Quantcast Religion [not a debate; just lost lil' me] - Page 3 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Free advice
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 05:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to -snowfire-
Default I never knew i could write so much.

(Anyone who actually reads through all of this, i salute you lol.)

Well I've always been brought up as a Christian. Went to a Christian primary school, and i am at a Christian high school - everything and almost everyone i know is Christian (except now in highschool there are quite a lot of disbelievers..) At first it was a shock to me that one of my friends wasn't Christian...but i grew used to it. People can believe what they want.

Personally, i believe God exists in some way or another. And with the Bible, a lot of it is metaphoric i think. Like with the evolution thing. But some of it could have possibly happened. For example, when Moses took Israelites through the ocean and he lifted the water out of the way - i watched this documentary ages ago that said that if the tide was right and the air or something like that, the water could actually be put apart and the slightest change could bring it crashing down. But does that mean it's the work of God? Shrug. (helpful)

Also when i was a sceptic as a child i was saying how God didn't create everything becuase, you know, the big bang theory. And she was always like "but who created the spark that created the big bang theory, or if there was never a beginning, then who created that? You can't create something out of nothing." Or something like that. I just went with it and agreed.

Wow i wrote a lot. O_O. Also in Eragon (lol) he was beginning to doubt his religion but inthe end he said "That many people can't be wrong." or something like that. So is that right for Christianity? It must be true because so many people believe in it? Again. I have noooo idea.

But yeah. I am an awesome help with this right?:P
Old 01-07-2009, 01:01 PM

Rawr, rawr, rawr! Ok, I forgot some stuffies!

I don't know if we covered this, but I'm adding to my post, which was a bit emotional... This one will probably also be emotional, but that is besides that point

Okay, the lamb-sheep thing. It has been used as an example. That we are the sheep and God is the sheepherder, he guides and protects us, even if it doesn't feel that way most of the time. And for the record, I'm one of the those people who would take a bullet for my God. I believe in him so strongly, that you could call it blindness. This may be hard to relate to, but... I FEEL him. I know he is there, guiding and protecting.

Evolution? Do I believe it? Nope. But that's just me...

And I do agree with Maryam on many points, even though we come form different cultures and such. Evil people are people who have turned from God. I may have said this before, but God gives us free-will, he doesn't jerk our strings like puppets.

I'm probably ranting now, so I'm closing off this post.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM

Default What I think

Yes, I do think that there is a "cosmic conciounse" (or however you spell that).
No, I don't always set store by the Bible
Yes, I do attend Church
No, I don't want to... but sometimes
Yes, I believe other religions are correct.
No, I will not shun others if they are athesists
Yes, I don't agree with a lot of stuff in religion
No, I'm not an athestist
Yes, I do believe their is an after-life
No, You're most likely not going to be sent to He** for, I have been taught that most sins will be forgiven and I'd like to set by that
Yes, I am some-what doubtful
No, all religions are equal and we should respect that and try not to convert people to our own unless they are sincerlly interested.
Yes, the end of the Earth will come, but no, evil horse-men will not come and kill us all or angels come and save us, but the sun will swallow the Earth

Anything else?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:14 PM

that was a very good and intersting summery. I really enjoyed reading that.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to -snowfire-
Post hahhaha

Okay Reply to Kazels (i meant kazel lol) post:

