Quantcast Going to middle school next year...HALP!!! - Page 2 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > School
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 09:53 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MaggieMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
It sucked for me.
Not gonna lie. I mean, I'm not trying to scare you or anything I'm sure you'll be fine. Just think about what you're doing and it will be better.
O_o
Thanks for telling me the truth and all, but this did kind of scare me...
Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 PM

For me, middle school has been the best time of my life. (:

Calm down. Middle school isn't that bad. Yes, you will have to switch classes, learn a locker combination and you will get homework from multiple classes. But it isn't that bad. I've personally been switching classes since 3rd grade, and I like it. Middle school is fun. (: I'm going into 8th grade this year- (last year of middle school!) and I'm personally sort of excited.

The homework level isn't bad. Really. You may get a study hall, and if you do, it'll help and you'll get a lot of homework done. Don't procrastinate- get things done. Some days you will have a ton of homework and other days you'll have little or none, but don't worry about it.

You may get lost, but most schools have an open house for sixth graders. You can go and meet your teachers, find your classes, and see your friends. If you do get lost, ask a student or teacher! Trust me, I'm not good with maps either, but I was fine. (: I only got slightly lost a couple of times, and some people in my grade helped point me in the right direction.

Yes, there are the mean kids in every school and every grade. But if you stick with your friends, be nice and do your work, you should fit right in. Just try to avoid the 'popular' group as that's where most of the meaness stems. (in my school at least.)

You will make new friends. Make small talk, compliment them on something, or sit next to someone nice looking in class. (: You'll be fine, and chances are, you'll have at least one class with your friends. I've always had a couple classes with my friends, and most of my classes with my best friend. But then again, my best friend won't be at my school this year. She's switching schools.

Anyways.

Whether you buy or bring your lunch is up to you. Sometimes the cafeteria will serve really gross stuff that no one eats, and other days they will serve really good food that everyone eats. It just depends. I personally like to pack my lunch (less waiting in the long lunch line, more time to eat and talk with friends) but that's just me.

You may have some teachers you don't like. That's normal. But do the work and the teachers should be fine with you.

PE can be hard sometimes- it depends on your school, and on your gym class. For example in my gym class, we usually run 8 minutes on Fridays, and then we have to run 1 mile eventually before the nine weeks ends. You'll be fine- trust me, I've survived, and I'm not the greatest/fastest runner. XD

And yes, you WILL survive. Middle school is fun! Don't worry about it. Everyone else is going to be getting used to middle school, just like you. (:

No more dreaming like a girl, like a girl so in love...with the wrong world.

Snow White's stitching up the circuitboard...

inside of me.

-quote on dA
Old 08-10-2012, 07:59 PM

Hey MaggieMay! I'm going into my last year of middle school, so I'll tell you about it.

1. Homework
Homework level is really high at my school. I can't lie to you. Homework sucks. We have at least an hour and a half a day, often times more, and even more on weekends. Then again, I have an abnormally fast-paced school with an abnormal amount of homework. Most likely, you'll have a relatively adequate homework level. Maybe an hour a night. Maybe less. KEEP A PLANNER. I cannot stress how important this is. Write down what the teacher says is homework, because "I didn't know the assignment" won't fly in middle school. Try not to procrastinate. Work for concentrated amounts of time, then take a longer break, opposed to working slowly with lots of little breaks. PACE OUT PROJECTS. Again, can't stress it enough. Things will happen, your printer will jam or your computer will crash-- that's okay. It happens to everyone. But if you save the project for the last day, you don't have any time to fix it. And nobody likes to be up at midnight working on a History essay (anecdote: The latest I've ever stayed up for homework was 2:00 in the morning. I was sick for couple of days and didn't get the assignments until two days before. I had a huge English project worth 30% of my grade, and a huge History assignment worth more. I had to drink caffeinated tea at 11:00 to keep me going. On the bright side, I finished them and got a perfect score on History and a 97 on English, which is the highest grade my teacher gives. This is a rare circumstance, but I should've been more proactive about getting the assignments). Also, work during study halls. I've gotten screwed over with free periods for the past couple years (they've all been in the morning before I have any classes), but study halls are really great times to work. It frees up more time for other stuff after school. SLEEP. Sleep is so important to your body and your brain, and you NEED to sleep to learn effectively. Middle school is often a time when kids get used to sleep deprivation, but try to go to sleep at a normal time. It's really important.

