Quantcast Classics - Page 2 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Books and Such > Book Clubs
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2015, 08:59 PM

Les Miserables. It is so good it will dig up everything you thought you knew about the world, stick it in a frying pan, and pepper and salt, and a whole bunch of crazy new information, plus, and extra dose of rebellion, then shove it back in your skull. It's that intense.
Remember your life
Old 09-13-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graystorm View Post
Les Miserables. It is so good it will dig up everything you thought you knew about the world, stick it in a frying pan, and pepper and salt, and a whole bunch of crazy new information, plus, and extra dose of rebellion, then shove it back in your skull. It's that intense.
THIS. just this. i agree 10000%
Old 09-13-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graystorm View Post
i've seen the movie and I want to see the musical live (preferably on Broadway but we all know that will never happen)
I don't get intimidated easily, but Les Miserables intimidates the heck out of me. It's jus to thick, and not to mention the font size is the tiniest thing ever.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
i've seen the movie and I want to see the musical live (preferably on Broadway but we all know that will never happen)
I don't get intimidated easily, but Les Miserables intimidates the heck out of me. It's jus to thick, and not to mention the font size is the tiniest thing ever.

Okay so being both a theatre and Les Miserables geek, it hurts to also say that I am very intimidated by the novel.. although it is on my bucket list to read and finish some day. As well as Phantom of the Opera.

(finding neverland)
Old 09-14-2015, 04:08 AM

Location: honestly I can't even think of a witty answer anymore this is tragic

CATCH-22
Favourite book ever. It's a modern classic and one of the funniest books I've ever read, and amazing satire of war. AAAAAND IT GETS TRAGIC AF BUT NEVER STOPS BEING FUNNY. I love it.
The wit, the lack of chronology, the random time jumps, and Yossarian's craziness vs military insanity. It's actually amazing. Just look at the quotes about it, it was so iconic it coined a term, a catch-22 situation.

You've got things like 'He was going to live forever, or die in the attempt',

'There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.'

You've got Chief White Halfoat, who wherever he goes, oil is found. Colonel Cathcart who's obsessed with getting into the papers. Yossarian who falls in love with everyone (except the people who are trying to kill him). A guy called Major Major Major who BECOMES A MAJOR. Havermeyer, Appleby, Clevinger, Orr. Nately. Milo Minderbinder. There's so many good characters.

And it's heartbreaking, sometimes. I love it. It broke me, let me tell you. I've read it five times. It's difficult to read because it's not in chronological order, it's chaotic and insane, and that's the whole damn point.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
Okay so being both a theatre and Les Miserables geek, it hurts to also say that I am very intimidated by the novel.. although it is on my bucket list to read and finish some day. As well as Phantom of the Opera.
wut wut wut. Phantom of the Opera is a book...how did I not know this?

MY LIFE IS COMPLETE
Old 09-14-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
abridged version
Old 09-14-2015, 07:32 PM

Location: honestly I can't even think of a witty answer anymore this is tragic

My re-read of Catch-22 IS KILLING ME DEAR LORD YOSSARIAN NO MY CHILD
Old 09-14-2015, 08:06 PM

I saw that rebecca had replied to this thread and I was like yup catch 22

I am never wrong. B)

and I'll use you as a
w a r n i n g
s i g n
that if you talk enough sense, then you'll lose your mind

- I Found, by Amber Run
Old 09-14-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
THIS. just this. i agree 10000%
yep. I'm not done with it, but it's still the best book I've ever read. I've watched the movie, and I long to see the play. . .
Remember your life