Quantcast Advice - Page 2 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Free advice
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 PM

Default :3

I've been feeling discouraged lately, but don't worry, I'm not depressed or upset XD Just like...conflicted, I guess. Because one thing I hate about myself isn't what most girls my age hate: they think about how they wish their hair was curly or they were skinnier, or they wish they could get good grades on the report card to impress their friends. Me? I wish I wouldn't compare myself to others. Now, it can be healthy and constructive to compare oneself to a classmate who is somewhere at your level, or a bit higher. Like this girl in my band class who I sit next to who is a brilliant artist. I've learned a bit from her to improve my own work. And she says I've taught her a few things about wolf anatomy and such that really helped her, too. Even if I consider her better than myself at art, it's good for me, because I can learn from her. Unfortunately, it is far more common for me to make irrational comparisions. Like if I write something, I may compare it to JK Rowling, or if I'm working on a poem, I find myself thinking about Edgar Allan Poe and how great he was at them. But with art I am especially critical with myself. It's like how people look in the mirror and think they're fat when they're really thin. I look at a picture of mine and think it's out of whack when everyone else says it's beautiful.

My dream is to become an animator for Disney or Pixar. But I feel like I don't ever give myself credit, only critisizm. because I compare myself to Disney, and think, "They would never want someone like me, who looks so mediocre compared to them." or to anyone who is slightly better than myself, like, "Oh, I wish I could draw like THAT!" And everyone is like years older than I am, so I keep telling myself they've had more practice and stuff, but I can't help but wonder where I will be when I'm their age.

:P That is all XD
Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 PM

I see your problem WildWolf.
Here's my advise:
Just be yourself. Everone's different and everyone has a different talent. Don't you think that Disney had to practice A LOT to get to where they are now? So just keep practicing. Remember, everyone has a different talent. And try not to compare yourself, you're only a kid!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 PM

Thanks Haley that's great advise!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 PM

oh, no problem
Old 04-23-2011, 11:36 AM

Hi! Okay I'm in desperate need of help. I have this friend-let's call her, Sam, I know random name. Okay so Sam is just a really awesome person. She's so nice and we've been friends for a little under a year. I don't see her that often. Not really that much. But we used to chat on email a couple of days a week and sometimes even more. She's always wanted a facebook but her parents told her she had to get straight a's. (Btw, I'm not allowed to have a facebook account) and she finally got straight a's and I was so happy for her and I know she really wanted a facebook and now...she can finally get one. We have so much in common and I consider her one of my best friends. Ever since she got her FB account she hasn't been really emailing me. My guess; she's been on FB and nothing else. I don't blame her. It's new-probably cool and yeahh I don't blame her. She emailed me once after I emailed her a bunch of times and she seemed fine-she seemed herself. It's just she's hardly ever is on email and she rarely texts me anymore. I was on email a couple of minutes a go and then her name popped up on the chat. I immediately started chatting but she didn't respond and I can't even tell you how happy I was to see her name on the sidebar thingy. I was literally smiling and I told her that. Than I saw that she was no longer online. I don't know if I did anything. I don't know if she's just really busy but I'm just really upset right now. I worry a lot so I'm re-thinking everything I've ever said to her and nothing could possibly have upset her. I don't even know why I'm asking for advice. I don't even know what I'm asking for. I just don't know what to do and I remembered this thread and I just immediately started typing up this. And I just-*sigh* what should I do? I've never been this upset before about this kind of thing. I want to cry. But I have to stay strong. Jeez, crying? Seriously Becky? That's so last....year. Ah, see....I'm just....upset
"There's no need to call me "sir" Professor."
The words had escaped him before he knew what he was saying." J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter and the half-blood prince)
Old 04-23-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writer97 View Post
Hi! Okay I'm in desperate need of help. I have this friend-let's call her, Sam, I know random name. Okay so Sam is just a really awesome person. She's so nice and we've been friends for a little under a year. I don't see her that often. Not really that much. But we used to chat on email a couple of days a week and sometimes even more. She's always wanted a facebook but her parents told her she had to get straight a's. (Btw, I'm not allowed to have a facebook account) and she finally got straight a's and I was so happy for her and I know she really wanted a facebook and now...she can finally get one. We have so much in common and I consider her one of my best friends. Ever since she got her FB account she hasn't been really emailing me. My guess; she's been on FB and nothing else. I don't blame her. It's new-probably cool and yeahh I don't blame her. She emailed me once after I emailed her a bunch of times and she seemed fine-she seemed herself. It's just she's hardly ever is on email and she rarely texts me anymore. I was on email a couple of minutes a go and then her name popped up on the chat. I immediately started chatting but she didn't respond and I can't even tell you how happy I was to see her name on the sidebar thingy. I was literally smiling and I told her that. Than I saw that she was no longer online. I don't know if I did anything. I don't know if she's just really busy but I'm just really upset right now. I worry a lot so I'm re-thinking everything I've ever said to her and nothing could possibly have upset her. I don't even know why I'm asking for advice. I don't even know what I'm asking for. I just don't know what to do and I remembered this thread and I just immediately started typing up this. And I just-*sigh* what should I do? I've never been this upset before about this kind of thing. I want to cry. But I have to stay strong. Jeez, crying? Seriously Becky? That's so last....year. Ah, see....I'm just....upset
Try talking to her about it! Maybe it's not FB she's been on. Maybe she's upset about something. Of course, she wasn't mad at you because you didn't say anything.
But if it was FB, you still have to talk...maybe a phone call since you rarely see her? Or asking her about it right when she gets on the chat box again? If she gets mad and says you're "bugging" her, then just try to back off and let her cool down. Just try to be as comforting as you can. Hope I helped. And I really hope you guys work it out ok!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:31 PM

Location: In fourth year at Hogwarts, going on epic adventures at night with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

I need help.

I really like this guy. HE poked me on Facebook (which means he has a crush on me)! I poked him back. Then he poked me again. Then I poked HIM again.

Anyway, I haven't talked to him since all this "poking" has been going on, but I want to talk to him. I don't know what to say, or how to say it, or how to approach him without feeling deeply embarrassed. But I need to talk to him. I want to.

How? Help please??

In peace,
~ Mallori Sparke
Old 05-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Hmm....I guess I need some more advise.
I want to have a friend (who's a boy because I want to see what it's like). But all boys just think that girls aren't cool and that they think it will be embarrassing to have a girl for a friend.
Any ideas on friend-making?
-Jay
Old 05-08-2011, 02:53 PM

hmmm....Maybe you can proove your cool! Do you like baseball, or a sport they do? You can play a game with them or something. The way I do it is, my brothers always have friends and stuff. so I am always hanging out with the boys. And they don't even care, (infact they like me, but I don't like them) and I play sports, and do everything they do. (well not everything....) But anyway, I wrestle, and I am very tough because I have 4 bros, so for me it is because I have bros.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:57 PM

I have bros, and sometimes they let me do things. Like I play on the tire-swing we have with them, and one time since my brother and his friend were outside playing with fire cracker things, this boy gave me some popper things. (It's these really fun things that when you throw them on the ground, they make a popping sound.
Thanks so much Haley!

Tags
advice