Quantcast Gray vs. Grey NES - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Never Ending Stories
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2011, 05:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shayok
Default Gray vs. Grey NES

Your typical fiction story consists of a hero vs a villain, the gallant forces of light against the despicable forces of the dark. Throughout the history of human mythology we see this - clearly cut moralities with designated heroes and villains.
We all know, however, that in real life such morality is seldom true.
Humans are a mixed bag. We are the only creatures to kill and harm another of our own species for selfish gain. We are also the only creatures to feel compassion or sympathy for those less fortunate than us. We kill, rape, make war. We give, help, bring peace.
I want to create an NES where all of us are true humans. This is not a story of black vs. white. This is a story of gray vs. grey, where the just leader only got to his position through lies and treachery, where the sociopath wishes only for a better world.
There are only a few rules:
1) Your character MUST be of mixed morality. That means more than a vaguely evil past and an angel now, or vice versa. Everyone has to have substantial amounts of good and evil. As in, your character might lean heavily to one side or another, but even then they are just evil or just good enough to stay away from clear cut morality.
2) You cannot kill another character without their permission.
3) You cannot control another character without their permission.

Setting: Wherever we want it to be. Just a general world, magic is allowed and so are guns. Just don't make your abilities too 'cheap'. They must have their fallacies.

Character Form:
Name:
Gender/Age:
Allegiance:
Appearance:
Personality:
Background:
What Makes Them Good:
What Makes Them Evil:
Leaning More To Which Side?: (good, evil, can be neutral too)

The Allegiance section is if your character has any loyalties. This means that we can create factions that our characters follow/lead in. No one will be the absolute ruler of these factions, however. At the most you can be a top leader, but no one can have supreme power of any faction unless it's very small. This is to keep power levels balanced.
Maximum of 5 factions active at any one time. You can also have allegiance to yourself.

With this NES I hope that we can all better our writing skills, since it's much harder and requires much more creativity and skill to write a grey character than a stark white or black one.
Happy writing.
-Basho Matsuo, Japanese haiku poet
Old 05-12-2011, 05:55 PM

Location: Stalking in the silence; listening to your tortured dreams.

To me it's harder to write a "perfect" character. Anyway I'm gonna join, I just won't be able to add my character right now. Save me a spot!

We lie best when we lie to ourselves. ~ It; Stephen King.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:55 PM

Location: A pirate vessel, a Grecian paradise, a princess castle, a Victorian ball - anywhere romantic!

AMAZING IDEA! Just let me think of a character.
[Smiles, kisses Will, dramatic music, HAPPILY EVER AFTER (until they have to save the day again)!!!]

With inky love, Rose <3

CLICK HERE CLICK HERE CLICK HERE CLICK HERE
Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 PM

GREAT idea! Can you save me a spot?

Anyone can get you through the door, but it's up to you whether or not you stay in the room. - I have no idea where this is from or if that's the right wording. If you know, tell me!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:33 PM

There's no maximum amount of characters. And besides, I can't do anything without characters so join as soon as possible please. =)
Old 05-12-2011, 09:39 PM

Definitely joining this! Great to have you back, Shayok!
"Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months. And then, one not-so-very special day, I went to my typewriter, I sat down, and I wrote our story. A story about a time, a story about a place, a story about the people. But above all things, a story about love. A love that will live forever. The End." ~Moulin Rouge

R.C. + H.M. + D.R. Forever!!!!
The game.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 PM

Location: In fourth year at Hogwarts, going on epic adventures at night with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

This sounds freaking awesome!! I'm definitely in.

Name: Delaynie Capri

Gender/Age: Female, 18

Allegiance: Feels strongly about preventing war, even though she's tough and is very trained in fighting.

Appearance: Chin-length black layered hair. Dark eyes. Tan skin. Thin, but very muscular.

Personality: Quiet, thoughtful, intelligent, wise, a leader, strong-willed.

Background: Her parents threw her out when she was 16 because she went against their will and went to a party they told her not to go to. She has been on her own for two years. In those two years, she has gotten help from strangers. She became exceedingly lucky, because she has room and board, even though it's a small, dirty apartment. The apartment owner let her stay as long as she didn't cause trouble. She's tried to find work, but instead, luckily, got an internship with a local Karate academy. That is where she has learned her toughness and fighting skills.

What Makes Them Good: Her will to fight and push on, and all the people who have helped her make her feel strong.

What Makes Them Evil: The fact her parents practically deserted her, and no one in the world really loves her.

Leaning More To Which Side?: (good, evil, can be neutral too): A tiny bit toward the evil side. But she isn't really EVIL. Just strong-willed, tough, and a bit misunderstands what love is.

I can't wait to start this!! This is awesome!!

be L oyal O bedient V irtuous E ncouraging

Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."

MUSIC can . . .
Give you hope . . .
Make you believe . . .
Heal your heart . . .
Touch your soul . . .
And never leave your mind . . .
~ Mallori Sparke
Old 05-12-2011, 10:20 PM

I wanna join too!

Psst....Read Ascending. It's in my track.
and the best part? It's by my best friend, Rose.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 PM

*It's also good to see you again!! *

Psst....Read Ascending. It's in my track.
and the best part? It's by my best friend, Rose.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 PM

Hmm...a bit of a modest response, just in terms of actual character creation. Could we all have our characters done within the next day or two? I'd like to start this quickly. And a few organizations, too.
Well, it's okay if it's a small group. Easier to follow, less people dropping out. And speaking of which...

Every five-ten (which one?) pages or so we'll post a summary of what happened so far. That way if anyone wants to join they don't have to read everything, or if someone can't get on the PC for a while they can catch up quickly.

Thank you for all the welcoming back. It's good to be back, aha. =D