Quantcast Should Schools Cut Music to Save $$? - Page 9 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > And Now, the News...
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaR View Post
AGH SCREW YOU I'VE BEEN TRYING TO BREAK 6 FOR 3 YEARS NOW BUT THANKS TO MY STUPID FUGGING TOE I HAVE TO WORK IT BACK UP FROM LIKE 8 MINUTES AGAIN AND I'VE BEEN RUNNING SINCE I WAS 4

Sorry. It's not personal. I'm just jealous of your awesome 1500 time.
But 1500 is less than a mile, right?
My coach was terribly disappointed I wasn't feeling really good that day and I think I broke my record because my old record was like two years ago.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 AM

This is probably waaaayy off topic, but... they should seriously keep music in schools. I mean, who hasn't seen all the surveys and things done on how music makes kids smarter. Like, go cut football or something... -_-
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 PM

*REVIVES!*

Sorry if I'm offending any KP sports lovers here, but I have to say something. You get way more out of music academically than sports. I know I'm stating the obvious, but shouldn't that have some consideration? Sure, sports makes you excel physically but not academically. I always considered academics to be more important than physical things. I know that everyone has their own opinion on that but that's mine.

Azure

Indigo

Cerulean

Cobalt

Periwinkle

And suddenly the blue will not seem so dark, more like the color of the noon-bright sky."

--The Realm of Possibility by David Levithan
Old 07-24-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckbrina159 View Post
*REVIVES!*

Sorry if I'm offending any KP sports lovers here, but I have to say something. You get way more out of music academically than sports. I know I'm stating the obvious, but shouldn't that have some consideration? Sure, sports makes you excel physically but not academically. I always considered academics to be more important than physical things. I know that everyone has their own opinion on that but that's mine.
ACTUALLY
As big of a proponent of the arts as I am (playing three instruments and coming from a musician family), sports are shown to increase academic performance as well. Sports really do help you form academic skills, especially really important skills like teamwork, selflessness, and self-advocacy. Exercise has been shown to help cognitive functioning (blood to the brain and all that jazz) and to increase the GPA of students as well as standardized testing scores.
Sources (because I know you'll want them because it's KP and you must give your sources): Here and here
Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 AM

The difference between athletics and arts is that we created the athletics and the arts created us.

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 PM

Default i was looking around and i'm passionate about this topic. trigger warnings ahead.

music education is, quite honestly, my life.

schools should not cut music. cut everything equally, but by all means, keep the music programs. they are literal life savers. if i never learned music, who knows where i'd be today? it's the one reason i'm mentally stable, one of the few things i'm good for, and the reason i've met some of the most amazing people who have literally changed my life. i haven't made such close friends in the numerous sports i've played. and you can name almost any sport and i've probably competed in it at least once. i've been an athlete for longer than i've been a musician, and put my heart and soul into both, yet the latter has affected me the most.

if i never sat down for piano lessons that day in second grade, or never stumbled upon that old cheap student flute back in elementary school, i wouldn't be the same. i'd be a crying unstable emotional wreck with nothing to push me back into my place, nothing to give myself direction and purpose, nothing to keep me living. i used to be a bit suicidal in middle school until i joined marching band this year. i was known for always doing my best and making sure every practice run was performance-worthy. even the upperclassmen looked up to me, a freshman who was passionate about what she did because it literally kept her alive.

and i wasn't the only one who put this much effort into it all. we were all in it together, yet each part was so different, and i loved that. i realized i had a purpose and that i was good at something, that no one could replace flute sixteen on the field and march it as well as me. not even the section leader could, because i knew the sets by heart and i knew that was my drill and only my drill. and that itself was a reason to keep me alive. i haven't had such self-destructive thoughts and acted on them since then.

and music improves academic performance (literally, during the year i quit piano i also got my worst ever grades, and my best grades were in marching season when i did six to eight hours of practice a day. and all the music kids at my school, regardless of whether it's band or orchestra or choir, have the highest grades and are known for it throughout the school. most honors students here, me included, also sing or play at least one instrument). do your research.