Yes, so do i.
No, I don't always set store by the Bible like with the Evolution thing.
Yes, I do TRY to attend Church but there's always something in the way..
No, I dont particullaly want to but i think i need to. If that makes sense.
Yes, I don't believe all other religions are correct. Like some made up religion where god wants you to kill people.
No, I will not shun others if they are athesists - agreed.
Yes, I agree with a lot of things in the Christian religion for example 'thou shalt not kill'.
No, I'm not an athestist
Yes, I do hope there is an afterlife but really, who knows.
No, You're most likely not going to be sent to He** for, I have been taught that most sins will be forgiven and I'd like to set by that - agreed.
Yes, I am some-what doubtful in some parts of religion.
No, all religions are equal and we should respect that and try not to convert people to our own unless they are sincerlly interested.
Yes, the end of the Earth will come, but no, evil horse-men will not come and kill us all or angels come and save us, but the sun will swallow the Earth. Or a gigantic comet will come and hit the ocean that will create a mega tidal wave/tsunami (not to mention killing everyoen that was in a 100 mile radius or something like that) then all this dust will come up into the atmosphere and block the sun for days or weeks or months or years so nothing will grow, the air will be thick with dust so its hard enough to breathe. In the end humans will probably end up like the dinosaurs. Or the ozone layer gets destroyed and the sun will burn the earth to a crisp. Or - actually a lot of things can happen.

So...yeah.

Last edited by -snowfire-; 01-08-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Okay, I kind of just skimmed over this... So sorry if I totally am coming out random, I haven't posted on here for ages.

Yeah, so, I'm pretty sure God exsits... I DO believe he created the earth in one way or another, like he caused the Big Bang... I believe in Evolution. But I think he played some roll in that, too.

I don't believe there's an afterlife. Not for me anyway. I mean, I guess there is, but in some ways, I think it's just a safe-haven for people, heaven, that they don't want to melt into nothing after they die. Death is... scary. That we'll just forget our life, after we die, that it'll be like we didn't exsist. Like... nothing exsisted.

Okay, I'm gonna stop talking.

But yeah... Hm. I don't know. I read the Bible, I study it. I think all religions have truths, and all of them have faults, or loopholes. *shrugs*. Am I just annoying you people? Sorry...
Old 01-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -snowfire- View Post
Okay Reply to Reds post:

Yes, so do i.
No, I don't always set store by the Bible like with the Evolution thing.
Yes, I do TRY to attend Church but there's always something in the way..
No, I dont particullaly want to but i think i need to. If that makes sense.
Yes, I don't believe all other religions are correct. Like some made up religion where god wants you to kill people.
No, I will not shun others if they are athesists - agreed.
Yes, I agree with a lot of things in the Christian religion for example 'thou shalt not kill'.
No, I'm not an athestist
Yes, I do hope there is an afterlife but really, who knows.
No, You're most likely not going to be sent to He** for, I have been taught that most sins will be forgiven and I'd like to set by that - agreed.
Yes, I am some-what doubtful in some parts of religion.
Yes, the end of the Earth will come, but no, evil horse-men will not come and kill us all or angels come and save us, but the sun will swallow the Earth. Or a gigantic comet will come and hit the ocean that will create a mega tidal wave/tsunami (not to mention killing everyoen that was in a 100 mile radius or something like that) then all this dust will come up into the atmosphere and block the sun for days or weeks or months or years so nothing will grow, the air will be thick with dust so its hard enough to breathe. In the end humans will probably end up like the dinosaurs. Or the ozone layer gets destroyed and the sun will burn the earth to a crisp. Or - actually a lot of things can happen.

So...yeah.
I don't know if I should to flattered or enraged as you seemed to copy and pasted a bunch of what I said.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:50 AM

Umm, snowfire, I don't want to cause any problems, but by 'some made-up religion where God wants you to kill people' I hope you didn't mean Islam.
God, I HATE it when people misunderstand what I believe and just blindly believe what is generally said about it...
Old 01-09-2009, 05:29 PM

I don't think she meant Islam, I think she was being general.... But I think thats an interesting question--so many people believe in "their" religion, how can they all be right? Thats one of the loopholes I was talking about. You can't just "guess" right, one religion can't actually be right.

at least thats my view of it...

-Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:09 AM

This is another long post, so long that it has its own introduction. O_o
Sorry I haven’t posted for a while...
I’ve been reading all the posts, but it’s hard to take all this in, and to find time to go into as much depth as I can... And I’m not going to answer some of gthe points, because I haven’t posted for so long that other people have answered my questions for me XD This will also be very patchy, because I’m trying to reply to so many things and I’m trying to piece it all together :P

Firstly a few things from Maryam...I don’t think I believe that evolution could have happened by itself either. It seems...unbelievable....to think that everyone is here by some big coincidence. And I know what you mean – with the structure of the ear. It’s simply unbelievable that we could have evolved like that....More unbelievable than if God exists. And Claudia, you said that it’s to do with natural selection – and yet how can we explain things like Maryam’s example (hearing thing...)? Also, like Cass said, how can something...the big bang...be made out of nothing? Also, I‘d like more opinions on what Zoe brought up – that evolution is true, and yet god created it....played a role in our evolution, guided us to be what we are. I’d like people’s views....and I think I’ve repeated myself from my other post, but I’ll just keep going XD

I understand about the parent analogy, and respect and sort of can see light on that...but – why would life be a test? Is life just a test to get into heaven, or hell, after we pass on? Our whole life’s purpose is to simply lead up to our deaths and determine our existence after death? And if people suffer in this life but they are innocent, would God not help them (perhaps He won’t or can’t, I know, the parent analogy thing...) because after they die, he can...what’s the word...*reward* (ok not right word but You know what I mean) them? (maybe got a bit ahead of myself there....)
There were way too many brackets in there. XD

And death is scary. Very scary. I don’t know if the afterlife is made up as a safety net, but fear can do a lot of things, and if this fear can be doused by promises of an afterlife... *shrug* I don’t know how to end that...
The “rules” God sent, in the Bible, Qur’an and Torah and such – were those rules to act like, using that analogy again, parents? To guide us, and yet they can’t control us? Because that sort of makes sense...

OK one of my first doubts about “blindly” following God like sheep has been cleared up. He is seen as a shepherd; we are “sheep” to follow his guidance if we choose. Understand that now...

Quick question ( I would research it but I’d prefer direct answers) What’s the difference between Islam, and Christianity?

I’d like to research Buddhism... (randomly in the middle, I didn’t know where to put it )

And Claudia - what you said about religion not being so concrete... that was really helpful. Exactly what I was having trouble believing was that God was like a man, somewhere in the sky, in heaven. I found that inconceivable and so frustrating to think about. But if He’s not so solid (couldn’t find a better word XD) it’s much easier to understand, to believe, to have faith. Just a divine force...

Oooooooh let me try - I won’t copy and paste XD
Yes, now I do think that there is some divine force – (is that what you meant by cosmic conscious?). It makes SENSE somehow; I just don’t believe what kind of force it is yet.
No, I don't think I will always follow the bible blindly, even though I haven’t read all of it...
No, I don’t go to Church, though I used to
But I think I might go again. I’m trying to find my way...and I may as well gain some knowledge in a church...
Maybe – I’m not sure whether all religions are correct.
No, I won’t shun anyone on the basis of their religious beliefs
I also am sceptical about some things in religion
No, I'm not an atheist. I think something must be there. Something.
I don’t know whether there is an afterlife. I haven’t thought about it, or been taught about it, much before.
No, I don’t think anyone’s going to be sent to Hell...or if there even is such thing as hell...or heaven, for that matter. Need to think more about my beliefs on the afterlife...But from what I can gather, there will be forgiveness
Yes, I am doubtful – of course I am, that’s the whole reason for this thread XD
I believe all religions should be respected, and people should believe what they have found, not what other people are forcing on them
Yes, the world will end. Someday. I think that it is inevitable...and question – would that be God’s *fault*? If he created the world, would he end it?

Another question, not entirely sincere (hehehe) – Calla, why would you need to take a bullet for God? Would he really be affected by a man-made invention; and anyway, can he die? I don’t think religion dictates that he will...haha anyway, no need to answer that, just my random questioning. Anyway that almost completely contradicted the email I sent...

And I know...I know I can’t know everything. I know that I can’t find answers, or excuses, for everything. I know, eventually, it will come down to what I believe, not what I know – but I want to get as much knowledge as I can – I’ll research – before trusting myself to make a choice...

Tags
advice, religion