Quantcast Ascendance - Nes - Page 5 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home
Old 01-05-2019, 08:53 PM

Default Beck

Of course sleep was not what the universe intended for Beck. It never was. Shortly after he had walked away from the balcony, his mother spotted him. Was he ever going to be able to escape? How much more would he had to endure? He badly needed a friend or someone to bail him out of the uncomfortable situations he continued to fall prey to. He knew he should not be thinking this about his mother, but he could hardly help it after a few other draining encounters, and several more that he knew would be coming or had passed in the days previous.

"Beck, sweetie!" his mother, Astra, sang. Dear gods above, what now? Beck was always a grumpy when he was tired, and tonight was definitely no exception.

"Hi mom," Beck replied, trying not to sound annoyed. Luckily, his mother showed no sign of irritation or disappointment in his tone, so he must sound alright. Beck took a deep breath, thinking of the peace he would hopefully soon receive, and stood up straighter.

"How are you liking the ball so far?" Astra asked.

"It's nice," Beck replied, inwardly sighing. He knew his mom liked her parties just like King Largyen liked his training.

"Oh, come on, Beck, you think I don't know what the word 'nice' really means? What about the party is so upsetting to you? I thought you'd like a ball thrown practically in your honor before you leave to go compete in the famous Struggle," Astra said, looking the tiniest bit put out as she spoke, and Beck instantly felt guilty. He hated making his mom look at him like she expected more from him.

"No, really, mom, it's great but you know I don't like large crowds," Beck tried to assure her.

"I know, sweetie, really you need to learn how to handle yourself in a crowd if you're going to compete in the Struggle," Astra lectured. "You know that you're going to have to talk to other people, gods forbid, and you're going to have to be diplomatic, especially if you win because then you'll be crowned King of Aldsea. And you know if you're king you can't just sit up in your room, or train outside by yourself, or shut yourself in the library all the time. Part of leading is working with others, Beck, and that means that you have to loosen up." Easy for you to say, he thought, annoyed. Of course his annoyance made him feel more guilty.

Please, please, let someone rescue me from what is looking to be a possibly very long lecture on why me being antisocial is bad and how loosening up will fix this very real feeling in my chest, he prayed silently, which was something he hadn't done much.

(This ended up being pretty short, but @Norah, this is a good time for your character Dierdre to come in! :) )

will i ever be more than i've always been

tap, tap, tapping on the glass

Waving through a window
Old 01-05-2019, 09:36 PM

Default Dierdre

In almost incredible timing, a young woman appeared seemingly out of thin air, although she seemed less like a woman and more like a small whirlwind at the moment. Eyes and smile bright, she swept through any passersby to plant herself firmly next to Beck.

“Oh, Beck! And Beck’s mother, too!” She exclaimed, carelessly foregoing the proper titles. “I’ve been looking for you practically all night, Beck, but it’s just so crowded. I had thought you wouldn’t like it. I almost went searching all the other rooms for you!” She laughed and nudged him gently. “I don’t suppose you’d care for a quick dance with a noble woman such as myself? My poor mother would be oh so thrilled.”

Of course, Dierdre didn’t really plan on dragging Beck into a dance. She knew how he felt about the crowds. However, she also knew enough about his mother to recognize that exasperated, I’m-about-to-lecture-you-about-dumb-stuff tone, as she had overheard it a few times before. With any luck, Beck agreeing to go back to dancing would be enough to drive the woman off for a while- Dierdre wasn’t really sure that it would, or that Beck would even understand the ruse and agree to it, but Dierdre could only hope.

She shot Beck’s mother a hopeful, innocent smile, then turned and gave Beck a ridiculous overexaggerated wink. “Well?”

(Sorry it’s short and kind of sucky, I'm a bit busy rn and also wasn’t sure what else to do since I obviously can’t control the other two characters)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:47 PM

Default Beck

Beck wasn't sure what was worse--diving into the thick of the crowd and dancing some more or zoning out while his mom lectured him. But he knew that Dierdre had to have something up her sleeve; he suspected that she wouldn't lead him straight into his least favorite activity, knowing that he hated crowds.

"Oh, yes, that sounds like a great idea!" Astra chirped, smoothing over her regal features to look more upbeat and, if not exactly queenly, quite royal. Beck nearly fainted with relief. Thank the gods!

