Quantcast Who do you think is going to win the 2012 US Elections? - Page 7 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > US Elections
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 09-07-2012, 05:08 PM
sigfig sigfig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Because blood transfusion's and abortions are so different, An abortion is killing a baby in the womb and a blood transfusion prevents people from dieing. Also, an abortion doesn't have to be done immediately, So if they really wanted one, they should travel to a none-Catholic hospital.
The issue wasn't abortions here. The issue was religion. Her problem was that a Catholic hospital shouldn't have to provide contraceptive healthcare because it's Catholic. So basically, it doesn't have to do something just because it feels like it. That argument doesn't hold up.

An abortion most certainly does have to be done within a certain time, or else the baby becomes too mature. And you are gravely overestimating the number of abortion clinics in the United States and overestimating everyone's financial capacity to just travel to a different hospital. You do realize that in particularly conservative states, i e Mississippi, where there is only one abortion clinic in the entire state, such arguments do not hold up?

Furthermore, I am arguing Stephiey's point that hospitals are being forced to provide abortions, which I assumed was true for the sake of argument. I don't know where she got that. Not every hospital performs abortions. Every employer however, must provide said insurance for their employees, which shouldn't even be a religious violation.
__________________
Coffins: http://www.kidpub.com/story/coffins-318126128
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-07-2012, 05:11 PM
sigfig sigfig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephiey View Post

Yes, but why would they force Americans like my family and others to pay up to $40,000 extra in taxes when they can just cut government spending?
By that logic, why have a government in the first place? Then we would all pay no taxes! Yay!

No.

Your taxes go towards building a better society and giving a hand-up to those born in less fortunate circumstances than you to ensure equal opportunity of achieving the American Dream.

Being greedy isn't an argument. And it certainly doesn't portray the Repubs in a positive light.
__________________
Coffins: http://www.kidpub.com/story/coffins-318126128
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-07-2012, 05:20 PM
L.S.Trendom L.S.Trendom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: en route to Mordor, punching my father, Voldemort, in the nose for not liking my Father's Day gift
Posts: 58,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Because blood transfusion's and abortions are so different, An abortion is killing a baby in the womb and a blood transfusion prevents people from dieing. Also, an abortion doesn't have to be done immediately, So if they really wanted one, they should travel to a none-Catholic hospital.
They're based on the same argument: that it's against the 'organisation's religion'.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 PM
cheezemziez cheezemziez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Wi-Fi.
Posts: 9,199
Default

So, by your logic, if a person who decided to follow a random, zany religion became the head of a GP practice, or whatever it is that you call them, they could just decide not to give out, say, vaccinations, because their religion believes that needles are evil. Let's face it, if it wasn't a Catholic thing, then everyone would object.
__________________
All my desperate calls
Echo off the walls
Back and forth
Then back again
At the bitter end
Salt and liquid blend
From the corner of my eyes
So let your heart hold fast
For this soon shall pass
There's another hill ahead.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Stephiey Stephiey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TEXAS!! Howdy, y'all!
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigfig View Post
The issue wasn't abortions here. The issue was religion. Her problem was that a Catholic hospital shouldn't have to provide contraceptive healthcare because it's Catholic. So basically, it doesn't have to do something just because it feels like it. That argument doesn't hold up.

An abortion most certainly does have to be done within a certain time, or else the baby becomes too mature. And you are gravely overestimating the number of abortion clinics in the United States and overestimating everyone's financial capacity to just travel to a different hospital. You do realize that in particularly conservative states, i e Mississippi, where there is only one abortion clinic in the entire state, such arguments do not hold up?

Furthermore, I am arguing Stephiey's point that hospitals are being forced to provide abortions, which I assumed was true for the sake of argument. I don't know where she got that. Not every hospital performs abortions. Every employer however, must provide said insurance for their employees, which shouldn't even be a religious violation.
I agree with Jack. A blood transfusion is needed in life-threatening situations, while an abortion is not. (Well, most of the time, anyways.) That's because Obama's mandate hasn't gone into effect yet (I think, I'll check on that). It's a huge topic in the Catholice Church.
__________________
~Stephanie
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 PM
sigfig sigfig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephiey View Post
I agree with Jack. A blood transfusion is needed in life-threatening situations, while an abortion is not. (Well, most of the time, anyways.) That's because Obama's mandate hasn't gone into effect yet (I think, I'll check on that). It's a huge topic in the Catholice Church.
It doesn't matter if something is life threatening or not. Vaccinations aren't emergencies. Can a hospital just decide that they are against its beliefs? I don't see how "importance" came up as a matter at all. Every health issue is important to the person who has it.
__________________
Coffins: http://www.kidpub.com/story/coffins-318126128
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-08-2012, 02:41 AM
rebecca rebecca is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: honestly I can't even think of a witty answer anymore this is tragic
Posts: 6,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephiey View Post
I agree with Jack. A blood transfusion is needed in life-threatening situations, while an abortion is not. (Well, most of the time, anyways.) That's because Obama's mandate hasn't gone into effect yet (I think, I'll check on that). It's a huge topic in the Catholice Church.
So what about if an abortion is life threatening, and joy of joys, the only hospital they got to was Catholic owned!
__________________
“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” - Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Stephiey Stephiey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TEXAS!! Howdy, y'all!
Posts: 608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca View Post
So what about if an abortion is life threatening, and joy of joys, the only hospital they got to was Catholic owned!
I think that should be okay.
__________________
~Stephanie
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-09-2012, 05:40 PM
cheezemziez cheezemziez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Wi-Fi.
Posts: 9,199
Default

But the thing is, they won't give them an abortion. Because it's against their religion, and that is apparently more important than anything else.
__________________
All my desperate calls
Echo off the walls
Back and forth
Then back again
At the bitter end
Salt and liquid blend
From the corner of my eyes
So let your heart hold fast
For this soon shall pass
There's another hill ahead.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-09-2012, 08:10 PM
sigfig sigfig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephiey View Post
I think that should be okay.
All of these specific situations don't matter. The fact is that corporations are not people even if Mitt Romney disagrees. Companies cannot have a religion.

If you are the owner of a hospital and you are Catholic, then you should have no problem with providing abortions. Why? Because nobody is asking you to stick a crowbar up there and pull out the baby. You simply have to FUND it. That's what this is. You have to pay for the administration of those services and ensure that your company provides them.

Now if you are a hospital employee, say a surgeon who is redirected towards performing such services, as improbable as it may be, and are Catholic, then that is a different story. That is between you and your employer.

A public service that affects peoples lives like a hospital cannot just pick and choose what it likes and doesn't like. In my opinion, healthcare should not be a private sector job in the first place, but that requires much greater reform than Obama is willing to do and Republicans are willing to let slide. We shouldn't be capitalizing upon people's suffering.
__________________
Coffins: http://www.kidpub.com/story/coffins-318126128
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grandmama wants poo, i vote for my ferret

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.