Quantcast The Writer's Block - View Single Post - Shadow Realm | Fan Club
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 09:31 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to saphiremoon

Oheyy c: I'm still alive (again!), but I won't be able to write or be on KP from Monday to Thursday, so here are two farewell excerpts c:

Luana stilled again for a second– then, movements sharp and Cloak billowing, she spun around and faced me with wide, doe eyes.

All my breath left me in a rush. Suddenly, I was acutely aware of her stare on me– and, even more startlingly, what she was looking at. What I looked like.

Oh, God, when was the last time I brushed my hair? Do I even own a brush? Heat rushed to my face, but my fingers were cold. And shave? When did I last shave? The morning before I left, right? Right…? My hand jerked up to my face, but froze halfway, eyes locking onto Luana’s. Did she see that? Why’s she staring? Shit, am I talking out loud again?

She didn’t speak, so I guessed that the answer was no, but it did little to ease my discomfort. But why am I nervous? I’m never nervous like this! Was it because of Luana? But she’s just a human!

And quite an attractive one, part of me chided, but before any other thoughts could occur to me that would make me sink even deeper into embarrassment, Luana waved a gloved hand.

Luana gave me a pointed look and I snapped out of my reverie. Dazed, I nodded, fumbled around in my pocket and withdrew the now crumpled letter. “He wrote it out,” I muttered, squinting at the words in the starlight. Then I hesitated. Eyes darting up to meet Luana’s, I steeled myself and questioned quietly, “You okay?”

“I’m fine.” Her voice was curt and her stare was frosty.

Averting my gaze, I nodded and busied myself with searching the letter. My sweaty fingers smeared some of the ink. What’s wrong with her? What happened?

Finally locating the lines, I scanned them and moved to stand beside Luana. “Found them,” I murmured, risking a glance at her. Her gaze was stony, but I must’ve looked as nervous as I felt, because it softened after a heartbeat.

“I’m fine,” she repeated, in answer to my unspoken question, but her voice was gentler this time. I sent her a doubtful look and she hinted at a smile. “Really, Embers, I am.” She moved to squeeze my arm, but pulled up short.

Slightly chilled, I willed her to meet my eyes, but she was looking away. “The shadows were just weird,” she explained, articulating carefully. “That’s why I’m acting… strange. The Cloak feels odd, too, so that’s not really helping.” She stumbled over the words, and by the end, she was breathless.

My skin prickled. That’s not all that’s bothering you, I wanted to say, but merely nodded. No need to suggest that something else was off.

“Let’s just get out of here.” Luana looked up and I attempted a shaky smile. “You’ve got the Cloak now, so you’ll be able to go get Desmond soon.” If the human is Desmond.

Luana’s eyes brightened. “We’ve got the Cloak,” she corrected. “And we’ll be able to go get Desmond soon.” She grinned. “Right?”

I warmed a little and couldn’t help but grin back. “Right.”