Quantcast comic books/graphic novels hell to the yeah - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Books and Such > Book Clubs
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2015, 07:41 PM

Location: honestly I can't even think of a witty answer anymore this is tragic
Default comic books/graphic novels hell to the yeah

DC, Marvel, other, whatever. We probably have a thing for this but it wasn't made by me and as we all know, I'm a gift. This is sarcastic by the way, I'm not actually this arrogant, in fact I have vast anxiety issues and insecurity but none of us are perfect (except me)

Anyway, away from the topic of me for one moment, I'd like to talk about comic books, that underrated medium everyone likes to talk dirt about. We can have the comic book/graphic novel debate, sure, whatever. But we need somewhere to discuss comic books.

Like dear lord Deadpool. Or the Civil War arc, or pretty much anything featuring my trashchild John Constantine. Or the soul-destroying Sandman series, by favourite writer of mine Neil freaking Gaiman. Look, the point is, they are a valuable medium, it's not just redundant, there's some great stuff. Sandman actually made me cry.

I NEVER CRY AT ANYTHING. I WAS IN TEARS. IT WAS JUST NO. NO. NO.

What with all the comic book adaptations coming out lately (SANDMAN IS IN PROGRESS I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A DRILL) we've got plenty to chat about. I mean like from more recent stuff to the classics, younger readers to omfg Hellblazer which we should not talk about on KP because wow wow I mean wow.

Has anyone read the Wicked and the Divine because I'm just getting into that so down for it. I'm kinda working on my own scripts for stuff but SSH CAN'T PROMISE ANYTHING.

So yeah. Hey guys. Comic books, anyone?

Last edited by rebecca; 09-14-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:41 PM

I haven't read that many comics, but I've been reading a lot of webcomics. My favorite one right now is Stand Still. Stay Silent. ^u^

And I'd really like to get into reading more comics, but I have no idea where to start. Any recommendations?
finally
free

or is this
just a prettier
cage?
Old 09-15-2015, 01:41 AM

AMULET BOOK SERIES RIGHT

i
Sleeping with roaches and
Taking best guesses
At the shade of the sheets and
Before all the stains
Old 09-15-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrybomb View Post
I haven't read that many comics, but I've been reading a lot of webcomics. My favorite one right now is Stand Still. Stay Silent. ^u^

And I'd really like to get into reading more comics, but I have no idea where to start. Any recommendations?
SANDMANSANDMANSANDMANSANDMAN it's a bit mature and some of the art has dated a little but UGH SANDMAN also MORPHEUS HAS SO MUCH CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT HE'S AWESOME LIKE HE CAN BE SHITTY BUT HE DEVELOPS
Anything with Deadpool in.

Ooh, read the Wicked and the Divine though. It's rlly cool, about normal people who become gods, live for six more years then die. I've only just started it but it's cool.

I'm more into magical comics than superhero stuff but ugh I love them. Constantine: The Hellblazer is a good limited series, it's got a short 12 (???idk) issue run. It's certainly easier to get into than Hellblazer which is 300 issues and began in the 80s. CTH started THIS YEAR and is awesome. John Constantine is my trashchild.

But yeah, I'm new to comics too. OOH, WEBCOMICS. HAS ANYONE READ WIDDERSHINS STEAMPUNK VICTORIAN STUFF WITH BADASS FEMALE DETECTIVES AND DEMONS OH AND THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi View Post
amulet Book Series Right

I
What Be That, Amigo?
Old 09-15-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca View Post
What Be That, Amigo?
it's this series of graphic novels by the amazing Kazu Kabuishi

and since you're a comic expert, are there any comics that I should catch up on and start reading as they come out? Because I've really been interested in doing that but I just haven't...
Old 09-15-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
it's this series of graphic novels by the amazing Kazu Kabuishi

and since you're a comic expert, are there any comics that I should catch up on and start reading as they come out? Because I've really been interested in doing that but I just haven't...
Heheheh I am by no means a comic expert. Like I said, Constantine: The Hellblazer is freaking awesome. ALSO DID I MENTION SANDMAN MORE LIKE SADMAN THE TEARS ARE REAL

I recommend the Civil War arc of Avengers, which I have read. With Captain America 3 coming out soon, this arc is being loosely adapted.

