The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Free advice (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   GSRM Community (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=3738)

TheMoonWakedWolf 01-26-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily09 (Post 517004)
That's my problem though? The characters when genderbent, are also the opposite sex. That feeds into the idea that sex=gender. And also that gender=gender expression.

So I'm a bit behind on this, but is it that gender is how someone identifies and sex is their genitalia? I've always been kind of confused on that.
Well, genderbending something is giving them the biological makeup of the opposite sex, not gender, so I don't really think the genderbending itself is bad, just the name of it. Rule 63 would be a better common name for it. Wouldn't be quite as confusing when it comes to anyone noncisgender.

rebecca 01-26-2014 02:10 PM

I've just realised one of my characters is transgender.
I am very accepting of this fact and am going to make an effort if I ever write about him (using his preferred pronoun, obviously) to not be transphobic or cissexist in any way.
This will be very interesting.

It was nice though, because I pictured a scene where his parents haven't come to terms with it and his friend's like: 'Well your parents are assholes', and he smiles and replies: 'No, they just loved their daughter too much'.

pluzzle 01-26-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoonWakedWolf (Post 517008)
So I'm a bit behind on this, but is it that gender is how someone identifies and sex is their genitalia? I've always been kind of confused on that.
Well, genderbending something is giving them the biological makeup of the opposite sex, not gender, so I don't really think the genderbending itself is bad, just the name of it. Rule 63 would be a better common name for it. Wouldn't be quite as confusing when it comes to anyone noncisgender.

yeah the name is just bad for it i guess ^3^
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebecca (Post 517009)
I am very accepting of this fact and am going to make an effort if I ever write about him (using his preferred pronoun, obviously) to not be transphobic or cissexist in any way.

It was nice though, because I pictured a scene where his parents haven't come to terms with it and his friend's like: 'Well your parents are assholes', and he smiles and replies: 'No, they just loved their daughter too much'.

I like that reply

rebecca 01-26-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluzzle (Post 517015)
yeah the name is just bad for it i guess ^3^

I like that reply

He loves his parents, despite their faults. That's all he can see. His parents. Of course, they find it a lot more complicated and really need to get a grip on reality.

Lily09 01-26-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMoonWakedWolf (Post 517008)

yeah to the first
and yes thats what i was thinking if youre gonna change their sex, change the term name too

Lily09 01-26-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebecca (Post 517018)
He loves his parents, despite their faults. That's all he can see. His parents. Of course, they find it a lot more complicated and really need to get a grip on reality.

you should make sure to talk to people who are actually trans to get opinions too, so that the character can react in a way that isn't internally transphobic, or at least so that the transphobia is addressed.
for example, a lot of people will tell trans* people, "if i just met you, i would actually think you are a *gender they identify as*" or "you actually look like *gender they identify as*". this is really problematic as it invalidates the trans* person's gender and implies "you arent actually that gender."
a good rule is that if you wouldn't say something to a cis person, don't say it to a trans* person.
so make sure that your character is getting good representation and make sure that he addresses his parents transphobia.

Lily09 01-26-2014 03:37 PM

my dad just said that santana and brittany on glee were gross for being lesbians and then proceeded to ask me what i was after i defended brittana and then i just said i dont know im 14 jdjjd

Sandy 01-26-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

a few people know that i'm rewriting vladimir's mansion and completely changing it
i have four or five trans* characters and a trans* female gets married to a main character and like you have no idea how excited i am to write this like i'm literally just
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...90/146/41a.gif
i'm so excited and happy i love my characters so damn much
frick

also representation pls
i really think there should be less heteronormativity in children's media like for real

oh and i still have an intense thirst for LGTBQA+ canon disney/pixar movies like yall dont understand

pluzzle 01-26-2014 03:49 PM

gjhghjfghfjhfgjh that sucks D:

im kinda happy because i remembered that once i was talking about dan [howell] and my mum wasn't really listening to me but she said 'so you obviously don't like girls then' and i was like 'well i still can, but why would that be bad' and she's like 'well it wouldn't it doesn't matter'

idk whether that's good or sHE SUSPECTS IT HJFDHHFKJDHKJHFDKJDHHDFKDF

Sandy 01-26-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily09 (Post 517027)
my dad just said that santana and brittany on glee were gross for being lesbians and then proceeded to ask me what i was after i defended brittana and then i just said i dont know im 14 jdjjd

the next time my uncle tells me to get together with a nice italian boy (he's been telling me this so often and i dont even know why like it's totally random) like i'm so fed up i think i'm just gonna straight out be like oh yeah i'm gay

and like the next time relatives tell me to "look for a guy like my dad" (??????????????????????? wat??????? they keep telling me this??? do they want me to marry my dad???????? what does this mean???) i'm pretty sure i'm just gonna be like "but consider this: no"
i dunno i feel like i'm starting to find my feet and i'm being more assertive with stuff like how i want to look and dress and i managed to shut my mom down when she tried to talk me out of cutting my hair rather than just sitting down and being like "oh okay" like how i usually am, so now i'm cutting it as soon as i find the right haircut yee

i feel like it's easier for parents to be heteronormative or shitty to non-het couples when they assume that their child is straight
like when my mom thought i was straight she was always talking shit about gay couples and my fam had a lot of casual transphobia and when i told her, everything changed and she started talking shit about the people who talk shit
she told me she'd support whatever my gender identity is, too, which is great, but i don't think i would be able to just be like "o i'm male" and then have everything change
i would have to tell them about preferred pronouns and clothes and everything and basically tell them what to do because nobody listens to me unless i'm being snarky about it.. ,, ://