Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Contests
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2015, 08:18 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcate781 View Post
Hmm... that's a tough one. I would love for you to be a judge, but it would be kind of difficult if you submitted something to the contest. Could I maybe figure it out with some of the other people who are helping me with the contest?

Btw, I will be putting a post on KP in the next couple days asking if anybody else is willing to help out. :D
Okay :-) If it's better for me not to be a judge that's fine
Old 02-24-2015, 08:25 PM

Hey I have an idea for me!
I can do book covers as prizes <3 I don't really care how many I have to do, though.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:26 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Hey I have an idea for me!
I can do book covers as prizes <3 I don't really care how many I have to do, though. :D
Yeah same I could help if you wanted Meera :)
Old 02-24-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
Maybe we should make a list of everyone who's helping out, figure out what we need to do and when, and then make different teams?
Yeah, I think that'd be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Is there anyway I can volunteer as a judge and still enter the contest..? bc I definitely want to enter
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcate781 View Post
Hmm... that's a tough one. I would love for you to be a judge, but it would be kind of difficult if you submitted something to the contest. Could I maybe figure it out with some of the other people who are helping me with the contest?

Btw, I will be putting a post on KP in the next couple days asking if anybody else is willing to help out.
Maybe you could help judge a certain category, and then enter a different one?

By the way, how many categories do we plan on making?
finally
free

or is this
just a prettier
cage?
Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 PM

i haven't read through this whole thread but i'll be a judge if you need any more judges!!
and also i think a good prize would be a "subscription" - the judges (or whoever) have the comment on, say, 5 things the winner posts from the time they win on. i think anyone would really appreciate that, and i think they'd appreciate that more than people commenting on things they've posted a while ago.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:53 PM

Okay, so I read through this thread, and you guys are planning on doing different categories? If you're trying to make this like the old monthly contests, why don't we just do a prompt and give people a month to enter a story? Or, if you want to give it a few categories, give a short story prompt and then a poetry prompt. I don't think we should narrow it down too much into multiple rounds and categories because honestly, you don't know how many entries we're going to get. It's much easier to just do one or two prompts, and it will work no matter how few or how many entries we get. It's also less complicated, and these things usually fall apart if they're too complicated.

I think the contest limits itself should be relatively simply, but then we should think of a big prize. The cool thing about the monthly contests wasn't the contest itself, but the fact that it had a cash prize.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieS View Post
Okay, so I read through this thread, and you guys are planning on doing different categories? If you're trying to make this like the old monthly contests, why don't we just do a prompt and give people a month to enter a story? Or, if you want to give it a few categories, give a short story prompt and then a poetry prompt. I don't think we should narrow it down too much into multiple rounds and categories because honestly, you don't know how many entries we're going to get. It's much easier to just do one or two prompts, and it will work no matter how few or how many entries we get. It's also less complicated, and these things usually fall apart if they're too complicated.

I think the contest limits itself should be relatively simply, but then we should think of a big prize. The cool thing about the monthly contests wasn't the contest itself, but the fact that it had a cash prize.
Yeah, that sounds good. There should probably be a word minimum/maximum, and maybe a few other guidelines to follow, such as a maybe having to write something new, not using something already written.
I think I'm in a drawing group with Cherry and I think mysterygirl. My memory is not working correctly right now. I can also do some judging, if everyone's okay with that.
So is there going to be two categories, short story and poetry, or something else?
If so, what will the prompts be? Any ideas?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:52 PM

If it's possible, for judging purposes, we could make the entries anonymous only when the judges see them. I know how to do that. Basically, people could email me (or someone else in charge) their entries and we could assign each of them a number before passing them on to the judges to eliminate biases.
(restrain me)
Old 02-24-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
If it's possible, for judging purposes, we could make the entries anonymous only when the judges see them. I know how to do that. Basically, people could email me (or someone else in charge) their entries and we could assign each of them a number before passing them on to the judges to eliminate biases.
(restrain me)
That sounds great!
Who will be judging, and what? (Poetry, short story, etc.)
Old 02-24-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
That sounds great!
Who will be judging, and what? (Poetry, short story, etc.)
I might judge short stories if I have time. Probably not. I guess I'll just facilitate parts of the thing and make covers.

Tags
i like mangos, my mango was here, say hello to the mango