Quantcast Showerthoughts - Page 10 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Free advice
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 12-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Garrett Garrett is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: high by the beach
Posts: 1,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaku View Post
Why do we generally sneeze a certain number of sneezes in a row generally? (Twos, threes, there's some sort of identifiable pattern usually. Personally it's mostly twos unless I'm having a sneezing fit /horrid allergies this morning)
it's 2s for me.
i guess it's the same reason that some of us are left handed and some of us are right handed.
__________________
you don't need anyone else to be happy
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 12-06-2016, 12:56 AM
july3girl july3girl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: In a computer doing mountains of homework
Posts: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_Write View Post
okay so i know im probably 100% off and I know nothing about the human brain and eveything and there's probably a logical explanation but
i like to think of minds as computers, sort of? and sometimes, if a "file" hasn't been opened in a while, it'll eventually automatically delete. or if it wasn't saved correctly, it's gone. you won't be able to find it.
and you know how sometimes youre just doing something and you have a random memory from a long time ago? like all of the sudden youre just like "oh. wow. i completely forgot that person even existed." or whatever?
it would be sorta like we're always searching through all of our files. if you get the right key words, it'll bring up memories or emotions, etc.
you know what I mean?
i'd be shocked if that was anywhere close to the truth but
that's just kinda how i imagine it idk
yeah, that makes sense. but like why would we even have that setting where our files are deleted? why have we evolved that way? squirrels lose their memories to help plant trees. why do we? every way i look at it, it just seems unhelpful. i don't understand why, as humans, that's an important part of our living.
__________________
death doesn't discriminate
between the sinners and the saints

it takes and it takes and it takes
-leslie odom jr and lin manuel miranda, "wait for it," hamilton
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 12-18-2016, 10:07 PM
Zelda Zelda is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: spaceship
Posts: 969
Default

i'm. living. in. a. box. and. i. want. out.

EDIT: ignore this please. Depersonalized Re shouldn't be allowed near a computer :/
__________________
Little boy inside my chest
Breathe some life into my bones
I've been lost and wandering
Down and out and missing home


(So beat a little louder now
I can't hear you anymore)
-Barns Courntey

Last edited by Zelda; 12-19-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 12-20-2016, 02:06 AM
Steampunk Steampunk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,488
Default

Hey so does anyone else ever wake up in rage mode and high key want to fight everyone all day? Or is that just me??
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 12-20-2016, 03:01 AM
july3girl july3girl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: In a computer doing mountains of homework
Posts: 790
Default

guys it's been like a week and i still have no answer as to why we forget things. wHAT IS THE PURPOSE??!!?!
__________________
death doesn't discriminate
between the sinners and the saints

it takes and it takes and it takes
-leslie odom jr and lin manuel miranda, "wait for it," hamilton
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 12-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Steampunk Steampunk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by july3girl View Post
guys it's been like a week and i still have no answer as to why we forget things. wHAT IS THE PURPOSE??!!?!
When you form a memory it is stored in your long term memory or short term memory. If it's in short term memory the most common reason we forget things is when they "decay," which is when you don't 'rehearse' or contemplate it. When memories decay they are thought to fade away over time.
Displacement- when one memory is simply replaced with a new
Interference- often when you are trying to remember something you sometimes use certain things to remind yourself. But when you form new memories sometimes those memories or thoughts you used for the old memory may be redirected to the new, therefore making it harder to remember the old memory or it may simply distort the older memory
Long term memory
Long term is supposedly limitless in its capacity. However, we can still 'forget' things in long term memory, usually through decay or interference.
But it still remains unclear whether or not we actually 'forget' memories. Many people theorize that those long forgotten memories are still there, they're just so far back that we can longer reach them. Some evidence of this theory is hypnosis. When in hypnosis a person can recall memories that they didn't even know existed. So why should other memories be any different? Maybe we never really "forget" things at all.
As for the purpose that it serves... Well that's a bit simpler. Forgetting serves no evolutionary purpose. It in no way helped the human race survive, in fact it may have even harmed us a few times. So as far as I'm aware it serves no real purpose other than to make room for newer memories. After all, if we stayed hyper aware of every detail of every memory from every moment of our life imagine how cluttered our thoughts would be. Then you really wouldn't be able to remember anything. There'd just be too much to sort through!
So maybe forgetting (or just pushing the memories to the very back of your mind if you believe that we never truly forget anything) is the brain's way of opening new doors for us, to allow us to grow and learn. Our brain does its best to filter through what it thinks is no longer useful to make space for us to continue living and evolving.
Sorry if I got anything wrong, but I hope that was useful to you and at least partially answered your question.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 12-20-2016, 06:46 PM
july3girl july3girl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: In a computer doing mountains of homework
Posts: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steampunk View Post
When you form a memory it is stored in your long term memory or short term memory. If it's in short term memory the most common reason we forget things is when they "decay," which is when you don't 'rehearse' or contemplate it. When memories decay they are thought to fade away over time.
Displacement- when one memory is simply replaced with a new
Interference- often when you are trying to remember something you sometimes use certain things to remind yourself. But when you form new memories sometimes those memories or thoughts you used for the old memory may be redirected to the new, therefore making it harder to remember the old memory or it may simply distort the older memory
Long term memory
Long term is supposedly limitless in its capacity. However, we can still 'forget' things in long term memory, usually through decay or interference.
But it still remains unclear whether or not we actually 'forget' memories. Many people theorize that those long forgotten memories are still there, they're just so far back that we can longer reach them. Some evidence of this theory is hypnosis. When in hypnosis a person can recall memories that they didn't even know existed. So why should other memories be any different? Maybe we never really "forget" things at all.
As for the purpose that it serves... Well that's a bit simpler. Forgetting serves no evolutionary purpose. It in no way helped the human race survive, in fact it may have even harmed us a few times. So as far as I'm aware it serves no real purpose other than to make room for newer memories. After all, if we stayed hyper aware of every detail of every memory from every moment of our life imagine how cluttered our thoughts would be. Then you really wouldn't be able to remember anything. There'd just be too much to sort through!
So maybe forgetting (or just pushing the memories to the very back of your mind if you believe that we never truly forget anything) is the brain's way of opening new doors for us, to allow us to grow and learn. Our brain does its best to filter through what it thinks is no longer useful to make space for us to continue living and evolving.
Sorry if I got anything wrong, but I hope that was useful to you and at least partially answered your question.
this was very informative. thank you.

