Quantcast Labels - Page 2 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Free advice
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venika View Post
Ah yeah that can be frustrating but it's not really a problem for me because I'm basically the one who is academically smart (getting the academic awards, good grades, whatever) but is really sucky at sport (like I'm one of those people who are bad at every. single. sport. so XD)
This is also me.
My friend who I wish wasn't my friend anymore because she's really mean to me said that I wouldn't ever get into a good college because I don't do sports well.
"You're not talented, Alice. You won't ever be smart or get a good job. You won't ever get into the college you want, well, because they'll never accept someone who doesn't do sports."

Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would.
You see?"

Old 07-27-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiremoon View Post
I hate it when people who don't know me (other grades) think I'm an idiot because I'm good a sports (because if you're athletic, you OBVIOUSLY can't be clever, too, right? X_X). And then people in my own grade don't think I'm that athletic because I'm in gifted and got the academic award and shtuff (but I also got the MVP for volleyball and the gold medal at 400m in our entire school district...?). So yes. I hate it when people label you as a 'jock', and think you have no brains, or a 'nerd', and think you can't kick a ball.
That's a dumb stereotype :/ I can understand where that'd be frustrating.
But at the same time, I'm sick of people saying that I'm some sort of freak because I, personally, can't kick a ball. I can't play volleyball or football or whatever. I'm useless when it comes to sports, and I've gotten so much shit for it.

((death, white lies))
Old 07-27-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenabrain1 View Post
This is also me.
My friend who I wish wasn't my friend anymore because she's really mean to me said that I wouldn't ever get into a good college because I don't do sports well.
"You're not talented, Alice. You won't ever be smart or get a good job. You won't ever get into the college you want, well, because they'll never accept someone who doesn't do sports."
Really? Most scholarships have to do with intelligence rather than athletics, and being smart isn't based on if you go to college or not.

And if they are sport based(which they most certainly aren't) I am doomed when it comes to that. (Unless it's swimming or rock climbing, or really simple soccer, or unstressful basketball.)

Scholarships aren't the only way to get into college either. I'm sorry if this offends you somehow, but that is a dumb thing to say.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
Really? Most scholarships have to do with intelligence rather than athletics, and being smart isn't based on if you go to college or not.

And if they are sport based(which they most certainly aren't) I am doomed when it comes to that. (Unless it's swimming or rock climbing, or really simple soccer, or unstressful basketball.)

Scholarships aren't the only way to get into college either. I'm sorry if this offends you somehow, but that is a dumb thing to say.
The thing is, I don't come from one of those rich families who don't need immediate scholarships to get into college.
I kind of need the scholarship if I can get it, because I don't want my parents spending a lot of money on school.
I would rather go to a sucky college than have my parents spend a fortune on some posh college.
Though it'd be best if I get into a law school or something.

You see?"

Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The thing is, I don't come from one of those rich families who don't need immediate scholarships to get into college.
I kind of need the scholarship if I can get it, because I don't want my parents spending a lot of money on school.
I would rather go to a sucky college than have my parents spend a fortune on some posh college.
Though it'd be best if I get into a law school or something.
I bet you get one.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I bet you get one.
I bet I don't.

You see?"

Old 07-27-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I bet I don't.
You shouldn't worry now. College is years away.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
You shouldn't worry now. College is years away.
But five years is pretty close, no?
And the regents and the SAT and whaaat

You see?"

Old 07-27-2014, 03:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to venika

Quote:
This is also me.
what even? no offense to her, but that is like the stupidest thing ever. I mean, unless you want to become a professional sportsperson, you don't need to be good at sports to get into a good college. Besides, most colleges are for the academics or arts and so sports will only matter if it counts as an extra activity. and there are SO many other extra activities that... just... ugh. I really hate it when people judge you based on your athletic ability. :/

of course you'll make it into a good college. (and you definitely won't be NOT considered just because you don't do sports or something). -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
That's a dumb stereotype :/ I can understand where that'd be frustrating.
But at the same time, I'm sick of people saying that I'm some sort of freak because I, personally, can't kick a ball. I can't play volleyball or football or whatever. I'm useless when it comes to sports, and I've gotten so much shit for it.
omg me too.
like i'm probably the WORST at sports in my entire grade or something. but even with strategy games in sports, where you actually need a good plan, not just the ability to run fast or whatever, it's like the fastest/sportiest people are automatically valued the most. and gosh, just because i'm not fast doesn't mean i'm automatically the defender. personally i suck at defence (slow reflexes, short attention span xD) but because i'm a super slow runner apparently i need to be in defence. :/

and i'm sorry that people have given you trouble for not being good at sports or whatever. gosh that must suck. :/
Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venika View Post
what even? no offense to her, but that is like the stupidest thing ever. I mean, unless you want to become a professional sportsperson, you don't need to be good at sports to get into a good college. Besides, most colleges are for the academics or arts and so sports will only matter if it counts as an extra activity. and there are SO many other extra activities that... just... ugh. I really hate it when people judge you based on your athletic ability. :/

of course you'll make it into a good college. (and you definitely won't be NOT considered just because you don't do sports or something). -_-
Yeah, that's what I wanted to say, but I just kept quiet and turned my face away from hers. I really want to be a lawyer, but my parents want me to be a translator. I mean, what do you do?

You see?"