Quantcast How do you make a book cover? - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 PM

Default How do you make a book cover?

Hey, I was just wondering how to make book covers. I'm kind of new to the whole kidpub thing and have recently seen these awesome book covers and i'm just like, how do they do it? Any help would be appreciated, I just want to start learning so i can make my own book cover, which would be awesome!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Location: Held captive by Loki while waiting for the Doctor who is solving a mystery with Sherlock.

It depends. You can get an account on a website or something (or so I am told) or just make it on Paint.Net. I use Paint.Net, it's easier for me. But for the account thing, I'm not sure so don't rely on that!!

is not KNOWLEDGE
but i m a g i n a t i o n.
- Albert Einstein

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember View Post
Hey, I was just wondering how to make book covers. I'm kind of new to the whole kidpub thing and have recently seen these awesome book covers and i'm just like, how do they do it? Any help would be appreciated, I just want to start learning so i can make my own book cover, which would be awesome!
I use a few different programs, but mainly GIMP. I do have Paint.Net as well though. Find some high-quality pictures on flickr (Get permission first cause of copyright) or some sort of site (You can even take them yourself) and save them all. You'll be using these when you open up your GIMP or Paint.Net. There are multiple guides to use these programs, but what I use mainly to morph the images together in GIMP is the following: Using the Lasso tool, I believe. Double click the lasso tool and set Feather Edges radius to at least 50. Select the tool and then draw an area around the hard edge of an image. Click Clear or Delete to get rid of that hard edge and a smooth gradient that fades transparent so you can see the other image will appear. You can press Clear or Delete however many tools you prefer until you are satisfied.

This is a beautiful option that helps a lot with creating these covers. Blurry images and low-quality graphics will create the outcome to be a lot lower quality so make sure you choose the right images and get permission (if you have to) to use the images as well!

I wouldn't recommend using Google Images as you don't know if the image is subject to copyright or not. Hope this helps!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jesse

I use PicMonkey, which is a free photo editing website that you don't have to sign up for or anything. You find an image/s (I usually use MorgueFile), and then you drag it into PicMonkey. The rest is pretty simple. You can edit the photo there and add text.

(Around holidays and stuff, you get more options for editing, which I think is cool.)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember View Post
I use http://pixlr.com/express/ quite a bit. It's pretty useful.
greatly exaggerated.
-- Mark Twain