"It would give me some more time at this lovely party, and I have hardly danced with anyone all evening," Beck added, even though he belatedly realized he didn't have to, seeing as his mom had already agreed. Astra raised an eyebrow. Tone it down, dumbass, or she'll suspect something's up, he told himself.

"You two have fun," Astra replied, as if fun were something he actually had when dancing with noblewomen (or really, anyone for that matter). He nodded, trying to look just the right amount of annoyed and patient to be realistic, and took Dierdre's arm in his.

"Let us go," he said, trying to sound as regal and mature as possible as he made his way to the dance floor, walking past couples until his mom was out of sight. He looked into his friend's eyes, wondering what she had planned. "I'm hoping you weren't actually planning on dancing, no offense. I just had to dance with the worst partner and I'm pretty much done for the night." He smirked--a rare thing when he was surrounded by people. "So what's the plan?"

(Don't worry, it's fine!)

Waving through a window
Old 01-05-2019, 10:11 PM

Default Dierdre

“Ha! As if I would dance with you, Mr. Two Left Feet.” Dierdre joked, despite knowing he really wasn’t that bad. “As for a plan... well, I kind of just swooped in and hoped for the best when I saw that your mother was cornering you. But I did manage to snag some food earlier, and I found a rather nice hidden alcove where we might not be found, if you can’t get back to your room yet.”

She glanced around. “Or, well, we could always stay here. But I doubt you want the crowd or attention and I know that I certainly don’t want to run into that pig, lord Garlen, again.” She wrinkled her nose and grabbed him loosely by the wrist, already steering him away from the dancing. “Three times my age, Beck! And with the snout of farm animal- same manners as one too.”
Old 01-05-2019, 10:27 PM

Default Beck

He laughed. "Hiding sounds nice, as I'm sure someone or other will corner us before we can reach my room," Beck replied with the beginnings of a grin, though to most people he probably looked the same as ever. He was so good at hiding his emotions most of the time that unless he was strongly feeling something, only those who had seen him often or knew him well could notice anything on his face or in his body language (though that was more of a giveaway than his face).

"And Lord Garlen?" Beck made a face. "I think I win in worst dance partner, because mine basically threatened me to my face and, honestly, she needs to some acting lessons because she was sneering at me the entire time." He followed her, not really paying much attention to where they were going as following the conversation and (what was becoming a common pastime of his) overthinking.

Waving through a window
Old 01-05-2019, 10:36 PM

Default Saelia

The grand hall was alive with chaos and confusion as Saelia marched through the room, her heels clacking against the white marble floor. Her posture indicated queenliness, yet her features were limned with a darkness that nobody save her could comprehend. Ultimately, she was in a bout of annoyance that her father possessed the audacity to rule her around and boss her to the ends of the earth. She was the holder of her own fate, not her father. Often, the Lord of the North couldn't keep a handle of himself; truly, his resilience was as thin as a threadbare blanket.

The court's silence reigned almost the instant she came sweeping through those mammoth doors open to the naked eye. The chatter and prattle of conversation ceased as she made deadly eye contact, like venomous snakes or sharpening daggers, with her father before easing over to his throne.

The throne, fashioned like iron ivies and forged from the sharpest of swords and minds, was enough to hold her father's not-so-supple figure, but one lined with cunning and deadly mannerisms. Although the throne was something of a myth, it was naught but brutal truth to Saelia: each day she found him sitting there, watching over Golgaroch and implementing new laws into society that wasn't deemed fit for the nation. Each day she would find him stuffing food into his mouth as if it was the maw of some untamed beast. The Lord of the North was no fit king for the empire, and Saelia had enough reason to believe why.

"Father," she announced, craning her neck to glare right at him. However, as a foolish man would believe, her father did not wish to even birth the concept that Saelia would be mad at him for any reason. His eyes were lined with silver and compromise, a deadly edge brimming. "You requested my presence?"

"Ah yes. Saelia," he began, a snicker burbling from his lips like spilled poison, "I did indeed. The court has been all talk and no fun so far, I regret to inform you. I haven't been able to keep up with the daily gossip, but this one bout of information has led me to believe that the Struggle may be more than just a competition to ensure that you are next in line for the throne of Golgaroch."

"What is it, Father?" she queried, boredom seeping into her bones like rich liquid. Surely he didn't expect her to stand here for such a long duration of time, waiting for him to give out the information he'd deemed so interesting.

