Quantcast The Rant About What you're Writing Thread. - Page 57 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Story Ideas
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
I cant find characters that I really like so I'm never motivated to do anything and I hate this lmao
aw man, that sucks :u

Have you ever tried online roleplaying (like the NES's here on w/b)? Sometimes created characters and just playing with them can lead to loads of inspiration.

Light On, David Cook
Old 08-21-2017, 12:29 PM

there's no way to avoid giving Panda pronouns and that frustrates me so much.

Light On, David Cook
Old 10-01-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
you can avoid it but it's weird as heck

for short amounts of time you can make it work but after about five paragraphs you are required to reveal a pronoun or die

edit: I relate because I was writing a kp story once and out of respect to a certain character's sensibilities I tried to avoid pronouns and it was so hard

Child of God."

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Hey, guys! Great news!

We're not doomed!

As a matter of fact, we're saved.

(Christianity FTW )
Old 10-01-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
im good at avoiding pronouns what kinda problem u havin
Old 10-20-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracithe1andonly View Post
you can avoid it but it's weird as heck

for short amounts of time you can make it work but after about five paragraphs you are required to reveal a pronoun or die

edit: I relate because I was writing a kp story once and out of respect to a certain character's sensibilities I tried to avoid pronouns and it was so hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
im good at avoiding pronouns what kinda problem u havin
@Snow
I made it work fam, it works, it's possible c:

@Ena
There were just too many characters that I was trying to he ambiguous about, it made the writing super stilted b/c it was in first person. But it's okay now, I narrowed the feild to two characters, and Panda was always feminine anyways ^_^

Light On, David Cook
Old 11-16-2017, 03:36 AM

Default Re has another rant and this time it's about feminism. Who even uses titles anymore?

I am lowkey angry at feminism and hopefully that's not as stupid as it sounds.

But like, I'm so frustrated because writing female characters used to be easy. Like it used to not matter what the girl character was, what her personality was like, as long as I could write her as herself. And then I started reading all these feminism things. They're everywhere I swear. It's all tumblr and pinterest, granted, but it's everyfuckingwhere.

And it's so difficult to write girl charries now because?? I feel like I have to do something with them. I feel like I have to force them to mean something, to cram as much importance and meaningfulness as possible down their throats.

Like no, stop. Just let me write a Soft Girl. Just let me write an Angry Girl. I don't want it to turn into a message to women about blah blah blah.

Boys are so much simpler. 'Oh there's a Jensen. Let's give him, um, chronic depression and an excellent poker face. There, done, more development can come as I write.'

With girls there's so much pressure to make them *matter* right off the bat.

Like damn, I've got no feel for them anymore. I'm a girl, I should be able to write girls?? Yes??? But hell if it isn't a mountain of a task.

Make them matter

Make them matter

Make them matter

No. Stop. I don't want them to matter. I don't want any of the genders I write to matter. They don't need to be messages, they don't need to be important. I need them to just. be. them. Or else they will only be dust.

Go away tumblr feminism. You're scrunching my charries.

Light On, David Cook
Old 11-16-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I am lowkey angry at feminism and hopefully that's not as stupid as it sounds.

But like, I'm so frustrated because writing female characters used to be easy. Like it used to not matter what the girl character was, what her personality was like, as long as I could write her as herself. And then I started reading all these feminism things. They're everywhere I swear. It's all tumblr and pinterest, granted, but it's everyfuckingwhere.

And it's so difficult to write girl charries now because?? I feel like I have to do something with them. I feel like I have to force them to mean something, to cram as much importance and meaningfulness as possible down their throats.

Like no, stop. Just let me write a Soft Girl. Just let me write an Angry Girl. I don't want it to turn into a message to women about blah blah blah.

Boys are so much simpler. 'Oh there's a Jensen. Let's give him, um, chronic depression and an excellent poker face. There, done, more development can come as I write.'

With girls there's so much pressure to make them *matter* right off the bat.

Like damn, I've got no feel for them anymore. I'm a girl, I should be able to write girls?? Yes??? But hell if it isn't a mountain of a task.

Make them matter

Make them matter

Make them matter

No. Stop. I don't want them to matter. I don't want any of the genders I write to matter. They don't need to be messages, they don't need to be important. I need them to just. be. them. Or else they will only be dust.

Go away tumblr feminism. You're scrunching my charries.
(screech inhale exhale) I'm not a feminist but I do feel personalities shouldn't be stereotyped by the character's gender but i should step out now since i don't do tumblr and i have no idea what you're tlaking about i just felt like blah idk why im writing this but yeah C:

welp hopefully there's no drama
Let the
shadows fall behind you.
Don't look back,
Just carry on.
And the
shadows
Will never find you.
🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤
Old 11-18-2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syafai View Post
(screech inhale exhale) I'm not a feminist but I do feel personalities shouldn't be stereotyped by the character's gender but i should step out now since i don't do tumblr and i have no idea what you're tlaking about i just felt like blah idk why im writing this but yeah C:

welp hopefully there's no drama
I mean, I'm a feminist for sure, and I agree that personality shouldn't be stereotyped by gender. But like there's all these posts on the internet dissecting female characters and pointing out why they're great. For example I saw a post recently that discussed how Starfire and Raven were both different, and drew their strengths from different vantage points involving emotion (embracing vs. suppresion) but were both still strong characters. They were strong female characters.

And yes, please write strong female characters. Write present female characters. We need them desperately.

But tbh I don't want to see anymore posts about random minor details that prove how strong a female character from something is. I'm sure there are people who do, and I know it's not a particularly negative thing unless it gets out of hand. I just find that for me, personally, spending a lot of time reading these posts translates into me putting a lot of pressure on myself to write strong female characters. And it gets to the point where I'm not in touch with the character anymore, I'm not writing for me anymore, I'm trying to make the character a thing that the public will like and it's just awful.

I want to be able to write freely, you know?

Light On, David Cook
Old 11-20-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I mean, I'm a feminist for sure, and I agree that personality shouldn't be stereotyped by gender. But like there's all these posts on the internet dissecting female characters and pointing out why they're great. For example I saw a post recently that discussed how Starfire and Raven were both different, and drew their strengths from different vantage points involving emotion (embracing vs. suppresion) but were both still strong characters. They were strong female characters.

And yes, please write strong female characters. Write present female characters. We need them desperately.

But tbh I don't want to see anymore posts about random minor details that prove how strong a female character from something is. I'm sure there are people who do, and I know it's not a particularly negative thing unless it gets out of hand. I just find that for me, personally, spending a lot of time reading these posts translates into me putting a lot of pressure on myself to write strong female characters. And it gets to the point where I'm not in touch with the character anymore, I'm not writing for me anymore, I'm trying to make the character a thing that the public will like and it's just awful.

I want to be able to write freely, you know?
i incorporate strong badass moments for female and male characters that build their characters and strengthen them. a lot of the time i'll show female characters' badass side more and show the male characters' softer sides. it gives a sort of balance. but that's just sometimes. i don't really think it matters that much. no character is going to be a strong female all the time, because no human is strong all the time. we all have weak moments when we're scared or hurt.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:28 PM

writing eastfield be like: WHY AM I TRYING TO DO THIS I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE WORLD

Child of God."

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Hey, guys! Great news!

We're not doomed!

As a matter of fact, we're saved.

(Christianity FTW )

Tags
ahhh characters, butterfly, cool people are cool, dude, fuck trump, hot people are hot, luna was here, nerdy people are cool, pooh people are pooh