2. Friends and relationships
I understand your concern. When I was going into middle school, I was up all night bawling (I was going into a completely different school and I only knew 2 people). IT'S NOT THAT BAD. Actually, it's great. You will make friends, and chances are you WILL be in classes with your old friends. Even if you aren't in any classes with a single old friend, you will still find times to hang out. My best friend and I weren't in a single class or lunch together last year, and we're still best friends. You find time.
Chances are, somebody's going to be mean to you. I'm lucky, nobody's ever mean to me, because I'm what some people call a bridge kid. I'm friends with everyone, and everyone's friends with me. But I don't know what kind of school you go to. Bullies aren't accepted to my school. They wouldn't be, and my school has a no tolerance bullying policy. Basically, if you're a bully, you get suspended or expelled. If you're going to a public school, there are probably more lenient policies, because it's harder to control a school of 1000 than a school of 300. So, most likely, somebody will be mean to you. My advice? Don't give a damn. They're looking for a reaction. Don't give them a reaction. Now, if they persist or do something serious, TELL A TEACHER!! You are not a snitch or a tattle-tale if you get them to stop. You are just a smart person looking out for your safety, be it physical or psychological. If the teacher refuses to do something, get the principal. Somebody will need to do something, and you shouldn't stop because teachers dismiss it as minor.
Dating. Sigh. Personally, I think that middle school dating is meaningless, but honestly, do whatever the hell you want. Just don't feel pressured to date because people around you are. Especially don't be pressured to have sex (I don't know what kind of school you're going to, but I know that there are people your age who are not virgins... blech). Pressure is both good and bad. My friends can pressure me into a bunch of stuff, but it's always things like auditioning for a higher orchestra or swimming in cold water, not drugs or alcohol. Let friends pressure you to be better, but use your common sense.

3. Logistics
It's so, so, so hard to get lost. In most school, doors are marked with what subject, grade level, and teacher they are. I guarantee that you will know your way around in less than 2 weeks. Teachers will not get mad at you for being late to a class during the first week of school, because you're still finding your way around. If you don't know where you are, ask a teacher or someone in the halls. They will direct you where to go. Stick with a friend or even just a random person that you have classes with, and you'll be good to go. Ooh, this reminds me. Schedules. Keep a schedule in your binder and find out which classes line up with other classes. In my school, at least, you can find out your schedule by cross-referencing it to other people's. For example, last year I had History when my friend had English, and he had History when I had English. If I was confused, I would ask him what class he had next, and then I'd go from there. If you're going to a big school, this is unlikely, but for a small school it's useful. Just check your schedule a bunch and make sure you know which class you're going to. You probably won't need to make a conscious effort to memorize your schedule, it usually just happens by December or January. You can keep a schedule in your locker for easy access, too.
Locker combinations are so easy to remember. I don't know if you're freaking out about this, but I know I was. It's really nothing to worry about. I had mine down in less than a day, and I still remember it (00-20-06). That was 3 years ago. If you're really forgetful, write it on your hand or on the inside of your binder. Keep an index card with your combination in your back pocket. After a couple weeks, you won't even have to think about it.
Whether you should buy or bring lunch is really up to you and your parents. Public school lunch is disgusting, so if it's a public school I would highly recommend bringing lunch. If it's a private school, think about the cost and whether you like it or not. If you don't like it, don't get it.

4. PE
PE will probably not be very hard. You'll probably have to change into shorts and a t-shirt for class, but you won't be running very hard. I mean, you'll run a little everyday, but it's not like you're training for a 5K. Personally, I love running, so I have no problem with PE. My advice is just to suck it up, because there's not much you can do about it.
Locker rooms can be awkward. If you don't wear a bra, start wearing sports bras. Keep your stuff in your locker, which will probably be separate from your regular school locker. BRING DEODORANT. You can get really stinky after PE, and deodorant is magical. Always have a hair tie in your gym bag, because it's best to tie your hair up for PE.

5. Teachers
There will be teachers that you like and teachers that you dislike, but they probably will not be mean to you. You shouldn't have to worry about teachers.