I'd have a look at some of the Daredevil stuff. From what I know, Daredevil Noir is a NOIR AU OF TRADITIONAL DAREDEVIL. The Marvel Noir-verse is interesting, there's even a noir Wolverine. X-Men Noir is one where NONE OF THEM HAVE POWERS.

I recommend, personally, picking a character and researching their history, choosing a place to start with. Deadpool is obviously class stuff, HAWKEYE VS DEADPOOL (Hawkeye is deaf in the comics too). Spider-Man has so many AUs, you could read the Ultimate Spider-Man with Miles Morales, who's hispanic I think. There's basically infinite spin-offs and reworkings, where you start is honestly up to you an what you're interested in.

Like I also said, the Wicked and the Divine is pretty good. If you like more mythical stuff, that's great.

I also read the first issue or so of Cemetery Girl which is an intriguing thriller, I'd have to see where it goes idk if I'm going to stick with it.

Last edited by rebecca; 09-15-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca View Post
SANDMANSANDMANSANDMANSANDMAN it's a bit mature and some of the art has dated a little but UGH SANDMAN also MORPHEUS HAS SO MUCH CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT HE'S AWESOME LIKE HE CAN BE SHITTY BUT HE DEVELOPS
Anything with Deadpool in.

Ooh, read the Wicked and the Divine though. It's rlly cool, about normal people who become gods, live for six more years then die. I've only just started it but it's cool.

I'm more into magical comics than superhero stuff but ugh I love them. Constantine: The Hellblazer is a good limited series, it's got a short 12 (???idk) issue run. It's certainly easier to get into than Hellblazer which is 300 issues and began in the 80s. CTH started THIS YEAR and is awesome. John Constantine is my trashchild.

But yeah, I'm new to comics too. OOH, WEBCOMICS. HAS ANYONE READ WIDDERSHINS STEAMPUNK VICTORIAN STUFF WITH BADASS FEMALE DETECTIVES AND DEMONS OH AND THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS.
THANKS!! Seriously. I've wanted to dive into reading more comics, but there are so many it's a little intimidating not know where to start...I'll definitely check some of these out! :D (deadpool yaas)

hmmMM I feel like I've heard of it, but I don't think I've read it before. I'll look it up later today. But I love webcomics SO MUCH GOSH.

Besides SSSS, A Redtail's Dream is another amazing one (the art is a bit outdated in the beginning but it was the author's 'practice comic'---and yet it's still one of my favorites) and it's all right for younger readers if anyone else in interested, umm I like Carciphona (it's more of a manga tho), Ava's Demon is boss, and I used to read Off-white because it had wOLVES IN IT and stuff but I haven't checked on it for a while so
finally
free

or is this
just a prettier
cage?
Old 09-15-2015, 06:08 PM

I'd love to read the Saga series!
Sleeping with roaches and
Taking best guesses
At the shade of the sheets and
Before all the stains
Old 09-15-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrybomb View Post
THANKS!! Seriously. I've wanted to dive into reading more comics, but there are so many it's a little intimidating not know where to start...I'll definitely check some of these out! (deadpool yaas)

hmmMM I feel like I've heard of it, but I don't think I've read it before. I'll look it up later today. But I love webcomics SO MUCH GOSH.

Besides SSSS, A Redtail's Dream is another amazing one (the art is a bit outdated in the beginning but it was the author's 'practice comic'---and yet it's still one of my favorites) and it's all right for younger readers if anyone else in interested, umm I like Carciphona (it's more of a manga tho), Ava's Demon is boss, and I used to read Off-white because it had wOLVES IN IT and stuff but I haven't checked on it for a while so
I'm currently reading Alias, a Marvel one that's getting a Netflix series before the miniseries The Defenders comes out. It's about a former superhero called Jessica Jones who becomes a private detective, but there's some traumatic stuff later on so idk if you'd want to read it. BUT it has a badass female superhero who's flawed and has depth and stuff. Also cameos from Matt Murdock (Daredevil). The art style is meh but whatevs.

I shall check out your recommendations. I'm so behind on Widdershins I'm probably going to start again tbh, I sort of got lost in an arc involving a guy who sees spirits and Jealousy. There's this family of badass women stretching through time and it jumps from steampunky to modern day. Really cool stuff.

Also I need Sandman Overture for one reason, that being, this freaking art

And the cover for issue 1:

Last edited by rebecca; 09-15-2015 at 06:15 PM.