Quantcast Gateway | Brainwashed (Closed Cowrite) - Page 9 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Story Ideas
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply

Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 AM
HannahChen2009 HannahChen2009 is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Stalker >:(
Posts: 1,808
Default Friedrich

I got a lot of inspiration for two new characters so that's who I'll be making today!
Friedrich is the character that I originally got the inspiration for, so that's who's going to be more historically accurate and well-researched. A word of warning in advance: everything about this post is going to be super long and drawn out as I try to include every single detail that comes to my mind about him as I write. [NotNamedAtThisTime] came into the picture as I worked on Friedrich's backstory, so he might be a bit less well-developed.

I have Friedrich's form, and I modified my own form layout so it can fit the narrative of Friedrich's story. I've put backstory and personality in the same category as I feel what happened to Friedrich strongly influences his personality, and it is easier to tell a story that way.
Something to note is that while I tried to be as historically accurate as possible while writing Friedrich's backstory, I set his birth in 1212, and that's a long time ago, where documentations are far and few, and I'd have to find them in the first place. I did spend a good deal of time researching the name origins (for both his name and surname) but came up with limited results, yielding mostly data from post 1800s. So I do what I can, but I love my boi, and I tried my best.
Also, I'm super bad at history, so while writing him into the story, I may not be historically or culturally accurate either. But like I said, I do love the idea of Friedrich, so naturally I hope for everything he does or says to be realistic to a point (because come on, they're in a Magical Sentient Mansion, not everything's got to be 100% realistic) If anyone catches any errors, please tell me and I'd be glad to change the details accordingly.

Name: Friedrich Kraus; Age: 13-15 (exact number undecided)
Friedrich is a German name meaning "peaceful ruler" (fred: peace; ric: power) This name was given to him because his family had a higher social status, and were likely nobles. Friedrich believes (had been told) that their family was distantly related to ancient kings, which was the reason he had been given this name (as told by his mother)
As for his surname Kraus, this doesn't really come up often. Before the [early 11th century], surnames were not popular (in England/the British Isles. I couldn't find substantial data for East Europe.) Back then, given names only consisted of what we now consider first names; if two people had the same name, anything ranging from occupation to home town to physical/behavioral traits could be used to describe different people with the same given name. (A good example is Pepin the Short, who was, surprise! short.)
In the early days of surname usage, surnames were also often dropped or coined at will, and it wasn't until later that surnames stuck and started becoming family names (i.e. being passed down from generation to generation) and most of Britain had surnames in 1400. However, since Friedrich lived in the 1200s and was therefore in the middle of this transitional phrase, (1000-1400) I like to believe he had one but it was not often used.
Kraus means "curly", a reference to his hair (which is, in fact, curly. As is most of his family's)

Gender and Sexuality: Cis Male, undecided
He may or may not have a bit of romantic tension with [NotNamedAtThisTime] but that's undecided until I develop [NNATT] more.