Yes, you will survive. You'll probably have a great time, too. Have any other questions? I'd be happy to answer them.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:00 PM

Whoo, that was a long post.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaR View Post
Hey MaggieMay! I'm going into my last year of middle school, so I'll tell you about it.

1. Homework
Homework level is really high at my school. I can't lie to you. Homework sucks. We have at least an hour and a half a day, often times more, and even more on weekends. Then again, I have an abnormally fast-paced school with an abnormal amount of homework. Most likely, you'll have a relatively adequate homework level. Maybe an hour a night. Maybe less. KEEP A PLANNER. I cannot stress how important this is. Write down what the teacher says is homework, because "I didn't know the assignment" won't fly in middle school. Try not to procrastinate. Work for concentrated amounts of time, then take a longer break, opposed to working slowly with lots of little breaks. PACE OUT PROJECTS. Again, can't stress it enough. Things will happen, your printer will jam or your computer will crash-- that's okay. It happens to everyone. But if you save the project for the last day, you don't have any time to fix it. And nobody likes to be up at midnight working on a History essay (anecdote: The latest I've ever stayed up for homework was 2:00 in the morning. I was sick for couple of days and didn't get the assignments until two days before. I had a huge English project worth 30% of my grade, and a huge History assignment worth more. I had to drink caffeinated tea at 11:00 to keep me going. On the bright side, I finished them and got a perfect score on History and a 97 on English, which is the highest grade my teacher gives. This is a rare circumstance, but I should've been more proactive about getting the assignments). Also, work during study halls. I've gotten screwed over with free periods for the past couple years (they've all been in the morning before I have any classes), but study halls are really great times to work. It frees up more time for other stuff after school. SLEEP. Sleep is so important to your body and your brain, and you NEED to sleep to learn effectively. Middle school is often a time when kids get used to sleep deprivation, but try to go to sleep at a normal time. It's really important.

2. Friends and relationships
I understand your concern. When I was going into middle school, I was up all night bawling (I was going into a completely different school and I only knew 2 people). IT'S NOT THAT BAD. Actually, it's great. You will make friends, and chances are you WILL be in classes with your old friends. Even if you aren't in any classes with a single old friend, you will still find times to hang out. My best friend and I weren't in a single class or lunch together last year, and we're still best friends. You find time.
Chances are, somebody's going to be mean to you. I'm lucky, nobody's ever mean to me, because I'm what some people call a bridge kid. I'm friends with everyone, and everyone's friends with me. But I don't know what kind of school you go to. Bullies aren't accepted to my school. They wouldn't be, and my school has a no tolerance bullying policy. Basically, if you're a bully, you get suspended or expelled. If you're going to a public school, there are probably more lenient policies, because it's harder to control a school of 1000 than a school of 300. So, most likely, somebody will be mean to you. My advice? Don't give a damn. They're looking for a reaction. Don't give them a reaction. Now, if they persist or do something serious, TELL A TEACHER!! You are not a snitch or a tattle-tale if you get them to stop. You are just a smart person looking out for your safety, be it physical or psychological. If the teacher refuses to do something, get the principal. Somebody will need to do something, and you shouldn't stop because teachers dismiss it as minor.
Dating. Sigh. Personally, I think that middle school dating is meaningless, but honestly, do whatever the hell you want. Just don't feel pressured to date because people around you are. Especially don't be pressured to have sex (I don't know what kind of school you're going to, but I know that there are people your age who are not virgins... blech). Pressure is both good and bad. My friends can pressure me into a bunch of stuff, but it's always things like auditioning for a higher orchestra or swimming in cold water, not drugs or alcohol. Let friends pressure you to be better, but use your common sense.

