The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   And Now, the News... (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Reverse Debating (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=4050)

Jesse 05-22-2014 05:24 PM

Reverse Debating

This is a thread where you try to debate for the point of view that you disagree with. e.g.:

Person who supports gay marriage: GAY PEOPLE ARE SMELLY!!
Person against gay marriage: BUT THAT IS HOMOPHOBIC!!

Well not like that at all but. Basically you try to make points for the side of the argument that you disagree with (instead of the side you believe in). Um, so a person who supports abortion will say things against it.

Idk it's just a way to acknowledge the other argument. It might make you realize how stupid the other side is, but it will hopefully make you more open-minded maybe

meerkat 05-22-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 535465)
This is a thread where you try to debate for the point of view that you disagree with. e.g.:

Person who supports gay marriage: GAY PEOPLE ARE SMELLY!!
Person against gay marriage: BUT THAT IS HOMOPHOBIC!!

Well not like that at all but. Basically you try to make points for the side of the argument that you disagree with (instead of the side you believe in). Um, so a person who supports abortion will say things against it.

Idk it's just a way to acknowledge the other argument. It might make you realize how stupid the other side is, but it will hopefully make you more open-minded maybe

I totally get it.
So what topic could we start with?

SilverMoon 05-22-2014 08:29 PM

This could be fun.

L.S.Trendom 05-22-2014 09:59 PM

Yup, I agree, gr9 idea

Arthurboulos 05-23-2014 06:13 PM

This is sort of awesome :P

Jesse 05-23-2014 06:22 PM

Uhh someone else think of a topic

Arthurboulos 05-23-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 535660)
Uhh someone else think of a topic

Racism? Idk

meerkat 05-23-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurboulos (Post 535662)
Racism? Idk

*my normal POV is that racism is evil and deserves to be exterminated as soon as possible.*

Racists are justified in what they do because they just want to be safe. For example, say I get mugged by a person of race X. Obviously, because I'm sane and normal, I don't want to get mugged again, so of course I'd avoid people of race X for fear of the same thing happening. My brain ends up correlating the image of any person of race X with the experience of getting mugged, which is a perfectly rational explanation of why I avoid people of race X.

*this was actually pretty hard to write! I'll be on this thread a lot ^-^*

Ms.GingerTaur 05-23-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 535665)
*my normal POV is that racism is evil and deserves to be exterminated as soon as possible.*

Racists are justified in what they do because they just want to be safe. For example, say I get mugged by a person of race X. Obviously, because I'm sane and normal, I don't want to get mugged again, so of course I'd avoid people of race X for fear of the same thing happening. My brain ends up correlating the image of any person of race X with the experience of getting mugged, which is a perfectly rational explanation of why I avoid people of race X.

*this was actually pretty hard to write! I'll be on this thread a lot ^-^*

Same here, I'll try though...

Racism helps, it makes it so some know their place, below others and it gets rid of some fights for power. It also does not hurt the afflicted much, if someone is self confident they won't care... and if you are treated someway you can treat someone else that way to.
*sweating*

Jesse 05-23-2014 06:58 PM

Well I was thinking of something more controversial, you know, because there's nothing really good to racism

How about like teaching evolution/the big bang in schools?