Appearance, Personality and Backstory (oh boy this is going to be long...)
Friedrich was born in 1203 to a wealthy family in what is now southern Germany. He is fluent in German (close to modern German at this point, it's different but as a whole largely recognizable) and knows a little bit of French (also older French) and spent his childhood in one place for the most part. His family looks a lot alike and they have the surname Kraus- most of his family's hair color is a caramel color (that could also be described as a dark blonde or a light brown/auburn/whatever) which curls naturally, and he usually keeps it at an average length. His eye color (according to a southern Germany hair/eye color frequency research I found) is blue.
Friedrich isn't very lean-and-fit, as he does get enough to eat in his family, so he is wider-built, but not so much that one would describe him as 'chubby', since he does exercise regularly. As a child, he started to be trained in courtly etiquette and "noble" things like horseback riding, etc. He had a fairly normal childhood, but he was not the oldest son of his family (he has two older brothers, unnamed) so he always feels kind of overshadowed. He doesn't really get to inherit much land or property from his parents, so he'll have to make a path for himself- most likely as a knight. His parents know this too, and sends him to learn swordfighting (hence the regular exercise), and while Friedrich was not a particularly bright or talented pupil, he remains slightly above average and is keen to learn. He has a fundamental grasp on the finer points of sword fighting when he joins the Children's Crusade.
As a noble, his personality is really only expected to be a bit proud, haughty, snooty, and pampered. However, compared to others he interacted with, he is significantly less so because he knows his social status at the time was not very high (as mentioned, he doesn't really get to inherit anything from his parents) and he understands that he will actually have to put in a bit of work to get what he wants. He is hardworking and studious, and he doesn't despise those better than him, but looks down on those do not do as well as he does. In his opinion or knowledge of the world (at 9 years old), "talent" isn't really an excuse for anything- hard work determines all. (Of course this is only partially true- an in-born talent helps loads with lots of stuff, but yes hard work can make up for a lot of it. At 9 years old, though, he does not agree with this.)
[Now for a bit of historical background here before we launch into the more tragic parts of Friedrich's backstory: the Children's Crusade was the 4th Crusade that happened in 1212 to 'retake the holy land' which was currently taken by Muslims, (Ottoman, I believe?) which ended up being a scam and consisted largely of children. Most children didn't survive the journey from central Europe through the Alps, and a good number of those who did were later sold as slaves.) The movement themselves were started and led by children, and as mentioned, participated by children. Recounts of the Children's Crusade vary in details as it is thought to have been purged from records by the Catholic church, but this quote on wikipedia sums it up pretty well:]
Quote:
A boy begins to preach in either France or Germany, claims that he had been visited by Jesus, who instructed him to lead a Crusade in order to peacefully convert Muslims to Catholicism. Through a series of portents and miracles he gains a following of up to 30,000 children. He leads his followers south towards the Mediterranean Sea, in the belief that the sea would part on their arrival, which would allow him and his followers to walk to Jerusalem. This does not happen. The children are sold to two merchants (Hugh the Iron and William of Posqueres), who give free passage on boats to as many of the children as are willing. The pilgrims are then either taken to Tunisia, where they are sold into slavery by the merchants or else die in a shipwreck on San Pietro Island off Sardinia during a gale.
Friedrich, beliving that he has no place in his family when he grows up (a popular belief/it really did happen a lot back then) decides to follow the preachings of the boy [mentioned in the quote] and follows him through the Alps and to the Mediterranean sea, where he boarded a boat under the belief that he would be taken to Jerusalem, but he was instead sold to slavery in Tunisia, later sold again to Egypt.
His journey through the Alps was filled with (relatively) less pain, hunger, and exhaustion, as he had funds from his parents (who may or may not have been happy to see him go) to use during the Crusade. He brought with him his sword and his horse, both of which were lost to him. (His horse to an avalanche- it could not fit in the crevice Friedrich hid in and ran off, assumingly killed by the avalanche but could also be wandering the Alps; his sword as well as the rest of his money to a bunch of bandits they encountered towards the end of their journey. He did have a bit of extra money hidden in his shoe, but it was only enough for one or two more cold meals for him and a handful of friends.) Still, it was difficult, and a lot of children died from either hunger or cold.
Egypt is where he met [NNATT]. He was sold to [NNATT]'s family as a personal slave for [NNATT]'s 10th birthday, and for the better part of his first few months there, he was too exhausted and scared from the Crusade to put up much of a fight, and spent a lot of time healing both mentally and physically. However, as time passed, he remembered his original pride and could not stand to serve [NNATT], and the thought that he was 'worse' or 'lowlier' than [NNATT] became too much to bear after a while. He tried in secret to contact his family, but in an Arabic speaking country, he couldn't really do anything. He tried to write a letter to his family, and stole some money to pay a German merchant to take it to his family, but whether or not the letter reached its intended destination could not be known, as his family never came for him. (As to whether they didn't recieve the letter or didn't come for him is really up to intepretation...)
__________________
And it gets easier,
Even if it never stops being hard.
-Ena, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 AM
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Stalker >:(
Posts: 1,808
Default