3. Logistics
It's so, so, so hard to get lost. In most school, doors are marked with what subject, grade level, and teacher they are. I guarantee that you will know your way around in less than 2 weeks. Teachers will not get mad at you for being late to a class during the first week of school, because you're still finding your way around. If you don't know where you are, ask a teacher or someone in the halls. They will direct you where to go. Stick with a friend or even just a random person that you have classes with, and you'll be good to go. Ooh, this reminds me. Schedules. Keep a schedule in your binder and find out which classes line up with other classes. In my school, at least, you can find out your schedule by cross-referencing it to other people's. For example, last year I had History when my friend had English, and he had History when I had English. If I was confused, I would ask him what class he had next, and then I'd go from there. If you're going to a big school, this is unlikely, but for a small school it's useful. Just check your schedule a bunch and make sure you know which class you're going to. You probably won't need to make a conscious effort to memorize your schedule, it usually just happens by December or January. You can keep a schedule in your locker for easy access, too.
Locker combinations are so easy to remember. I don't know if you're freaking out about this, but I know I was. It's really nothing to worry about. I had mine down in less than a day, and I still remember it (00-20-06). That was 3 years ago. If you're really forgetful, write it on your hand or on the inside of your binder. Keep an index card with your combination in your back pocket. After a couple weeks, you won't even have to think about it.
Whether you should buy or bring lunch is really up to you and your parents. Public school lunch is disgusting, so if it's a public school I would highly recommend bringing lunch. If it's a private school, think about the cost and whether you like it or not. If you don't like it, don't get it.

4. PE
PE will probably not be very hard. You'll probably have to change into shorts and a t-shirt for class, but you won't be running very hard. I mean, you'll run a little everyday, but it's not like you're training for a 5K. Personally, I love running, so I have no problem with PE. My advice is just to suck it up, because there's not much you can do about it.
Locker rooms can be awkward. If you don't wear a bra, start wearing sports bras. Keep your stuff in your locker, which will probably be separate from your regular school locker. BRING DEODORANT. You can get really stinky after PE, and deodorant is magical. Always have a hair tie in your gym bag, because it's best to tie your hair up for PE.

5. Teachers
There will be teachers that you like and teachers that you dislike, but they probably will not be mean to you. You shouldn't have to worry about teachers.

Yes, you will survive. You'll probably have a great time, too. Have any other questions? I'd be happy to answer them.
Wow. That WAS a long post. BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH ANYWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *gives a gigantic hug.*

The thing is, we don't get lockers, except for gym. We have to lug everything around in our backpacks all day long *dies thinking about it.*

And I compared my schedule with two of my good friends, and I only had one class with one of them. At least we all have the same lunch period.

And I'm going into seventh grade, so there's only two grades, and since I'll be pretty close in age to everyone, I don't think that will cause an issue. ^_^

Yeah, I start tomorrow, sooo...wish me luck!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudwriter View Post
For me, middle school has been the best time of my life. (:

Calm down. Middle school isn't that bad. Yes, you will have to switch classes, learn a locker combination and you will get homework from multiple classes. But it isn't that bad. I've personally been switching classes since 3rd grade, and I like it. Middle school is fun. (: I'm going into 8th grade this year- (last year of middle school!) and I'm personally sort of excited.

The homework level isn't bad. Really. You may get a study hall, and if you do, it'll help and you'll get a lot of homework done. Don't procrastinate- get things done. Some days you will have a ton of homework and other days you'll have little or none, but don't worry about it.

You may get lost, but most schools have an open house for sixth graders. You can go and meet your teachers, find your classes, and see your friends. If you do get lost, ask a student or teacher! Trust me, I'm not good with maps either, but I was fine. (: I only got slightly lost a couple of times, and some people in my grade helped point me in the right direction.

Yes, there are the mean kids in every school and every grade. But if you stick with your friends, be nice and do your work, you should fit right in. Just try to avoid the 'popular' group as that's where most of the meaness stems. (in my school at least.)

You will make new friends. Make small talk, compliment them on something, or sit next to someone nice looking in class. (: You'll be fine, and chances are, you'll have at least one class with your friends. I've always had a couple classes with my friends, and most of my classes with my best friend. But then again, my best friend won't be at my school this year. She's switching schools.

Anyways.

Whether you buy or bring your lunch is up to you. Sometimes the cafeteria will serve really gross stuff that no one eats, and other days they will serve really good food that everyone eats. It just depends. I personally like to pack my lunch (less waiting in the long lunch line, more time to eat and talk with friends) but that's just me.

You may have some teachers you don't like. That's normal. But do the work and the teachers should be fine with you.

