Quantcast Monthly Writing Contests-- Revived!!! - Page 2 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Guilds
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-27-2017, 02:01 PM
alemye10 alemye10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: places, okay!?!
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steampunk View Post
Okay so first off, we should discuss the kind of writing we want. The original/official Monthly Writing Contest included poetry, stories, and essays. Do we want to include all of these? If so, how often? We could have a three month cycle, starting with poetry, then a story, then an essay, then starting all over again. Or we could just do it sporadically. It's all up to you Mr(edit:s so Mrs.) Creator dude.

Another thing we still need to sort out: age groups. In the OMWC (Old/Original Monthly Writing Contest) it was sorted like this: "Each month the staff chooses one overall winner, who receives a $50 Amazon Gift Card, and two runners-up, one from an author aged 12 or older, and one from an author under 12, who each receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card." (obviously there will not be any gift cards involved in this system). So we have three options: A. Use the same system as the OMWC, with one overall winners and a runner up from each age group, B. Divide them completely into two age groups and choose two co-winners, one from each age group, or C. Mash everyone together and choose only one winner (unless you have a different idea)

As for the actual topic for this month... if we're doing poetry I've found that a vague theme is usually best and allows more room for creative flow. We could do something themed around the season the month is in (ex: summer. Beach. Heat. Etc.) or we can choose an unrelated topic.
Ohh! Great idea! I was thinking of starting in September.

So yes. Thank you for being the practical organized person here. Maybe we could do all three, Poetry, essays and stories. In a cycle like you said. Poetry, short story (no more than 2000 words) and last essay. The topic matching the month sounds great. So like, if we start in September, maybe like, education or fall or something?

So ages. I was just thinking we could do under(some age) and over (some age). But I'm not sure we should pick two winners the first time because I don't think we'll get many entries since it's just the first time.

So uh, yeah. I just realized I started every paragraph with 'so' lol. Thanks for all your organization again. Any more ideas on what we should do?
__________________

Sometimes you need to stop flapping your wings and soar
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-27-2017, 04:47 PM
Steampunk Steampunk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemye10 View Post
Ohh! Great idea! I was thinking of starting in September.

So yes. Thank you for being the practical organized person here. Maybe we could do all three, Poetry, essays and stories. In a cycle like you said. Poetry, short story (no more than 2000 words) and last essay. The topic matching the month sounds great. So like, if we start in September, maybe like, education or fall or something?

So ages. I was just thinking we could do under(some age) and over (some age). But I'm not sure we should pick two winners the first time because I don't think we'll get many entries since it's just the first time.

So uh, yeah. I just realized I started every paragraph with 'so' lol. Thanks for all your organization again. Any more ideas on what we should do?
Okay, that sounds good. We can go more into topics later, once we have everything set up.

Haha sorry I can be a bit slow sometimes, would you mind explaining what you mean? Because you said under and over ___ age but that there shouldn't be two winners...? So do you mean the single winner and then the two runner up system like from the OMWC? Or something else?? Sorry

Yeah, no problem. I'm just happy to help. Umm well right now we should mostly just be trying to put together the basics. But one thing I was thinking about was how everyone is trying to fit the different renaissance ideas together to increase activity on KP. And since this might kind of classify as that (I think??) I was thinking that maybe you should try setting up a partnership with another project. Like how the mentor program and the Houses are working together sort of. So two possible options for that (if you decide that's something you're interested in looking into) are:
1. Set it up with Jack or whoever is running the Houses so that winning the contest will give the winner a reasonable number of points. This could provide incentive for members to participate.
2. You could try asking Justin (the guy who's running "Justin-terviews", the character interview thingy) if he'd like to partner with the MWC. In this case the winner of the contest would win an interview for one of their stories. I'm not really sure he'd be up for this, since I think he has his own thing going but it's worth a shot.
3. Ask Re (I think she's the one running the mentor program) to somehow collaborate with the MWC. It could be a seasonal activity or something and it would basically be a short story competition (directed and judged by the peeps here at MWC) but would be a team thing. The team would consist of a mentor and their mentee and they would have to write and edit their entry together. This wouldn't be for the benefit of the MWC (not like how the other two would be incentives to get more people to join) but could provide an opportunity for younger and older members to work together, allowing younger members to improve upon their writing with the help of their mentor, and allowing older members to get a fresh view of their work from their mentees.

Anyway, those are just a few ideas. There are still more things to discuss but it's best to take smaller steps, or else it becomes overwhelming. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-27-2017, 05:02 PM
alemye10 alemye10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: places, okay!?!
Posts: 513
Default

So about the age group thing... I just meant we have one winner for now. Depending on the number of entries we may have one or two runner ups. So we could do 12 and under. One winner and MAYBE one or two runner ups. Same for above 12. Sorry I wasn't clear before. Make sense now?

Fitting this into the KP Renaissance thingy is actually a great idea once we get this up and running. The house points is a good idea, especially since it's starting to slow down. Hmmm. I think I'll announce this on the Main House Post and see if Jack approves? Or whoever is running it now? Is that okay?