In the rest of the first year and half of the second while he was serving in [NNATT]'s house, the two boys didn't get along well, as they were both pride, impatient, headstrong boys on the surface. Of course, [NNATT] did feel sympathetic for Friedrich sometimes, and Friedrich did have a deep aching sadness, emptiness, and world-weariness digging at him inside, slowly chewing him alive. (He probably got depression at this point.) However, due to the nature of boys not willing to talk things out and Friedrich being a slave to [NNATT], it took very, very long for them to reconcile their differences, and eventually become even friendly towards each other.
This was due to [NNATT] being lonely and isolated from his family and kids around his own age- he started muttering to Friedrich in Arabic, first spitefully, then telling Friedrich about his worries, not expecting Friedrich to understand. However, Friedrich, who had grown used to 'pointing and yelling' as a signal that he messed up, wanted to do things quicker and with more efficiency, therefore getting yelled at less and perhaps getting more sleep and more time to himself more. So, he'd started trying to piece together a basic knowledge of Arabic, which was really hard, but after being immersed in the language for a year and a half, plus his own hard work, he was able to speak crudely in Arabic.
So, he understood [NNATT] more and more, and eventually grew bold enough to reach out and comfort [NNATT] in fragmented Arabic. This caused [NNATT] to be surprised, and a bond grew between the boys after this. With [NNATT]'s help, his progress in Arabic sped up, and Friedrich even began teaching [NNATT] some German as well.
This caused [NNATT]'s parents to be unhappy- their son was already somewhat of a social outcast (he was not liked by other children because he was wealthy in an area that was generally well-off; he couldn't defend himself well so he often got mugged by poor kids bigger and older than he was. And now he was being friends with a lowly slave?) His parents tried to stop [NNATT] from communicating to Friedrich, even going as far as to threaten to cut off Friedrich's tongue, which caused the fear of the two children. After finding each other as unlikely friends, and unwilling to lose each other, they ran away at the age of 12 and 13 respectively.
Afterwards, their timeline starts to become mixed and jumbled. They stumbled upon an entrance to the dimension of the Mansion, and found themselves unable to return. Every time they went through the door they'd originally come through, they would end up in Egypt (but in a different time period), or somewhere else on the Earth, or even in spaces that were completely multi-dimensional and obviously not part of our normal world.
They tried for years to return to their original home, or perhaps even somewhere better, but they were two ethnically different pre-teens who didn't have a dime of money, sometimes in a completely different era than where they were from, with technologies that were either primitive or completely unknown to them. Every time they tried to leave the Mansion and settle down, though, the Mansion would come 'claim' them every once in a while. They would walk through a door and find themselves in an all too familiar setting'; they would be followed by some mysterious people and get knocked out, only to wake up in the Mansion again. They'd even tried to form a suicide pact once, but the space underneath them simply twisted and churned, and they were once again back in the Mansion. (They don't know if they had even left the Mansion while they formed the pact- either they had but the Mansion 'caught' them as they were falling, or they had been in the Mansion the whole time. Sometimes they'd also be greeted with 'false' realities, seemingly they'd escaped into the real world again, but it would be an illusion, sometimes a conjured up farce, or a parallel timeline...)
They tried to avoid going back to the Mansion too. Sometimes it was three days, sometimes it was two months, but they always ended up returning. Time was obviously not linear in the Mansion, and the two boys didn't really know how old they were at this point. They'd met some people in the Mansion as well, but none of the people they'd met so far spoke Arabic or German. (or French.)
The longest they'd escaped (and they counted every day, fearful that they would be claimed every hour of every day) was a year, three months, and seventeen days (so they're at least 13/14 by that time) and was spent in a modern day orphanage in New York. In modern times, people cared less about ethnicity, and they didn't recieve the hostile responses they had recieved elsewhere. They were taken to the police, who realized they were still young and didn't speak a lick of English, and eventually figured out that the light-haired boy was speaking German. They got an officer with German roots to talk to Friedrich, but sadly he didn't believe their story, and they ended up getting sent to an orphanage/home.
They spent their year in the orphanage learning modern English, and finally was able to communicate well with their peers, and hoped maybe they had really escaped the Mansion for real this time. Unfortunately, they were soon claimed back to the Mansion. (Neither could say what method the Mansion used to bring them back this time- neither could recall.) This time, though, if they meet someone, perhaps English will work...

Motives/Side: He's really just trying to survive at this point.
Depending on the number of characters who end up in the story, he and [NNATT] could either be a part of the main group, an individual side-plot (eventually meeting up with the main group somehow), or recurring characters whose paths cross with the main group here and there (but their individual adventures are not in the story). I would prefer the first two since my boi Friedrich and [NNATT] are obviously super cute and important to me <3

Powers: None that I know of. Perhaps being in the Mansion and around this age-old magic (whatever you call it) for so long makes him and [NNATT] develop powers over time, (sort of like... radioaction in superhero movies?) but at the moment I just want them to be normal, scared kids who learn and grow as they adventure.

