Quantcast book recommendations - please. - Page 2 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Books and Such > Book Clubs
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostblaze View Post
um u ok? it's my parents dude pls chill out???? i didn't ask for attitude do you have a problem????? you have the right to say whatever you want okay???? did i do something to offend you or????

but i'll check them out for sure, thank you.
weren't u the one who did the "why cursing on kidpub should stop" post
(that i didnt reply to because i would have been rude)

i have so many problems and no chill just in general but \_(ツ)_/
even if i like you i'll probably be salty @ u so \_(ツ)_/
Old 08-23-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarabellaGrace View Post
oh dang i was gonna recommend miss peregrine's and lunar chronicles c: those books are so good!

maybe you could read the new harry potter, if you haven't already? i haven't gotten to it yet but i've heard good things, it would be fun to check out i'm sure x)
gah, aren't they? i ordered the cursed child a few days ago! it looks really good - i'm going to finish the deathly hallows and then get on that one, but thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_Write View Post
Hmm... it's not exactly like the other books you listed (well, actually... sort of), but The Naturals is a really good book. And the sequel.
So if you haven't read that, I would definitely recommend it.
what's it about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
Maybe Graceling and Bitterblue would be good books, although they might have some sexual content?? But it's not relevant to the plot so if there is any just skip it. But they're like giant mystery/adventure books
i'll look into them c:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
the study series by maria v. snyder!!! altho idk exactly how that works w the stuff you're not allowed to read..but give it a shot? the plot is stunning and the writing is gorgeous u won't regret it
i'll look it up on a website or something - they already sound really good! thank you, granny!

Quote:
Oh and there's also Navigating Early which is really good but doesn't exactly fit with your criteria. Don't worry though, no swearing or anything sexual.
i'll look it up when i get a chance! thank you C:

Quote:
Ender's Game and Speaker For The Dead are amazing sci-fi books if you haven't read those already
OH OH i've heard of ender's game! what's speaker for the dead about?
Old 08-23-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
weren't u the one who did the "why cursing on kidpub should stop" post
(that i didnt reply to because i would have been rude)

i have so many problems and no chill just in general but \_(ツ)_/
even if i like you i'll probably be salty @ u so \_(ツ)_/
well yes and i'll def admit that whole "intelligence is relevant to cursing" thing was a product of my grandmother, and my opinion's changed bc i read something about sooper smart people having a tendency to curse a lot but idk so you could like,,,idk benefit from moving on...go figure
Old 08-23-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
what's it about?
murder. the fbi. the works. :P
it's really good. the main character is a profiler, and she's recruited by the fbi. actually, if I try to explain it I'll probably end up giving something away, so here's the synopsis:

Cassie Hobbes is not like most teenagers.

Most teenagers don't lose their mother in a bloody, unsolved murder.

Most teenagers can't tell who you are, where you're from and how you're likely to behave within moments of meeting you.

And most teenagers don't get chosen to join The Naturals.

Identified by the FBI as uniquely gifted, Cassie is recruited to an elite school where a small number of teens are trained to hone their exceptional abilites.

For Cassie, trying to make friends with the girls, and to figure out the two very different, very hot boys, is challenging enough.

But when a new serial killer strikes and Cassie is drawn into a lethal game of cat and mouse, she realises just how dangerous life in The Naturals could be.

Last edited by Read_Write; 08-23-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
well yes and i'll def admit that whole "intelligence is relevant to cursing" thing was a product of my grandmother, and my opinion's changed bc i read something about sooper smart people having a tendency to curse a lot but idk so you could like,,,idk benefit from moving on...go figure
ooh wow I might be rude and terrible but idk you could like,,,idk benefit from being less pretentious...go figure. in general. not even about cursing. I'm just gonna be honest and say I don't like you because it feels better for me than keeping it in. but don't take it personally. after all, hate requires some form of caring and is a term far too strong for this situation. I merely dislike you (don't even reply that u don't like me. hon I kno. everyone dislikes me. I'm aware)
Old 08-23-2016, 08:05 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
ooh wow I might be rude and terrible but idk you could like,,,idk benefit from being less pretentious...go figure. in general. not even about cursing. I'm just gonna be honest and say I don't like you because it feels better for me than keeping it in. but don't take it personally. after all, hate requires some form of caring and is a term far too strong for this situation. I merely dislike you (don't even reply that u don't like me. hon I kno. everyone dislikes me. I'm aware)
why is this so toxic jfc

Anyways I recommend --
Everyday by David Levithan
More Than This by Patrick Ness
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger

These are some of my favorite young adult books and they're pretty clean in terms of language and stuff :p
Old 08-23-2016, 08:56 PM

Speaker For The Dead is pretty much a sequel to Ender's Game, where there's a new planet with life on it and people are investigating, and Ender is in it, but I really can't say any more because there are spoilers for Ender's Game, but it's very good and interesting.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
why is this so toxic jfc

Anyways I recommend --

These are some of my favorite young adult books and they're pretty clean in terms of language and stuff
because I'm always toxic? when I was a newbie I wasn't like this but back then I was just stupid. now I'm still not smart lol but I am toxicity now
Ik u dislike me personally and I understand
I dislike a lot of things and I don't care abt holding my tongue anymore tbh
I'm probably the most toxic person on this site tbh but I tried to leave and I failed so
also I'm an attention whore so I want to post my writing or sth
idk
but also I def agree with ur recommendations~
Old 08-23-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_Write View Post
murder. the fbi. the works. :P
it's really good. the main character is a profiler, and she's recruited by the fbi. actually, if I try to explain it I'll probably end up giving something away, so here's the synopsis:

Cassie Hobbes is not like most teenagers.