Justin-terviews is also a good idea. So if I have it right Justin can interview the main winner from each category, right? If we agree on the this I'll go see if he's okay with it.

Mentorship program. Hmm, I wonder how we can do this. I'm not that sure about it but I have an idea. Every so often we can do a contest along with the normal contest where pairs can team up and write a story together somehow...?

It's nothing. I'm open to listening to everybody's ideas. Thank you for helping!
__________________

Sometimes you need to stop flapping your wings and soar
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Steampunk Steampunk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemye10 View Post
So about the age group thing... I just meant we have one winner for now. Depending on the number of entries we may have one or two runner ups. So we could do 12 and under. One winner and MAYBE one or two runner ups. Same for above 12. Sorry I wasn't clear before. Make sense now?

Fitting this into the KP Renaissance thingy is actually a great idea once we get this up and running. The house points is a good idea, especially since it's starting to slow down. Hmmm. I think I'll announce this on the Main House Post and see if Jack approves? Or whoever is running it now? Is that okay?

Justin-terviews is also a good idea. So if I have it right Justin can interview the main winner from each category, right? If we agree on the this I'll go see if he's okay with it.

Mentorship program. Hmm, I wonder how we can do this. I'm not that sure about it but I have an idea. Every so often we can do a contest along with the normal contest where pairs can team up and write a story together somehow...?

It's nothing. I'm open to listening to everybody's ideas. Thank you for helping!
Uh yeah I guess.

Glad you think so! I'm not sure if Jack is very active right now so you may have to ask around, but yeah sounds good.

Yep. And I think he's online right now, so this is a great time to do it. You can either ask him on his thread here on the WB, or you can try asking him on the AN.

Okay.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 PM
alemye10 alemye10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: places, okay!?!
Posts: 513
Default

KK. Let's see. I think I'll comment on the mentorship thread to see what everyone thinks and the main houses thread
__________________

Sometimes you need to stop flapping your wings and soar
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-27-2017, 05:37 PM
Steampunk Steampunk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemye10 View Post
KK. Let's see. I think I'll comment on the mentorship thread to see what everyone thinks and the main houses thread
Okay, sounds good.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-27-2017, 09:14 PM
alemye10 alemye10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: places, okay!?!
Posts: 513
Default

Things are going pretty well. I think I'll make a post a little after August begins saying what we are doing so far and last minute judge sign ups. But I won't announce the contest topic or anything, we'll wait for September 1st for that.
__________________

Sometimes you need to stop flapping your wings and soar
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-28-2017, 06:46 PM
Vivace Vivace is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 43
Smile Some Comments and Ideas

I think that your judging system is a good idea.

About seasons as a topic, it wouldn't work unless you stated a particular season because it is winter where I live. I do think that some great poetry could be made about seasons though.

Another topic idea could be some historical event put into poetry or perhaps something to do with nature.

The looping through poem, short story, essay, is a great idea and I also think that the mentor idea might be good as a one off.

As for starting dates August is ages away, could we start earlier?

I can do some advertising for the MWC around the sight if that helps.

You could call me Vevaci. (this is pronounced vi-var-chee, btw)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-28-2017, 07:10 PM
alemye10 alemye10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: places, okay!?!
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivace View Post
I think that your judging system is a good idea.

About seasons as a topic, it wouldn't work unless you stated a particular season because it is winter where I live. I do think that some great poetry could be made about seasons though.

Another topic idea could be some historical event put into poetry or perhaps something to do with nature.

The looping through poem, short story, essay, is a great idea and I also think that the mentor idea might be good as a one off.

As for starting dates August is ages away, could we start earlier?

I can do some advertising for the MWC around the sight if that helps.

You could call me Vevaci. (this is pronounced vi-var-chee, btw)
Thanks for the feedback!

Seasons.. oh yeah! Sorry, I forgot about how KP has people around the world. I guess we will have to think of another topic. Nature is a good idea. So for our first contest should we do poems in the category of nature. Is that okay for everyone?

About the mentor program... are you in it Vevaci? You should do it.

I'm not sure when we're starting then. You live in New Zealand, right? Do we have the same months?

Advertising would be great! Thanks!

Also, do you have google docs? I'm making a document with the information.

Thanks for your support!
__________________

Sometimes you need to stop flapping your wings and soar
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-28-2017, 08:12 PM
Vivace Vivace is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemye10 View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

Seasons.. oh yeah! Sorry, I forgot about how KP has people around the world. I guess we will have to think of another topic. Nature is a good idea. So for our first contest should we do poems in the category of nature. Is that okay for everyone?

About the mentor program... are you in it Vevaci? You should do it.

I'm not sure when we're starting then. You live in New Zealand, right? Do we have the same months?

Advertising would be great! Thanks!

Also, do you have google docs? I'm making a document with the information.

Thanks for your support!
Nature suits me

The mentor thing, I have put my name down as interested, but I will look further into it.

Yes I am from New Zealand and we do have the same months but September still seems like a long time to wait.

As for advertising I will put something on the AN and maybe post some comments or something.

I do have google docs but I am not allowed to share my email.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
#alemwashere, #writingcontest, heyo, rproject, the turtles are coming

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.