Other: This thing is 2,819 words :")
Also, I didn't know there was a character limit to WB... apparently there is, and it's 10000 characters. My thing was 16000+ characters. c:
__________________
And it gets easier,
Even if it never stops being hard.
-Ena, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-06-2019, 11:40 AM
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Stalker >:(
Posts: 1,808
Default

So while writing Friedrich's form I started to call [NNATT] "Natt" in my head, and I really liked the feel of that name. However, I did some searching and it turns out the given name and the surname Natt have different origins, but none in Egypt. The given name Natt (which is what I want to call my boi) is a name of Indian origin. It doesn't really have a meaning (It's based on the name of a clan)
So, I looked up other Egyptian names that perhaps have a similar feel and here's what I came up with:

Nour ; light
Naeem ; comfort, ease, tranquil, benevolent (this one has a couple of different terms used to describe it)

I couldn't find originated dates for either of these names (they're more obscure, I guess, and info about exactly when a name originated is hard enough to find)

So... I've got a few ways to go about this...
1. Use the name Natt and incorporate it into his backstory
2. Just fuck it and go with Natt with no regard for why he has that name while it's an Indian name or
3. Use either Nour or Naeem (which one?) or something else

Do you guys have any thoughts? (PS please reply I'm so loooonelyyyy)
__________________
And it gets easier,
Even if it never stops being hard.
-Ena, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-06-2019, 11:52 AM
FrostBittenKitten FrostBittenKitten is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in the milky way galaxy...maybe
Posts: 3,685
Default

That was long,, Iím really impressed with all of the detail you put into their backstory! I like the first idea, because then you could give him the name you wanted and have it make sense (if you can find a way to fit it in). It could be like just something he decided to call himself bc people in the modern world or Fredrich or someone couldnít pronounce his name correctly? Idk, anyways, nice characters!
__________________
on the outside always looking in

will i ever be more than i've always been

tap, tap, tapping on the glass

Waving through a window
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-06-2019, 12:20 PM
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Stalker >:(
Posts: 1,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostBittenKitten View Post
aaa thanks for reading the whole chunk Luna that means a lot <33
Now I'm more excited for my boys and to start writing this :DD
Are we beginning anytime soon? (Should I just make a new thread?)
__________________
And it gets easier,
Even if it never stops being hard.
-Ena, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahChen2009 View Post
Now I'm more excited for my boys and to start writing this D
Idk but I hope we start soon and am ready whenever

Making a new thread is fine
__________________
on the outside always looking in

tap, tap, tapping on the glass

Waving through a window
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-06-2019, 02:21 PM
SilverMoon SilverMoon is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: palmetto state
Posts: 11,003
Default

Haven’t read it all yet but I’m shook and am going to make character forms this detailed for my fucks

So uhhh I guess characters I’ll be controlling r like Minnesota, Jaxon, Mallory, and Cystenian-who-needs-a-name-change. Maybe more if I get inspired, yknow how it goes
__________________
this and this and this
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Stalker >:(
Posts: 1,808
Default

Quote:

Making a new thread is fine
if no one else does I'll make one later!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
Havenít read it all yet but Iím shook and am going to make character forms this detailed for my fucks

So uhhh I guess characters Iíll be controlling r like Minnesota, Jaxon, Mallory, and Cystenian-who-needs-a-name-change. Maybe more if I get inspired, yknow how it goes
I'll just be with Willow, Friedrich and Natt, probably. If I have more I'll make forms for them but right now I want to finish researching Natt and make a more detailed origin story for Willow too~
__________________
And it gets easier,
Even if it never stops being hard.
-Ena, 2017
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01-13-2019, 06:47 PM
SilverMoon SilverMoon is offline
Senior Member

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: palmetto state
Posts: 11,003
Default

Quote:

What about Laia at some point? For the ship (although they probably have to be heavily reworked lol)
__________________
this and this and this
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:40 AM
Senior Member

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Stalker >:(
Posts: 1,808
Default

Quote:
perhaps a secondary or recurring char?
__________________
And it gets easier,
Even if it never stops being hard.
-Ena, 2017
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
luna was here, my mango was here

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.