Most teenagers don't lose their mother in a bloody, unsolved murder.

Most teenagers can't tell who you are, where you're from and how you're likely to behave within moments of meeting you.

And most teenagers don't get chosen to join The Naturals.

Identified by the FBI as uniquely gifted, Cassie is recruited to an elite school where a small number of teens are trained to hone their exceptional abilites.

For Cassie, trying to make friends with the girls, and to figure out the two very different, very hot boys, is challenging enough.

But when a new serial killer strikes and Cassie is drawn into a lethal game of cat and mouse, she realises just how dangerous life in The Naturals could be.
oooh this sounds good, i'll check it out c:

Quote:
Speaker For The Dead is pretty much a sequel to Ender's Game, where there's a new planet with life on it and people are investigating, and Ender is in it, but I really can't say any more because there are spoilers for Ender's Game, but it's very good and interesting.
ah, gotcha cx i'm definitely going to check that out at the library.

Quote:
why is this so toxic jfc

Anyways I recommend --

These are some of my favorite young adult books and they're pretty clean in terms of language and stuff
mmmbaby can't you see.... imsorryihadtookayimsodeepinphantrash

anyway i've always had this weird vibe that you have gr8 book taste so i'll look them up c:
Old 08-24-2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
why is this so toxic jfc

Anyways I recommend --

DUDE EVERYDAY IS SO GOOD. LIKE REALLY, REALLY GOOD.

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne
-- idk maybe you've heard of the studio ghibli movie of this? i haven't seen it but i hear it's super good. the book has no innuendo and i don't think any cussing, and it is fantabulous. it's about a girl who is destined to fail if she ever leaves home to seek a fortune, and then she gets on the wrong side of a witch, who transforms her into an old woman. her only chance of turning back into a girl lies in a wizard named Howl, who, you guessed it, lives in a moving castle. this is just a fantastic book and i highly recommend it.

The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann
-- so this is a series that i read but then forgot about for several years but i hear it's still good. i read the first three books but there might be like 7 out now. so the premise is this: it's a dystopian world, where kids are sorted into different ranks once they are 12 or 13. basically, all forms of art are strictly forbidden and kids who have strong amounts of creativity and/or defy the government are Unwanted. the main character is an Unwanted, and he is sent off to a death farm to die, except it's not a death farm that he's sent to. there is a mystical world called Artime, where Unwanteds are trained to use their creativity and the magic that comes with it.

My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand, and Jodi Meadows
-- my favorite stand alone, my lady jane is a new ya book that came out last spring, and it's about Lady Jane Grey, who was allegedly queen of england for nine days. it's very VERY loosely based off of this, however, as there is quite a bit of magic involved. in the book, lady jane is 16 and about to be married off to a man she's never met, a man who has a magical secret. she is caught up in a plot to kill her cousin, young king edward, and a lot of other things happen but basically you should just read the book. it's SO SO SO GOOD and funny and witty.

A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis
-- this one is a bit darker. the main character, grace, is pregnant and is put into an insane asylum until she gives birth, so that her father, a senator, will be protected from scandal. at the asylum the patients are mistreated, and grace takes a vow of silence, hiding in the depths of her mind so that maybe she won't go insane from this horrible place. until one day, she breaks, she screams, and she loses her child. she dreads going back to her father after what he did to her, but knows she won't survive in the asylum. and then a doctor come with an offer she can't refuse; work for him, help him solve murders, and he'll sneak her out of the asylum. this is a pretty dark book, but i it goes along with your restrictions. however, there is a scene where grace has a conversation with three prostitutes, and STIs are mentioned, but other than that i think it holds to your criteria. this book is beautifully written, and talks about and brushes on so many important topics, like rape, mental illness, women's rights in the early 1900s, suicide, and a few more. it's a great book.

These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnely
--this one is similar to a madness so discreet, as it also is about a young blue blooded girl who investigates murders in the late 1800s-early 1900s. Jo wants to be a journalist, but this is not an option for a girl in her day and age. Even so, she has a knack for figuring things out, as well as a burning curiosity. one day her father is found dead in his study: he accidentally shot himself while cleaning a rifle, but something doesn't seem right, as Jo knows her father is too smart to clean a loaded pistol. she's led to a young reporter, who begrudgingly agrees to help her. this book is significantly less dark then a madness so discreet, and it contains a bit of romance (adorable romance.) and awesome female badassery.

hope this helped!

it takes and it takes and it takes
-leslie odom jr and lin manuel miranda, "wait for it," hamilton

Tags
book recommendations, books, pls help