ill tweak the thing a little and post it soon xp

Garrett 08-03-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry (Post 573510)
ah me too. in fact, with this one especially horrible story i wrote, i did an old writing critique and made fun of it as much as i could and it was very satisfying, yelling at my younger self xD

let us embrace the agonizing process, friend

same omg except instead of killing them, i destroy everything that matters in their life and leave them broken mwahahahaaa

okay then ill tweak the thing a little and post it soon xp

alright ^_^ I have this little girl in my book and her father corrupted her (she's an assassin now) and she just gets enjoyment from slaughtering people and I love writing about her because in my head I'm like "I GET TO KILL ANYONE I WANT TO WHILE WRITING ABOUT HER BECAUSE SHE WON'T FEEL ANY GUILT AND JUNK"

strawberry 08-03-2015 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett (Post 573511)
alright ^_^ I have this little girl in my book and her father corrupted her (she's an assassin now) and she just gets enjoyment from slaughtering people and I love writing about her because in my head I'm like "I GET TO KILL ANYONE I WANT TO WHILE WRITING ABOUT HER BECAUSE SHE WON'T FEEL ANY GUILT AND JUNK"

whoa that sounds intense (wait is this finn's little sister youre referring to)

hahah i like writing about this one guy (not the one who was tortured in my snippet sadly) hes like a model and hes super pretty and lots of people are obsessed with him bc hes moderately famous and he always has to watch his back bc stalkers and creeps 8D he gets kidnapped in my story and in the end turns all "dark" side when someone he cares about dies and hes so conflicted its beautiful

Garrett 08-03-2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberry (Post 573512)
whoa that sounds intense (wait is this finn's little sister youre referring to)

hahah i like writing about this one guy (not the one who was tortured in my snippet sadly) hes like a model and hes super pretty and lots of people are obsessed with him bc hes moderately famous and he always has to watch his back bc stalkers and creeps 8D he gets kidnapped in my story and in the end turns all "dark" side when someone he cares about dies and hes so conflicted its beautiful

Haha yes it is Cyrille (finn's sister)
that sounds awesome!