The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Free advice (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Your emotional venting thread. I'll explain. (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=2095)

HeatherB 11-05-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.S.Trendom (Post 502731)
hey okay so i don't really have anything helpful to say but
dude i love you bunches and i wish things were so much better for you *hugs*

the same goes for you honey *hugs back*

man i thought zoloft was supposed to help with this shit

Puckbrina159 11-05-2013 09:50 PM

I literally have 2 days to decide what the next 2 years of my life are going to be. Just great.

AlgebraAddict 11-06-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckbrina159 (Post 502852)
I literally have 2 days to decide what the next 2 years of my life are going to be. Just great.

THEY SHOULD BE MAGICAL

Out of curiosity, how?

Puckbrina159 11-06-2013 04:21 PM

My parents, teachers, and guidance counselor all agree that I do not belong in the classes I'm in and want me to move to the gifted classes. I have the general stressful shit of that (deciding if I'm going to do it, and if I do, actually doing it), but then today this got thrown in to the mix. There's this club at my school called Reading Olympics. It's where you're given a group of books to choose from and you read as many as you can and your team does the same. Then, since I'm in 5th grade, we just compete against the other teams in my school to answer questions about the books and all that crap. Anyway, my friend (who's in the classes I'm in now), really wants me to join. I told her I'd think about it but here's the problem. The teams go by classes. So if I switch classes (which if I do will be on Monday), I won't even be on her team if I do join. I haven't told her or anyone else about the whole gifted thing because it's kind of embarrassing. I don't know what to do.
Joining the gifted classes is what I know is best for me. But if I do this, it will change the next couple years of my life as I know it. I have to let my teachers know by tomorrow. Shit. This sucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict (Post 502887)
THEY SHOULD BE MAGICAL

Out of curiosity, how?

See above.

Puckbrina159 11-06-2013 05:05 PM

gAH NO I'M DONE BEING A FUCKING EXCEPTION FOR EVERYTHING

AlgebraAddict 11-06-2013 09:00 PM

Listen, Camille. From what I've heard, you're brilliant and I'm sure you'd do well in the gifted program. If you really can't deal with the stress, then don't do it, but I'm in advanced math and I can tell you that when school is challenging, it motivates you more. It also might help you later on. But whatever you decide, remember that you decide this for yourself. Not being on the same team as your friend might just give you two some friendly competition, and if she's going to ditch you just because you switched classes, then she's obviously not as much of a friend as you thought. You're trying to consider everyone's feelings at once, but honestly this is just about you and what you want to do.

Puckbrina159 11-06-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict (Post 502940)
Listen, Camille. From what I've heard, you're brilliant and I'm sure you'd do well in the gifted program. If you really can't deal with the stress, then don't do it, but I'm in advanced math and I can tell you that when school is challenging, it motivates you more. It also might help you later on. But whatever you decide, remember that you decide this for yourself. Not being on the same team as your friend might just give you two some friendly competition, and if she's going to ditch you just because you switched classes, then she's obviously not as much of a friend as you thought. You're trying to consider everyone's feelings at once, but honestly this is just about you and what you want to do.

I decided a while ago I'm going to do it.
Thank you. I really have a tendency to do that and I have to stop. This post really made me consider some things. So thank you. :)

Lily09 11-06-2013 11:46 PM

not to discourage you or anything but a lot of people who were in the gifted program (including me) feel really bad now
like i used to be in the gifted program and now all anyone says is "wow u used to be so smart and get amazing grades!! what happened to u!!! omg" and there are so many expectations from my own self and from others bc i used to be in the gifted program
i think its because gifted kids get treated as if theyre smarter or better which happened to me but im actually really dumb and stupid so its a huge dissappointment but if u can do well in school later on i think it will be helpful
but also the gifted classes were really fun tbh and u learn a lot of things and it also opens ur eyes to new things
probably late but whatever

Puckbrina159 11-07-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily09 (Post 502958)
not to discourage you or anything but a lot of people who were in the gifted program (including me) feel really bad now
like i used to be in the gifted program and now all anyone says is "wow u used to be so smart and get amazing grades!! what happened to u!!! omg" and there are so many expectations from my own self and from others bc i used to be in the gifted program
i think its because gifted kids get treated as if theyre smarter or better which happened to me but im actually really dumb and stupid so its a huge dissappointment but if u can do well in school later on i think it will be helpful
but also the gifted classes were really fun tbh and u learn a lot of things and it also opens ur eyes to new things
probably late but whatever

I can understand how that could happen but I think this is really going to help me, actually. Hoping the kids are nicer, I'm more challenged, stuff like that.

LaurenM 11-07-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckbrina159 (Post 502902)
My parents, teachers, and guidance counselor all agree that I do not belong in the classes I'm in and want me to move to the gifted classes. I have the general stressful shit of that (deciding if I'm going to do it, and if I do, actually doing it), but then today this got thrown in to the mix. There's this club at my school called Reading Olympics. It's where you're given a group of books to choose from and you read as many as you can and your team does the same. Then, since I'm in 5th grade, we just compete against the other teams in my school to answer questions about the books and all that crap. Anyway, my friend (who's in the classes I'm in now), really wants me to join. I told her I'd think about it but here's the problem. The teams go by classes. So if I switch classes (which if I do will be on Monday), I won't even be on her team if I do join. I haven't told her or anyone else about the whole gifted thing because it's kind of embarrassing. I don't know what to do.
Joining the gifted classes is what I know is best for me. But if I do this, it will change the next couple years of my life as I know it. I have to let my teachers know by tomorrow. Shit. This sucks.

See above.

That sounds a lot like Battle of the Books.
Maybe you can discuss the matter with your friend?
Do you actually want to go to the gifted class though?