The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Randomize (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Forum Game: Last person to post here wins! (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=252)

Ember 04-25-2015 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 569870)
OMG THIS iS LEGIT

i bought this sob hemingway's freaking poetry book for sixteen bucks and this is what i get
worth it.

meerkat 04-25-2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ember (Post 569873)
i bought this sob hemingway's freaking poetry book for sixteen bucks and this is what i get
worth it.

also i just remembered that some kid in my english class last year almost chose this for his poem reciting thingy and the teacher was like "keep it pg-13 please" while laughing her head off
i still love that teacher
she's the one with the "ashes of problem students" jar on her desk and everything and her final was literally just obscure questions about her life

Ember 04-25-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 569874)
also i just remembered that some kid in my english class last year almost chose this for his poem reciting thingy and the teacher was like "keep it pg-13 please" while laughing her head off
i still love that teacher
she's the one with the "ashes of problem students" jar on her desk and everything and her final was literally just obscure questions about her life

hahahaha i was about to do the same thing but i decided against it

meerkat 04-25-2015 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ember (Post 569875)
hahahaha i was about to do the same thing but i decided against it

that poem is truly beautiful, a work of art, deserving of the highest praise

meerkat 04-25-2015 03:05 PM

eyyy guess who totally forgot about recitals tomorrow and guess who's apparently in the "advanced" group and guess who's gonna fail!!!

also i have been texting sravani "fwoffle waffle" over and over XD

LizzieS 04-25-2015 06:11 PM

I hate being sick
I hate spending the whole day in bed watching Netflix
I hate wanting to be productive but not having the energy to do it
How do people just marathon things all day?? I hate this I hate this I want to work on stuff but I don't have the energy to change out of my pajamas

LizzieS 04-25-2015 07:11 PM

HELP how do i write a cover letter

Jesse 04-25-2015 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzieS (Post 569886)
HELP how do i write a cover letter

Act obsessed

E.g
"I've wanted to be an employee of the Cheescake Factory since the moment I was born. I'm totally crazy about your cheesecakes, especially the [very specific cheesecake]. I'm more dedicated to getting this job than anybody your chain has ever hired. My life will not feel complete until I can serve the [different obscure type of cheesecake]."

Act desperate

"I'm poor. I'm so so poor. This job will offer me the money I need I guess, but I also just crave cheesecake."

If all fails outline ransom

$$$ the job is yours $$$

meerkat 04-25-2015 08:17 PM

BECAUSE OF THE COVER LETTER STUFF I REMEMBERED SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT SO HERE HAVE A RED HALF OF SQUARE MOM PSA EVERYONE

regardless of what people might tell you, DO NOT unsolicitedly call the place where you're applying to work/intern/etc and ask about the status of your application. adults might be all like "you gotta show ~~initiative~~ and ~~hit the pavement~~" and stuff like that, but times have changed.

i've had a few jobs/internships before and i know that they pay VERY VERY close attention to who follows the rules and if you start obsessively calling/emailing them to ask about what happened to your application, they will put you on the "do not even consider hiring/accepting this person bc they are incapable of following very basic instructions and should not be trusted with this very important work" list.

keep in mind that most employers are OVERLOADED with applications to get through and they will eventually get to yours if you just chill and wait for them. sure, if they're like a month or two late to acknowledge it, you can just send a one sentence email like: "dear *person in charge*, i submitted an application to *the thing* recently and i was wondering if you have received it, because it hasn't been acknowledged yet. thank you, and i apologize for the inconvenience!" or something similar, just to make sure they got your stuff.

also, i probably sound like a whiny old adult, but PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE be sure to use formal language in your applications! i don't mean overly formal shakespearean language or something, but just don't use text speak or swear or something. also PROOFREAD PROOFREAD PROOFREAD!!!!!!! grammar/spelling mistakes will make you look awful and unprofessional!!!!!!! also, weird email addresses and signatures can make a bad impression. i have a personal email address that i use for talking to friends and basically normal life in general, and a more professional one i use whenever i want to seem mature or something (as well as a school district email that i haven't checked in months ahaha 99% of it is school newsletters and stuff). make sure to respond to emails and phone calls quickly by having your phone/laptop open next to you when you're just sitting around so you don't miss anything important.

and most of all, don't sweat it. remember to prepare yourself for the worst bc you never know if it'll happen. you're gonna be fine XD

lvhamsters 04-25-2015 08:21 PM

Forever relieved I didn't have to submit an application for my job.
I didn't even ask for the job.
They just kind of hired me.