Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > School
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoCat View Post
That sounds really awesome!!!

I'm homeschooled, but it's actually just an online public school. I used to be homeschooled (where Mom was the teacher and she just bought the books/cirriculum and taught us stuff at home) but now I have a guidance counselor, an advisor, a principal (for each grade), a teacher for every class, and even classmates (I met some at the school dance). It's still cool that I can get up later (the bus for the local school comes at 7:00) and its really flexible.

I can take college classes without worrying too much about missing school, I get to go on awesome field trip things to ice skating rinks and McDonalds (so we can chat with classmates over breakfast) so that's pretty nice. I also get a lot of one-on-one time with teachers when I need it and I can work at my own pace in every class. I've been homeschooled for my entire life aside from two years when I went to the brick-and-mortar school (as is our term for it).

I still love it though. No, I don't stay in my pajamas all day. No, I don't sleep in 'til noon every day. No, I don't just do nothing and call it school. No, my Mom is not my teacher. Yes, it's still school. XD People can makes some crazy assumptions about homeschoolers, especially when it's the middle of the week and I'm out shopping at the mall (it's happened before, but I just had a short school day). So, yeah, I'm glad you're loving homeschool because it's the best!
People do have the weirdest assumptions about homeschooling. People have said that if they were homeschooled, they could wear their pajamas and play video games all day. How do they think that works? School is in the name, so obviously you have to do school. I've been asked if I do math. I've been drilled with questions about whether I do a bunch of different subjects. I've been told that I never get out, which is so not true about a lot of homeschoolers. Believe me, a lot of homeschoolers I know get out a lot. We joke that it's car school instead of homeschool. And then I've been told that I'm missing so much by not going to public school. Well, I've heard stories of some of the things that goes on there, and personally, I don't think I'm missing much of anything.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
People do have the weirdest assumptions about homeschooling. People have said that if they were homeschooled, they could wear their pajamas and play video games all day. How do they think that works? School is in the name, so obviously you have to do school. I've been asked if I do math. I've been drilled with questions about whether I do a bunch of different subjects. I've been told that I never get out, which is so not true about a lot of homeschoolers. Believe me, a lot of homeschoolers I know get out a lot. We joke that it's car school instead of homeschool. And then I've been told that I'm missing so much by not going to public school. Well, I've heard stories of some of the things that goes on there, and personally, I don't think I'm missing much of anything.
I agree. I've heard horror stories of lazy math teachers that don't really do much at all, people beating up other people (a looot), the popular kids being really mean (gosh, stereotypes are true!), crazy stuff happening in band (I don't play an instrument and I don't plan on doing so just so I can be with these people), and, ugh, the bus rides. The first (and only) year I rode the bus was kinda fun kinda terrible. I only knew about 3 people and I always had to wake up my little sis on the ride home. But now they've changed it so the buses come even earlier and you get home later. The school isn't very far from our house! It would be faster to walk. @~@
Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 PM

Just letting y'all know that public school is fine, especially for elementary school. Middle school is also pretty fine, and if you work hard and do well nobody will bother you. I mean, of course it depends on which high school you go to, but in high school people just generally do their own thing. Private school is better, but there's nothing so wrong with public school that homeschooling is infallibly the better option.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:03 PM

Location: Held captive by Loki while waiting for the Doctor who is solving a mystery with Sherlock.

I guess my ideas about homeschooling were always very stereotypical. O_o

is not KNOWLEDGE
but i m a g i n a t i o n.
- Albert Einstein

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaR View Post
Just letting y'all know that public school is fine, especially for elementary school. Middle school is also pretty fine, and if you work hard and do well nobody will bother you. I mean, of course it depends on which high school you go to, but in high school people just generally do their own thing. Private school is better, but there's nothing so wrong with public school that homeschooling is infallibly the better option.
Oh, I know that public school isn't horrible or that homeschooling is always the better option. I'd say it's the better option for me, so I can work ahead and work more so on specific things, like a lot on writing. It can work great for some people, but some people are so different now because of public school. I'm sorry if I sounded like I thought it was horrible, but I didn't mean to.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avbhabra View Post
I guess my ideas about homeschooling were always very stereotypical. O_o
What were your ideas? Because, unfortunately, some homeschool families do fit the stereotypes very well.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:50 PM

Location: Held captive by Loki while waiting for the Doctor who is solving a mystery with Sherlock.

Quote:
What were your ideas? Because, unfortunately, some homeschool families do fit the stereotypes very well.
I guess I assumed that they were children who always stayed at home with their parents and teachers. And they just learned from old textbooks and didn't have any school social life. Like, obviously they had a social life but I didn't know that there were online classes where you could actually meet the others in your class as well. And then there are apparently a number of activities with a bunch of classmates. O.o Well, I learned something new, I guess. ^_^

is not KNOWLEDGE
- Albert Einstein

Old 04-03-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avbhabra View Post
I guess I assumed that they were children who always stayed at home with their parents and teachers. And they just learned from old textbooks and didn't have any school social life. Like, obviously they had a social life but I didn't know that there were online classes where you could actually meet the others in your class as well. And then there are apparently a number of activities with a bunch of classmates. O.o Well, I learned something new, I guess. ^_^
Yeah, some families do fit the stay at home description. We don't just learn from text books (at least I don't) and the homeschoolers I know don't have a school social life, since the ones I know aren't at school, but we are social. We have a co-op which the main point of it is social reasons, some I know are on school sports, go to church, youth group, etc. My group is pretty social and lively. The homeschoolers I know don't have the online stuff. Our parents are our teachers, but some do the online things and it's a neat idea. We get together and do field trips and games at the park and such. It's always good to learn something new.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 PM

I'm homeschooled and 'tis awesome
Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, some families do fit the stay at home description. We don't just learn from text books (at least I don't) and the homeschoolers I know don't have a school social life, since the ones I know aren't at school, but we are social. We have a co-op which the main point of it is social reasons, some I know are on school sports, go to church, youth group, etc. My group is pretty social and lively. The homeschoolers I know don't have the online stuff. Our parents are our teachers, but some do the online things and it's a neat idea. We get together and do field trips and games at the park and such. It's always good to learn something new.
It must be awesome!! So you just learn at your own pace? That would be great. O.o Sometimes it takes me forever to grasp a concept and I still don't fully understand it when I'm done with the topic, and other times I grasp the concept very easily and the rest of the time, I just sit in class and do nothing. xD

is not KNOWLEDGE
- Albert Einstein