Quantcast Writing Advice-Adjective syndrome-Writing help? :confused: :eek: - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Free advice
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2011, 08:01 PM

Location: a place where we wear hats on our feet, shoes on out heads and hamburgers eat people. No joke.
Default Writing Advice-Adjective syndrome-Writing help? :confused: :eek:

OK, so this thread if made for two reasons. 1: for me to get advice and not clog up the NS page. 2. for others to give and get advice on WRITING.

Anyway, here is my problem.

I am growing distant from writing. i just can't get INTO the plot. and o over do my adjectives, so when i am writing it is rambling on, trying to cram in adjectives. my wriitng is no longer poetic and nice, more like . . . drifting away from the plot. i need to focus on the plot. that's why i write songs, but i want to write, and publish but i have to finsih the book first! can somebody please help me. I don't know how to stay on track. i am easily distracted. any advice?

If God is for us, then who can be against us? -- Romans 8:31

"I collect words, put them together and create something amazing. Through me, words can rise and walk, as they have always been in my heart. Some people may not get it, but I am a word weaver." -- Me
Old 01-28-2011, 10:41 PM

Location: Stalking in the silence; listening to your tortured dreams.

Hmm... I'm not sure how to help you. At the moment the only thing I can say is to stop yourself when you notice that you're rambling or straying from the plot.

We lie best when we lie to ourselves. ~ It; Stephen King.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Hmm...............maybe, instead of using a bunch of big adjectives, use simpler words for now. Then when you go and edit, you can replace SOME of the smiple words with bigger and more interesting words.
As far as straying from the plot...........................maybe try and think up some ideas first. Like, on a separate document, try typing some vague ideas for what will happen next. Then pick 1, and try and write it straight out without any rambling. If you notice yourself straying or rambling, then delete the rambling/straying and try again. Try to be very brief and vague, and then you can always go back and edit, adding more description and stuff.
Also, if you find you don't want to write (as in you have WB) then force yourself to write a little bit. If you do, then you'll get back the vibe. That's what I did.
I hope I helped you some!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more dreaming like a girl, like a girl so in love...with the wrong world.

Snow White's stitching up the circuitboard...

inside of me.

-quote on dA
Old 02-21-2011, 12:55 AM

What I usually do before writing a story ('cuz I have the same problem) is write down a really basic one page outline for the whole story, then just stick to that and maybe even write a bit dull and boring just to keep on track, then go back and edit it to colour it up.
It usually works for me, but everyone has a different style of writing.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 AM

Location: a place where we wear hats on our feet, shoes on out heads and hamburgers eat people. No joke.
Talking

Thanks guys! it's really helping. i'm getting back on track

If God is for us, then who can be against us? -- Romans 8:31

"I collect words, put them together and create something amazing. Through me, words can rise and walk, as they have always been in my heart. Some people may not get it, but I am a word weaver." -- Me
Old 02-21-2011, 08:52 PM

I agree with everyone else. Also, remember some advice I've learned; when you say things like:

"But I want an ice cream cone," Clara pouted.
"No," reprimanded her mother, "you can't have one."
"You have to eat your hamburger first," agreed her father.
"That's no fair!" Clara complained.

See all those fancy things for 'said'? Now, since 'said' is the most basic, it fades away in the reader's mind, actually HIGHLIGHTING the dialogue. It's less distracting.

"But I want an ice cream cone," Clara said.
"No," her mother said, "you can't have one."
"You have to eat your hamburger first," said her father.
"That's no fair!" Clara shrieked.

The way I do it is

a) Don't overdo adverbs. Things like CHILDISHLY, SWEETLY, KINDLY, TIMIDLY, HARSHLY all in a row tend to seem boring and overdone. Example:

"But I want an ice cream cone," Clara said childishly.
"No," her mother said firmly, "you can't have one."
"You have to eat your hamburger first," said her father sternly.
"That's not fair!" Clara shrieked unhappily.

b) Don't go too fancy when using alternative words for 'said.' I use Said, asked, answered, responded/replied, and that's as fancy as I get usually, unless I'm referring to dynamics, like shouted, screamed, whispered, murmered, or mumbled.

c) Even the advice in B can be removed if the dialogue and punctuation shows what the dynamic is anyway. Like, you don't need to say: "I hate you!" Clara shouted angrily.
It's easy to see that Clara is shouting, and that she is angry, because of the exclamation point, right? Unless she doesn't mean it, like

"I hate you," Clara said, giggling.

Instead, try what people call BRACKETS. Brackets are the action that accompanies the dialogue, like:

"I hate you!" She slammed down her fork and crossed her arms.
Or,

"I hate you!" Clara pounded her small fists harmlessly against his chest while she giggled.

It's much easier.

d) It's shocking to see how much more effective short, serious words are than long, frilly ones are.

-Douglas Adams

Tags
adjectives, advice