The Writer's Block

The Writer's Block (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/index.php)
-   Free advice (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   GSRM Community (http://www.kidpub.com/forum3/showthread.php?t=3738)

meerkat 01-24-2017 10:38 PM

this debate as a whole is SUPER eurocentric tbh
like i've never seen anyone else address the points that i (and the other nonwhite people) have brought up about how sexuality is viewed differently in other cultures??

Jesse 01-24-2017 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swallowtail (Post 593997)
hey sorry but sexuality isn't rock solid either??? tbh I'm not in a great mental state currently so I apologize if anything I've said is rude but?? people can get shit for kissing someone of the same gender regardless of whether or not the person giving them shit thinks they've been having sex with that person or not?? and the same as romantic attraction sexual attraction can change and for a lot of people it does??? And yeah being homoromantic and ace is different from being homoromantic/sexual but I mean I still get shit for it and I also get shit from both sides of it? I'm not straight enough to be straight and I'm not gay enough to be gay and I'm tired of having to exist in this weird sort of limbo where people debate my existence and whether or not my experiences are valid or not.

I also really don't know how to feel about your comment on you being the gay person here because??? can I now not identify as that because it's hurtful or??? do I just give up at this point and accept that I'm never gojng to belong anywhere???

But aren't you, technically, in-between/in limbo? Sexuality isn't binary, you don't have be gay or straight. simple solution would be identifying as "homoromantic asexual" instead of "gay person" but tbh do whatever you want

And sorry to act like a douche and I totally wouldn't even be bringing this up if it wasn't for the fact we were having this debate I swear

--
And for the record, sexuality is rock-solid, in that conversion therapy doesn't work/scientists are pretty much in agreement that self-perception changes over time, not sexuality.

Swallowtail 01-24-2017 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 594000)
But aren't you, technically, in-between/in limbo? Sexuality isn't binary, you don't have be gay or straight. simple solution would be identifying as "homoromantic asexual" instead of "gay person" but tbh do whatever you want

And sorry to act like a douche and I totally wouldn't even be bringing this up if it wasn't for the fact we were having this debate I swear

--
And for the record, sexuality is rock-solid, in that conversion therapy doesn't work/scientists are pretty much in agreement that self-perception changes over time, not sexuality.

I mean I guess I would but then there's a lot of questions on what that means so I guess I just say that I'm gay but sex repulsed? And more of the problem is that I'm often not considered to be part of the LGBT community if I say I'm ace. And yeah sexuality isn't binary but that's also like saying that bi people aren't a part of the community because they aren't gay.
And also I know you're not a douche so please don't think I'm upset at you
Also I've known people who were at first sexually attracted to boys and later became exclusively attracted to girls so do they not exist? I mean obviously conversion therapy doesn't work because you can't force someone to change their orientation but sometimes that does change

Swallowtail 01-24-2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 593999)
like i've never seen anyone else address the points that i (and the other nonwhite people) have brought up about how sexuality is viewed differently in other cultures??

Hey I'm really sorry for not discussing this more? I just don't know much about other cultures' views on this sort of thing since I come from a pretty white family.

meerkat 01-24-2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swallowtail (Post 594002)
Hey I'm really sorry for not discussing this more? I just don't know much about other cultures' views on this sort of thing since I come from a pretty white family.

no problem!! it's our job to educate you tbh.

pluzzle 01-25-2017 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 593999)

I can't speak for this as I come from NZ/UK/AUS and am super white, but I'd be really interested in hearing your take on it from your culture's perspective.

meerkat 01-25-2017 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluzzle (Post 594031)
I can't speak for this as I come from NZ/UK/AUS and am super white, but I'd be really interested in hearing your take on it from your culture's perspective.

there was a very long reply a few pages back, i'll try and dig it up

meerkat 01-25-2017 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 593831)
i get that sexual feelings are seen as positive in european societies, but i'm south asian. i've been raised thinking that ALL sexual feelings are bad, and that asexuality is a good thing. so you can imagine how jarring it was for me to discover that apparently asexuals are oppressed everywhere. tbh when i identified as ace, nothing made me feel more broken than the community itself telling me that the world hated people like me.

excerpt from the thing

Lily09 01-25-2017 02:03 AM

and its not just sexual too. its a bit more acceptable these days but you cant even really kiss in public in thailand.

pluzzle 01-25-2017 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meerkat (Post 594034)
excerpt from the thing

Ty! I missed that reply. That's a pretty interesting POV and I'm sorry to hear that the community made you feel even more broken.