i only show feelings during music practice, and i'm too ashamed to admit that i have emotions. it's strange how a simple nocturne or sonata is all it takes to turn me from a logical reasonable person into someone who knows she has feelings and will make sure they shine through all those notes. and being able to express myself in a way i have fallen in love with over and over again is worth the pain of learning a new piece and screaming and crying and swearing. when i say i hate a composer or a piece, i never sincerely mean it. it's just the frustration of the moment, but there's always a part of me that's completely star-struck and in awe and, dare i say it... emotional.

i have a friend you should know about, a friend i don't usually talk about. she's an extremely talented music major in university, who started learning after she made an attempt on her life and mahler's adagietto number five played on the hospital radio while she was there. if she'd never heard that piece, if she'd never been exposed to music, she literally would not be alive today. that piece reminded her that life has something to offer for everyone and there are still beautiful things in a sucky world. and if that's not wonderful, what is? would you really take that away from someone just for new sporting equipment or something like that?

i look up to this girl in so many ways and she's been so good to me and is just an all-around great person to hang out with. and if it wasn't for music, if she'd never decided she wanted to learn to play it, if she hadn't stumbled upon the clarinet and began to pursue that, the world would be so much dimmer without her. and if i hadn't joined marching band this year, maybe i might not be here as well. just think about that.

music is powerful. it's immensely powerful. no amount of sprint-induced adrenaline rushes can compare to the sudden and intense and all-consuming silence after you've taken a bow after your first solo performance. no amount of sports victories in a tournament where you could've sat out and been replaced can match the feeling when your marching band wins a competition and you know that if it wasn't for you showing up and playing your completely unique part none of this would be possible.

if a basketball player or swimmer can't compete, the game goes on and a replacement is found. but musicians are irreplaceable. one person's interpretation is never the same as another's. if your accompanist decides to not show up, it's nearly impossible to find another person who plays the piece the same way they do. trust me, i'm both a flute soloist and a piano accompanist. and beginners, in some cases, can be just as fulfilling to listen to as virtuosos because of the unique color they give the piece.

i know that no one plays bach's prelude and fugue in g minor quite like i do. i know that that there are so many different ways to play that one dynamic marking or those sextuplet notes. i know that one person can play a piece like a funeral requiem while another sees it as a happy festival song, and that no two versions are ever alike. not even two stand partners, both under the same conductor and director and instructors, will think of the notes on a page the same way. and that, i think, is beautiful. it makes me feel valid. accepted. special. would you take that away from so many of us young people?

so please, whatever you do, keep the music program. if you must cut something, cut everything equally. don't deny anyone these opportunities. it's the difference between life and death.

well, now you know why i practice so often.

(okay i'm tearing up as i write this i'm just really passionate about this topic because music is literally one of the few reasons i haven't fallen apart and also that part about my friend just gets me every time i think about her because i just love her so much and it's shocking to think that if she didn't happen to hear that piece she would't be here. and since marching season ended my emotional state has been declining which is why i have to join again. just needed to put that out there. i've never shared this part of myself before and this was incredibly hard to sit down and write but i found this old thread and i had to say all this. so now you know i have feelings and you know how to bring them out. congratulations.)

Last edited by meerkat; 04-15-2015 at 02:07 AM. Reason: *cries*
Old 04-15-2015, 12:33 AM

Ahaha okay so I literally did a speech on this in my english class maybe I should just post it here

The [school] interscholastic athletic program serves the mission of the school and the vision for athletics by providing our student-athletes
• A progression from participation to development to high levels of achievement.
• Coaches who are highly effective and committed to engaging in the life of the school.
• Facilities and equipment that attract, serve, and inspire students, coaches, and fans.
• Active promotion and celebration of the program within the school community.

