Quantcast Religion [not a debate; just lost lil' me] - Page 25 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Free advice
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2009, 05:22 PM

Quick reply - got to go to bed.
The reason I haven't refuted every single one of those links you posted, Claudia, is because really 1. You showed me how scientists proposed the ear COULD have evolved but not the entire motive behind it! Yes, I understand that it could have come from the jawbone. Sure. But that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing HOW could it have evolved from the jawbone if hearing wasn't the motive behind it.
But if you want to start on evolution, okay...
btw, Calla, the link you posted on evolution was really helpful.

Continue later.

M
Old 07-17-2009, 09:42 PM

Old thread. I'm posting anyways. I recomend the book Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. It was a great book.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:10 PM

Oh, and the "DaVinci Code"... just because it's a fun read...
Old 07-24-2009, 05:03 AM

Default Omg...

Oh, and the sequel, too, "ANGELS AND DEMONS" - this really covers the fight between religion and science (a.k.a Claudia and Maryam, if I've concluded rightly from this whole thing).

Oh, BTW, did you guys realize this is like TWENTYFIVE pages?!?!? OMJ, Maryam and Claudia totally went CRAZY over this! And Lauren - the title? You need to change it. It isn't 'RELIGION [not a debate; just lost lil me]'.
Y'know, it shuld be : 'RELIGION [DEBATE, DEBATE, DEBATE!!!]'. LOL.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:56 AM

it wasn't meant to be a debate...
Old 07-24-2009, 07:39 AM

Lightbulb

I know exactly what you mean, Lauren. I sorta doubt God sometimes, and there was one period of time in which I didn't really believe a lot of stuff the Bible says, but then I remember something my great-great grandfather, a WWII veteran, told me when I was about four (it's my only memory of him):

"When I was living in camp, not one person was an atheist or science/evolution believer. Because in a place where bombs go off daily and you never know who's not gonna make it through the day, you gotta believe that something--someone--is watching you and protecting you. Not one person didn't pray to God or whoever it was that they believed in, because every single one of us knew that we had a chance of never going home again."

And about the whole slaves of God thing, I don't think that we are His pawns. Actually, I think the contrary: He lets us have our own minds so that we can find our own ways. He made us so that we can learn from our mistakes, and still love Him no matter what. You know the song You Found Me by the Fray? Well, that's kinda what it's getting at. "Lost and insecure, you found me, you found me. Lying on the floor, surrounded, surrounded. Why'd you have to wait? where were you, where were you? Just a little late, you found me, you found me." God lets us down sometimes, lets us be on our own, and bad things happen. But hope also grows out of those bad things, hope that one day things will get better. My personal belief is that more than anything, God is Hope.

For more stuff to thing about, read the book The Shack if you haven't already. That's the perfect kind of thing to think about when you're stuck in a situation like you are.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:29 AM

lol. Susmi, you're right. Me and Claudia DID go crazy over this! I really need to meet her face-to-face, it's better than clogging up Lauren's search for the truth... We were just too combustible, I guess

Oooh, I just got an idea. Even though me and C's ideas about stuff are radically different, I still call her my friend, and respect her for a lot of things - so maybe *going wildly into imagination* we can, like, start a TV show! "Religious Girl and Atheist Girl..." lol.

Now, seriously - sorry, L. We totally took this over from what it was supposed to be and morphed it - for 25 pages!! - into something completely different...
Old 07-25-2009, 02:00 AM

Wink

Hey! That's a great idea!

Maybe you both could go on Oprah or something - arguing about this! LOL!
The Religious Girl and The Atheist Girl... haha!

Good Luck!

Maybe Lauren will pitch in too!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 PM

Wow, yeah, I think I get what you're saying Susmi. I hear people blame God for bad stuff that happens all the time, or say "Why did God let that happen?" and then turn around and say that God wants us to be mindless puppets. But that's like saying that God should turn us into mindless puppets so that the world will be a better place, then saying that God should let people have free will. It's one or the other. With free will, people are gonna get hurt. But there's good in it too.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:54 AM

Have you read ANGELS AND DEMONS, De-Ecrivain? (Hey, your name... it's French for 'Of writing' isn't it? Coolio!) It explains clearly what you're saying. Like why God lets things like these happen. I believe it's because he wants us to learn on our own, make our own mistakes and understand what war does.
Like the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki... that will never happen again will it?
And World War 2 (okay, I admit people used to be stupid when they didn't stop after the consequences of world war 1) - World war three isn't going to occur anytime soon is it?
LOL, I think I got that cleared up...

Tags
advice, religion