Quantcast Big KP Writing Contest? - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Contests
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2015, 06:03 PM

Default Big KP Writing Contest?

So I've been kind of missing the awesome KP writing contest that Perry used to run... you know, the ones where you could win Amazon gift cards? Yeah, those ones.

Obviously any user-run contest is not going to have a cash prize, and usually when people run contest the rewards for winners are things like CC, book reviews, book covers and sketches.

I've tried creating these type of contests before, but none of them have been very successful (at all). So I was wondering if someone, or multiple people, for that matter, wanted to pair up with me to create a big KP writing contest/championship/hullabaloo.

IDK what the prizes could be. I like doing book reviews and book covers, but I'm horrible at drawing. If somebody was willing to partner with me, maybe we could put our talents together and create some sort of fantastical reward or something. It's not going to be money... but hopefully it'll be good enough.

Okay, so anybody with me?
Old 02-22-2015, 06:51 PM

I've missed a good contest

#﹤(^_^﹤)
But then I was like...

(>^#^﹤)
"I'm hungry..."

(>^_^)> So I ate it.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:12 PM

Yeah I miss those contests. It's understandable that Perry is busy, but...it's been a year since the last contest. ;~; There may be other reasons, I wouldn't know. I hope they come back soon though!

If you do a contest for the month of March, I might be able to help out with the prizes, since my spring break starts on 3/30. :3
finally
free

or is this
just a prettier
cage?
Old 02-22-2015, 07:24 PM

Okay, here's an idea. We could do a contest for March/April. For example, the contest would start in, say, mid-March and go until early to mid-April. What ideas do you have for the prize?

I'm thinking it could maybe be a 3 or 4 round contest. There is a new topic for each round, and you have to write a new story. Or it could just be a regular contest, where you enter one story/poem/excerpt from your novel.

IDK, what do you think?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcate781 View Post
Okay, here's an idea. We could do a contest for March/April. For example, the contest would start in, say, mid-March and go until early to mid-April. What ideas do you have for the prize?

I'm thinking it could maybe be a 3 or 4 round contest. There is a new topic for each round, and you have to write a new story. Or it could just be a regular contest, where you enter one story/poem/excerpt from your novel.

IDK, what do you think?
Why not a contest for just March? You could have a round for every week of it (so four). :3 Then again, lots of people have state testing during the next few months...it might be a bit quick for some.
finally
free

or is this
just a prettier
cage?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:37 PM

I can do all/any of the drawing. This sounds really cool.
I joined a day too late to join the last contest, and I was expecting to be able to enter the next one.
But really, I shouldn't complain, considering all the people who entered and never got the results.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrybomb View Post
Why not a contest for just March? You could have a round for every week of it (so four). :3 Then again, lots of people have state testing during the next few months...it might be a bit quick for some.
That is definitely a good idea, but as you said, lots of people have state testing during that time (well, actually, I live in Canada, so IDK )

Maybe we could do a three-round March writing contest instead- that way each round will have a deadline over a week. Another idea that came to me after posting my previous comment was this: why not do a single-round contest where there are three categories you can post entries in. Poetry, Short Story, and Excerpt From Novel. I tried to do this in an old contest of mine, but I never finished it.

Which do you think would be better?

By the way, thank you so much for offering to help out with the prizes!
Old 06-20-2015, 02:13 PM

Post so far https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
finally
free

or is this
just a prettier
cage?
Old 06-21-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrybomb View Post
Yeah, I think the former way would work better because you don't need as many judges. Maybe instead of each category being 10 points, some of them can be worth 5 points. In the case that a certain category is important to a story's worth, but not as important as _____ category. For instance, I think grammar might be less important than the plot, so the plot could be 10 points max, and the grammar could be 5 points max.
Yeah, this is a good idea. We're still making the posts anonymous, right?
Old 06-21-2015, 06:37 AM

Also I think there should be a special form for people to submit their pieces in?
For instance it would be something like:

For July's Kidpub Writing Contest
Username:
Current Screen Name:

Category [Short Stories/Poetry] (only if we're doing this on the same post, if you don't get what I mean I'll elaborate.)
Prompt: Images/Photographs
Title:
Contestant Letter: (the letter would ideally be decided by Meera in the order she got the entries. Meera would then email the contestant back with a confirmation email and their Contestant letter, which is to be kept strictly confidential, then the story/poem will be emailed to the judges. ((NOT FORWARDED)) We'll work on this idea, probably.)

[story/poem below]

Also Cherry- I think we should start at the start of the month (7/1) and end on the end of the month (7/31) so they have enough time. The winners would be announced on the 15th of the following month (8/15) -this way the judges would have 10 days to decide the winner and 5 days to work with in case anything go wrong or if judges go mia and aren't able to be contacted.

I'm still unsure about the entry fee thing- since people tend to go missing or just forget they've even entered the contest in the first place, and prizes go unclaimed... that kind of stuff. I think we might have to work that one out.

Tags
i like mangos, my mango was here, say hello to the mango