Active promotion and celebration of the program within the school community. That’s the last bullet point of [school]’s athletic program mission statement. In 2011, the school made a commitment to refocus the vision of the athletics program and to invest time, money, and social power into sports at this school. This is a perfect mission statement. Sports are an integral part of adolescent development. Sports teach teamwork, kindness, and healthy competition all while providing students with at least two hours a day of much needed physical activity. I don’t question the importance of sports as a mechanism for social interaction, either. Just ask my eighth grade basketball team. We were tight. Still, I get hung up on that last bullet point. Active promotion and celebration of the program within the school community. What does that mean? It means tailgates. It means a new facility. Nice, new uniforms. Constant talk of athletic achievements by the administration. Special treatment for some varsity athletes when it comes to making up classwork or participating in PE. A school culture and climate revolving around athletics. So, why is this mission statement limited to the athletics program? Why not extend these bullet points to, say, the arts program? Why not make a promise to the athletes of the stage and the pottery wheel to actively promote and celebrate the fruits of their tireless labor? Some of you may be wondering: How are arts as important as sports? And how can they bring the [school] community together?
The first question is an easy one to answer. As teenagers, we are subject to a slurry of emotions and situations that we don’t know how to deal with in any way other than pure expression, which is, essentially art. Art is not only a hobby or a fun activity, it is a necessary medium for the communication of the human experience. Now, I know that sounds incredibly pretentious, and that’s because it is, but really think about it. Being a teenager is messy. Art gives you a sense of control. A sense of order. If [school] could create a culture around art that mirrored the intensity of that around athletics, it would bring us to the second question: how can arts bring the [school] community together? Arts promote an environment of support and openness. Imagine playing in a sports game, looking out into the crowd, and seeing no familiar faces. Nobody’s cheering you on. Nobody even knew you had a game today. Now imagine you’ve been rehearsing for a performance every day for three months. The day comes, and you’re out on stage speaking to a half-filled house or playing flute to empty seats. Imagine you’ve been perfecting this one painting for half of a term, and nobody even knows you’ve done it. This is being in the arts program at [school]. If we could treat arts like we do sports, I guarantee that the whole climate of the school would shift to one that is more receptive to displays of emotion and supports the interests of fellow students.
So how can the school go about actively promoting the arts? One thing would be to accept more art-based service learning. It was recently brought to my attention through meetings with service learning coordinators there has been a precedent set at [school] that portrays arts as not fulfilling a measurable need in the community, whereas at other schools art-based service easily fits this description. [school] is an outlier in this regard. This denial of art as a legitimate way to enrich the lives of others belies a devaluing of the arts within the [school] community. Art is power of expression. Bringing art into a community is bringing that community together, and how can one argue that that’s not service? Art creates critical and creative thinkers. How can one argue that that’s not learning?
Another action that [school] can take would be to make arts showcases more accessible. For sports events, tailgates are right after school. There’s free food, which will convince any [school]-er to stay, even if it’s raining and you don’t like soccer. Arts showcases, instead of being displayed, are tucked away. [school] is not a community-based school, which means that if you want to see that show your friend is in, or if you want to see that photography display, you have to make an effort to come back to the school. For some people, especially those who live in Sammamish or Kirkland or even Woodinville, this is not an option. Arts are inaccessible to those unwilling or unable to return to campus, which is most of the student body.
Sports are essential. Athletics promote teamwork, sportsmanship, compassion, and work ethic. Arts are essential. Arts promote creativity, expression, openness, and acceptance. Two sides of the same coin. Both are important, but only one is being recognized as such. The power and importance of the arts in our community can go unrecognized no longer.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:20 AM

^^^^^^

this is actually really important
like the only reason anyone even knows we have a marching band is because we have to play at sports rallies and stuff even though our football team has a freakishly long losing streak and our band has a freakishly long winning streak at competitions
and i have a best friend in the drama class and she keeps saying how no one ever comes to the productions, and even though she's just stage crew she puts in a whole lot of work and i'm extremely proud of her but no one recognizes that. this same friend is also on the badminton team and that's what more people know her as (bc she's actually really good), even though she puts a lot more of her time into stage crew and she likes it more. and this basically goes for anyone who's involved in the arts around here. for some reason, even though our sports teams all suck (this is coming from a water polo and track person) they still get more recognition than art/music/drama.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:21 AM

i wasnt gonna post my opinion but here i am? i really dont think they should cut music, honestly, it is such an important part of peoples lives (take meera for example!!) and if they cut music in schools across the nations, i know that my life would not be the same. the cello, piano, singing, guitar, AND MORE etc lessons i used to take changed my life, i made friends thru music and i remember that feeling of being just carried away in the music, especially during the cello. oh man. you've got me all emotional!

Tags
lyall_areyel_was_here