Quantcast Weekly Reader Contest (National Contest!) - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Contests
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 04:04 PM

Default Weekly Reader Contest (National Contest!)

Here's a national contest sponsered by the Weekly Reader that my teacher showed me. Here are the rules, if you want to enter:

http://www.weeklyreader.com/sites/de...PA11_FINAL.pdf
Old 12-09-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieS View Post
Here's a national contest sponsered by the Weekly Reader that my teacher showed me. Here are the rules, if you want to enter:

http://www.weeklyreader.com/sites/de...PA11_FINAL.pdf
That would be fun to enter, but I already have a contest on my hands. My LA teacher wants my friend Heather and I to enter this "Letters About Literature" contest where we write to the author and reflect, yada yada, so I have to do that first.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMi View Post
That would be fun to enter, but I already have a contest on my hands. My LA teacher wants my friend Heather and I to enter this "Letters About Literature" contest where we write to the author and reflect, yada yada, so I have to do that first.
You have to enter THAT?! D: My teacher (Mrs. C, same teacher who showed us this) made us do that, too. Letters About Literature is the most boring contest ever. We've had to do it two years in a row, and both years have been about how my sister yells at me, 'cause I don't connect with the books I read AT. ALL.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
You have to enter THAT?! D: My teacher (Mrs. C, same teacher who showed us this) made us do that, too. Letters About Literature is the most boring contest ever. We've had to do it two years in a row, and both years have been about how my sister yells at me, 'cause I don't connect with the books I read AT. ALL.
My classmate B and I were grouped together to discuss how to do it, and he described it as: "Write emotional and convincing lies about your life to awe the judges." XD At some point, he was also singing the "Dora the Explorer" theme and babbling on about "Momu and Shaha". He's an interesting kid, that one.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
My classmate B and I were grouped together to discuss how to do it, and he described it as: "Write emotional and convincing lies about your life to awe the judges." XD At some point, he was also singing the "Dora the Explorer" theme and babbling on about "Momu and Shaha". He's an interesting kid, that one.
Ha, yeah, that's the point of it. I love my English/Gifted class (most of the kids in my Gifted class are in my English class, 'cause we have Gifted English instead of regular English). We have the same English class as last year, and we all friends. ^_^ In lit. circles last year, my group was me and my friends Michael and Josh, and we would always sing the Reading Rainbow theme song and Mrs. C would yell at us. >.< Strict lady, she is. And if we laugh too much she gets suspicious.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Ha, yeah, that's the point of it. I love my English/Gifted class (most of the kids in my Gifted class are in my English class, 'cause we have Gifted English instead of regular English). We have the same English class as last year, and we all friends. ^_^ In lit. circles last year, my group was me and my friends Michael and Josh, and we would always sing the Reading Rainbow theme song and Mrs. C would yell at us. >.< Strict lady, she is. And if we laugh too much she gets suspicious.
Haha. XD That sounds awesome. My school is pretty small, so there are only like twenty kids in my grade and ten in my class, so everyone's pretty good friends. XD In Social Studies today, for a project, a friend of mine recorded everyone in my class playing "Ring Around the Rosie" (a VIOLENT song), then slowed it down and put it with music. It looked SO awesome.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Haha. XD That sounds awesome. My school is pretty small, so there are only like twenty kids in my grade and ten in my class, so everyone's pretty good friends. XD In Social Studies today, for a project, a friend of mine recorded everyone in my class playing "Ring Around the Rosie" (a VIOLENT song), then slowed it down and put it with music. It looked SO awesome.
WHOA. O.O My school has about, what, 200 people in my grade? Maybe 150. I dunno... *runs off to check yearbook*

...we have about 285 people in our grade. Give or take some. So... 285 times 3? About 855 kids at my school. O.O
Old 12-09-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
WHOA. O.O My school has about, what, 200 people in my grade? Maybe 150. I dunno... *runs off to check yearbook*

...we have about 285 people in our grade. Give or take some. So... 285 times 3? About 855 kids at my school. O.O
O.O o.o O.O My school is K-8, and it only had 220 people in it. O_e About seventy in the Middle School alone.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
O.O o.o O.O My school is K-8, and it only had 220 people in it. O_e About seventy in the Middle School alone.
...and our school only has 3 grades. 6-8. Gosh, our auditorium doesn't even fill us all!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
...and our school only has 3 grades. 6-8. Gosh, our auditorium doesn't even fill us all!
O.O

Every Wednesday, our whole school sits in the gym around the candle in COMPLETE silence for half an hour. E_E Then we sing. o.o

We're a private, Quaker school. :3