Her father's eyebrows knitted. "It has come to my attention that the Struggle will, indeed, be a fight to the death between three competitors. Yes, you will fight using your designated affinities. However, I have found out from one of my men lurking around in the East that their competitor, a royal lad, has some... companionship with transportation. He is able to travel between small distances, but it costs him some."

Teleportation? Saelia's own brows knitted at that. However much she despised her father in that moment for reasons that sometimes even she could not understand, this could be very useful in determining her fate at the Collegium. Perhaps she could win this contest of sorts by strengthening her emotional manipulation, as well as her use of weaponry--swords and its ilk--before fighting to the death.

“Teleportation,” she finally muttered. “I guess that will definitely be helpful, making sure I can win. But how can we know the other competitor’s own affinity? Do we know who they are as a person? Do we know who they can become once they are trained to their fullest extent? We have to know these things before I go to the Collegium and potentially die, Father. I can’t go out there knowing nothing about their political climate, state, neighbouring nations or allies. I have to trust my education and find some time to study these things. I have to. I know I do.”

Her outburst could’ve cost her a slap on the cheek, a blow to the stomach—but she knew that he couldn’t do that, not in front of the court he led his heart to believe was detrimental to this kingdom. This nation.

“You’re right,” her father, the Lord of the damned North, grunted. “As much as I hate to admit it, you have to know these things. You have to know who their people are and if you do, you can then strive for greatness. I do believe in you, Saelia. You know that, yes?”

Did she? All her life, her bones had been coated with the suspicion from her father. It had been with this supple body that she’d found a love for weaponry and fighting. The Lord of the North—who knew he could be such an authoritative figure, and yet be such a parent to her even still?

“I’ll need to,” she sighed. “I have to, if only to win this for my throne in the future.”

(Norah, you can add Bernard now if you want! Saelia's just gonna go to the library to study the East and South kingdoms.)
Sleeping with roaches and
Taking best guesses
At the shade of the sheets and
Before all the stains
Old 01-05-2019, 10:43 PM

Default Dierdre

She led him through a few twists and turn until they were safely hidden away from prying eyes and sat next to the food she had stashed there, scowling. “Threatened you? The nerve! What’s her name, Beck? I swear, I’ll stick toads in her bed!” She huffed, looking ruffled. She offered him some of the food and kicked his ankles slightly- a nonverbal and nonnegotiable command to sit.

“Honestly, some of those women are horrid. Though I suppose I’m not much better myself... oh, what am I saying? I’m not a witch, I’m just a bit mean. Totally different.”
Old 01-05-2019, 10:50 PM

Default Beck

Beck laughed quietly, which was something he hadn't done all day. It definitely felt better, already a weight felt as if it had been lifted from his shoulders. He plopped down next to Dierdre on the ground, glad no one was around to reprimand him.

"Lady Ashira," he replied, making a face. "She claimed that what she said wasn't actually a threat, but like I said, she needs acting lessons. With the way that Aldsea has been faring lately, I can't say I'm surprised by this, though I'm definitely not pleased." He took some food and shoved it in his mouth. "Food tastes so much better when you can eat instead of talk to a bunch of stuffy nobles who are all thinking of ways to kill you in your sleep."

Waving through a window
Old 01-05-2019, 10:58 PM

Default Dierdre

“Ugh, her?” Dierdre scoffed. “She’s lucky she’s pretty; she wouldn’t be able to convince someone a blade of grass was from the South and not the East.” She bumped shoulders with him amicably and stole a piece of the food he was holding despite the rest of the pile being right next to her. She turned to him with a steely, determined look in her eyes. “Really though, you don’t have to worry about them Beck,” She stated firmly, bristling. “I’ll take them all down before they can lay a finger on you.”

It seemed almost laughable, with her tiny frame and unreserved nature- but for once there wasn’t an ounce of humor in her tone.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:08 PM

Default Bernard

As Saelia left the throne room, a man who looked to be around her age, if not a bit younger, caught her eye. He was leaning against the wall nearby was and eyeing her critically, looking as though he was trying to read her in just one glance. His clothes were pristine and expensive, indicating his wealth and standing even before his golden crest did- a symbol of the South, and of royalty.

“So,” he said thoughtfully, pushing up from the wall to approach her, towering tall despite his youth. “you’re the champion?”

Tags
beck can like get it, beck for the win, i love angst, lorelei more like lorebye, luna was here, saelia?? is??? pure????