The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   And Now, the News... (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Modern Racism? (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=2646)

MaryElizabeth 06-18-2012 08:54 PM

Modern Racism?

Racism. We all have seen it. We all know what it is. It has played an important part in our country's history. My question is, do you think it still goes on?

I think it's obvious. My father, a sensible man, but a black man, still gets suspicious looks when he visits a city, even if he's wearing a suit. A couple construction workers--a Mexican and a black man--said "Hi" to some people in my suburban neighborhood, and the people stared at the ground. Kids have written offensive words on bathroom stalls in high schools quite recently. It's nowhere near done.

AlgebraAddict 06-18-2012 08:57 PM

Yup. It gets pretty annoying. A teenager in the church choir who's black said that she was hanging out with two guy friends and this guy walked past and called her a "little black slut". -_-

nngo 06-18-2012 08:58 PM

Of course it does. Anyone ever reason newspaper articles questioning and talking badly about Obama's heritage? There are examples everywhere.

Moogle 06-18-2012 09:02 PM

Well it's deffinitely not as bad as it used to be, but its' obviously still there. Very unfortunately.

AlgebraAddict 06-18-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nngo (Post 301865)
Of course it does. Anyone ever reason newspaper articles questioning and talking badly about Obama's heritage? There are examples everywhere.

Yup. My family dislikes Obama in general, but when my mom found out he won, she said that she was at least glad that we had a black president... It might help the general problem.

MaryElizabeth 06-18-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moogle (Post 301867)
Well it's deffinitely not as bad as it used to be, but its' obviously still there. Very unfortunately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nngo (Post 301865)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict (Post 301863)
Yup. It gets pretty annoying. A teenager in the church choir who's black said that she was hanging out with two guy friends and this guy walked past and called her a "little black slut". -_-

Okay, stupid subject, then. -_- I doubt there'll be anyone who says it's all good.

Ruza 06-18-2012 09:12 PM

Of course racism is still evident. Discrimination in general, really.

AlgebraAddict 06-18-2012 09:22 PM

Yup. It's not as bad, though. Nowadays sometimes it's just awkward, like when a black girl at church dresses up in an african dress (her mother is from South Africa) for Easter, and then you want to comment on how pretty it is but you can't think of anything that wouldn't be considered racist. >__<

meerkat 06-18-2012 10:34 PM

...and then there are the silly old racial stereotypes. i know how it feels to be a victim of them.

Eric 06-18-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlgebraAddict (Post 301871)
Yup. My family dislikes Obama in general, but when my mom found out he won, she said that she was at least glad that we had a black president... It might help the general problem.

AA, as much as I would love to agree with you, I don't think it works that way. Any sensible American voting citizen wouldn't judge him based on his color, but how he conducts himself, his goals and his priorities as president (which is one of the reasons I supported McCain). And as for the rascist asses out there (excuse my language), I would think they would be angrier because the government allowed a black man to run for president. But that's just my opinion. Hopefully you're right.