Quantcast Mnemonics and Remembering Stuff - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > School
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 PM

Location: en route to Mordor, punching my father, Voldemort, in the nose for not liking my Father's Day gift
Default Mnemonics and Remembering Stuff

(Eh… School, educationalness stuff, close 'nuff. ^_^)

Does anyone use mnemonics to help remember stuff? Like, you're trying to remember a list of things and its order, so you take the letters and make them stand for something else, something memorable. For example, with the planets:
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune. Take those, make it MVEMJSUN. (Though, in my mind, it has a space in the middle: MVEM JSUN).
Then you can take that and make a phrase from it: Moriarty's vitrified, egregrious Martians just steal uncouth ninjas.
You can add hints, like making the second M stand for 'Martian'.
It's pretty helpful. ^_^

Strings of letters are easier for me to remember than strings of words, generally, so I can remember MVEM JSUN and that the second M stands for Martian, and, voila, pretty easy. ^_^
I do the same thing with the Boy Scout law(yet I'm not sure if it's the law or something else. xD): truthful, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, king, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, reverent. Squish that into TLHFCKOCTBCR (which, in my mind, is in lower case O_o). Divide that into four, 'tlh', 'fck', 'oct', and 'bcr'.
'tlh' is close to TLC, and 'fck' is close to a certain word that's a bit ironic, in this context. :P 'oct' is close to OCD, and 'bcr' is close to VCR.

Does anyone else do anything like that?

(This post is probably longish because I should be writing for Script Frenzy… :d)
Old 04-14-2012, 09:03 PM

Never tried.. but I think it would work.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:53 AM

I do that all the time. :3 Especially for remembering things short-term, or for tests.
Remembering a phrase-type thing or something which sounds like the letters is so much easier than memorizing the actual things just how they are. ^-^
Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Memorizing rhymes are so much easier than prose. My sister and I memorized about one-third of the Lorax (the picture book) already.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM

I had to memorize a 3 page long monologue for History (fun, huh?) and I did it by only seeing the first letter of the word. I still remember it, and that was in January.