The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Randomize (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   National day of prayer termination? (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=1576)

AlgebraAddict 07-11-2011 11:03 PM

National day of prayer termination?

So, I've heard that they're trying to not have a national day of prayer anymore because of freedom of religeon. What are your veiws on that?

I think that it makes sense not to have that holiday, but if that was gotten rid of, we would have to get rid of Christmas and Hannukah and Easter and Saint Patrick's day! Those are all religeon-related holidays, yet America acknowledges them as national holidays!

I think that they're taking freedom of religeon too seriously. Lots of people, not just Christians, celebrate Christmas and Easter because that's how they interpet them. And on the national day of prayer, some people just think that they should meditate or something.

shadowtide 07-12-2011 02:03 AM

The National Day of Prayer doesn't force anyone to pray! It's not against our rights, at all. Besides, as Jack has previously pointed out: 'freedom of religion', not 'freedom from religion'.

Ruza 07-12-2011 09:05 AM

Coming from an atheist, I'm not too thrilled about this national day of prayer. But, if you guys want to sit around all day and speak to an invisible sky man, I guess you can do it. :)
It's not like I or any other atheist cares.

wildwolf 07-12-2011 09:09 AM

What's wrong with not having a religion?
Is the government mad we have brains?

AlgebraAddict 07-12-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwolf (Post 142961)
What's wrong with not having a religion?
Is the government mad we have brains?

I really don't understand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruza (Post 142958)
Coming from an atheist, I'm not too thrilled about this national day of prayer. But, if you guys want to sit around all day and speak to an invisible sky man, I guess you can do it. :)
It's not like I or any other atheist cares.

Ruza, for your own good, please grow up. I'm not going to challenge your beliefs, but don't ridicule other people's beliefs. It's not gonna be good for you when you have to work with other people with other beliefs for a living. Not trying to offend you or anything, but just bug off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowtide (Post 142940)
The National Day of Prayer doesn't force anyone to pray! It's not against our rights, at all. Besides, as Jack has previously pointed out: 'freedom of religion', not 'freedom from religion'.

Exactly. You don't have to celebrate it. Who cares? Why would you be against it?

Ruza 07-12-2011 07:03 PM

I have grown up. I have researched religions when I used to believe in God (yes, I, Ruza used to believe in God!) I came to the fact that it was silly, a horrifically funny sham. I then became atheist.
As arrogant as I may be, I'm right. :) You think otherwise, but that's okay.
Anyways, back to the topic of this thread. Continue on.

AlgebraAddict 07-12-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruza (Post 143631)
I have grown up. I have researched religions when I used to believe in God (yes, I, Ruza used to believe in God!) I came to the fact that it was silly, a horrifically funny sham. I then became atheist.
As arrogant as I may be, I'm right. :) You think otherwise, but that's okay.
Anyways, back to the topic of this thread. Continue on.

I'm not saying that you haven't researched religeons. I'm not even concerning myself with your beliefs. You can believe whatever you want. I believe my beliefs, and you beleive yours, and we mind our own beeswax. But please don't say anything at all about your beliefs if you can't include ridicule of the beliefs of others.

GabiDi 07-12-2011 08:33 PM

I agree. People can have it; atheists don't have to pray. They can meditate, relax, or just live the day like normal.

Ruza 07-12-2011 08:34 PM

I only criticize religion, and you call it being intolerant. But you come right at it and say atheism is "dumb" and somehow illogical.
Maybe the reasons why we're "intolerant" is because people (especially Christians) have been intolerant to us.
Not trying to sound all sappy, but I lost a friend because I told her I was atheist. She said she didn't "hang out with" those kinds of people. I have thought about people of religion, and them gettig made fun of. I don't make fun of people: I just criticize in a satiracal way.
Think about the problems atheists go through everyday.

GabiDi 07-12-2011 08:36 PM

We DO. But as that sappy saying goes, two wrongs don't make a right.

It's kind of stereotypical, because I don't mind what religion a person follows, or if they follow one at all, and I'm a Christian. So being poked at because my religion has been "intolerant" is kind of annoying.