my line of thought was sort of based off of squirrels? 'cause the reason squirrels have such horrible memories is so that they'll hide seeds in the snow/dirt/ground to eat later and then forget where they buried it, thus planting a tree. there's a REASON.

idk. the brain expands in right? so maybe you don't really need to get rid of anything. i honestly don't even know what i'm thinking. we humans are screwed up.
__________________
death doesn't discriminate
between the sinners and the saints

it takes and it takes and it takes
-leslie odom jr and lin manuel miranda, "wait for it," hamilton
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 01-11-2017, 11:33 PM
july3girl july3girl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: In a computer doing mountains of homework
Posts: 790
Default

can we revive this please??

ok so this is random but the difference between like 'in love' and 'love?' like i feel like 'in love' is more detached. everyone is always like "i think i'm in love with you" but no one ever says "i think i love you." "in love" is like the prinplup of love. there are more stages to go, more challenges to face before you become whatever the evolved version of prinplup is. (i honestly don't know i just remember him from messing around with pokemon as a kid)

you can see an owl's eye through it's ear.

what would you say to everyone you knew if each individual conversation with them was going to be your last conversation with that person? what would you confess?
__________________
death doesn't discriminate
between the sinners and the saints

it takes and it takes and it takes
-leslie odom jr and lin manuel miranda, "wait for it," hamilton
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 01-12-2017, 02:52 AM
Read_Write Read_Write is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: prythian
Posts: 1,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by july3girl View Post
can we revive this please??

ok so this is random but the difference between like 'in love' and 'love?' like i feel like 'in love' is more detached. everyone is always like "i think i'm in love with you" but no one ever says "i think i love you." "in love" is like the prinplup of love. there are more stages to go, more challenges to face before you become whatever the evolved version of prinplup is. (i honestly don't know i just remember him from messing around with pokemon as a kid)

you can see an owl's eye through it's ear.

what would you say to everyone you knew if each individual conversation with them was going to be your last conversation with that person? what would you confess?
actually i kinda see it opposite. i feel like "in love" has more meaning because i feel like it has more commitment. like it's a choice... i guess i just associate "in love" with romantic relationships and personally i feel like they're stronger... through sickness and through health, right?
and just "love" is more for your family. i love my sister, but tbh guys if she wasn't family i would hate her with every fiber of my being.
but idk thats just my opinion...

for my last conversations with everybody... I'd probably tell them all my favorite memory with them and be super nice so either they'd remember me with like a happy memory or vice versa...
I'd definitely tell my crush how I feel lol
And my parents... hmm idk. I wouldn't want to confess anything, so I guess just same as everybody else (sorry parents)
idk it'd probably be really lame tbh
__________________
is it summer yet
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 01-12-2017, 11:32 AM
SilverMoon SilverMoon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: the feds will never find me
Posts: 11,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_Write View Post
actually i kinda see it opposite. i feel like "in love" has more meaning because i feel like it has more commitment. like it's a choice... i guess i just associate "in love" with romantic relationships and personally i feel like they're stronger... through sickness and through health, right?
and just "love" is more for your family. i love my sister, but tbh guys if she wasn't family i would hate her with every fiber of my being.
but idk thats just my opinion...

for my last conversations with everybody... I'd probably tell them all my favorite memory with them and be super nice so either they'd remember me with like a happy memory or vice versa...
I'd definitely tell my crush how I feel lol
And my parents... hmm idk. I wouldn't want to confess anything, so I guess just same as everybody else (sorry parents)
idk it'd probably be really lame tbh
lmao alloromantics
I've said "I love you" on occasion, to my family and like. to Sravani and Jill (but just in the form of "ily <33" lmao)
i don't know what "in love" is. i don't understand the difference between romantic and platonic either lmao.
but "I love you" isn't the most important thing to me. it's other, more personal phrases, and actions.
__________________
trails of f i r e
you always knew
they would carry me home
they'd lead me to y o u
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brains named themselves, iwasntsingingintheshower, justdontjudgeokaythanks, kwazy_k was here, luna was here, neo nazis suck ass, no swearing, nooo school, pepsi retro, protest, random thoughts, sexuality=\_(ツ)_/, shitposting, yes swearing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.