PE can be hard sometimes- it depends on your school, and on your gym class. For example in my gym class, we usually run 8 minutes on Fridays, and then we have to run 1 mile eventually before the nine weeks ends. You'll be fine- trust me, I've survived, and I'm not the greatest/fastest runner. XD

And yes, you WILL survive. Middle school is fun! Don't worry about it. Everyone else is going to be getting used to middle school, just like you. (:
THANK YOU SO MUCH. *hugs* All this ADVICE!!!!!! You guys are so NICE!!!!! (Hehe, I just rhymed. I'm a poet and I didn't even know it ^_^ Okay, back to the point...)

I'm actually going into seventh grade, am starting tomorrow *gasp!*, and have my schedule all mapped out. There's, like, 900 kids or so, with only 2 grades, so I'm sure I'll meet a lot of new people.

Okay, I'm going to hyperventilate while saying this: WE DON'T GET LOCKERS. We have to lug everything around in our backpacks all day. Soooo, yeah. -_-

Thanks again!!!!! I'll be sure to take yours--and everyone else's--advice tomorrow, and hopefully, it goes well XD
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 PM

Lugging stuff around in your backpack isn't that bad. I carry my backpack everywhere because I have a laptop and a binder in it, and it's just too much of a hassle to carry them both individually.
On the first day of 7th grade, my backpack was so heavy (I had all my books including a 5 pound Life Science textbook, my laptop, and my binder) that I face-planted trying to get into the car.
It gets lighter and your shoulders get stronger. The worst 2 days of the year were when I had to lug around my backpack while I was on crutches AND the elevators were broken for the first time in forever.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaR View Post
Lugging stuff around in your backpack isn't that bad. I carry my backpack everywhere because I have a laptop and a binder in it, and it's just too much of a hassle to carry them both individually.
On the first day of 7th grade, my backpack was so heavy (I had all my books including a 5 pound Life Science textbook, my laptop, and my binder) that I face-planted trying to get into the car.
It gets lighter and your shoulders get stronger. The worst 2 days of the year were when I had to lug around my backpack while I was on crutches AND the elevators were broken for the first time in forever.
I had my second day today, and I have to say, it wasn't that bad. I found all my classes fine, and my backpack wasn't that bad. I did keep spazzing out from my excitement, and that was torturous. But, like I said, I was fine. Now, I'm exhausted--getting used to gettin up at 6 and leaving at 7, ugh--and yesterday, I was running on pure excitement, so I wasn't tired at all. Hopefully I'll get used tI this soon...Broken elevator? When you most needed it?!?!?!? Wow...I am feeling utter sympathy right now. Thanks again, Emma ^_^
Old 08-14-2012, 08:11 PM

i'm going to middle school too!! Although here it's seventh grade, instead of sixth.
I'M REALLY EXCITED/CRAZED/WORRRIED. Soooooo...I'm feeling exactly with you, Maggie. I know exactly how you feel. I can use any advice i get, so I've been reading all the posts...i'm particularly worried about getting to each class on time, because our school is huge and you get two minutes between each class to transition to the next class, and that INCLUDES going all the way across the parking lot and changing for gym class, O_O. Also the homework load, I'm usually pretty good at getting my homework done...but i'm afraid it's going to get in the way of spending time other places, like with family. Also, my best friend EVER is going to a different school than me, and i'm so sad to be split apart, as she's also going to be moving...and I can't use a combination lock...O_O oh god, I'm a mix up of emotions.

Last edited by EpicWriter; 08-14-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMay View Post
I had my second day today, and I have to say, it wasn't that bad. I found all my classes fine, and my backpack wasn't that bad. I did keep spazzing out from my excitement, and that was torturous. But, like I said, I was fine. Now, I'm exhausted--getting used to gettin up at 6 and leaving at 7, ugh--and yesterday, I was running on pure excitement, so I wasn't tired at all. Hopefully I'll get used tI this soon...Broken elevator? When you most needed it?!?!?!? Wow...I am feeling utter sympathy right now. Thanks again, Emma ^_^
No problem, glad to help!

Tags
*helps*, advice please!, freaking out, help me please!!, itsnotthatbad :d, middle school is awesome, the potato has spoken, the prophecy..., u'll be fine lst :), watch out for voldy...