Quantcast Nancy Yi Fan Un-Fan Club - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Books and Such > Book Clubs
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2009, 06:09 PM

Default Nancy Yi Fan Un-Fan Club

Okay so you've probably heard about Swordbird thought "My god, an author my age-- published!" You pick up the book, read it and realize it's just a Redwall fanfiction! Then you turn to your computer or note book and say:
"I'm going to write a novel that's SOOOOOO much bettter than this!"
This is the thread where you can rant about how the HECK "Swordbird got published".
Old 02-02-2009, 07:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Danish621 Send a message via Yahoo to Danish621
Angry

For a long, long time, I've been envying Nancy Yi Fan. All that hard work she did when she got published, blah blah blah. I've checked to see how many pages long Sworbird is--282 pages--and telling myself I could SO beat that. It took her two years to write her novel--it took me two months to get eighty-five pages! Kidpub has better writers than her, so I don't get why we--with the exception of Lauren and ppl who were in magazines--aren't professionally published, like we deserve to be.

At least we know that we're better than a published author!

People are so bloody proud of her. Don't they realize that she basically copied Warriors and Redwall? >:P

Nancy Yi Fan has given child authors--us!--a bad name.

Have a grape day.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:22 PM

Default No,

I think shes given us a better name. She did get published, guys, no matter what we say about her book.

I didn't really like it though... The plot was confusing, and predictable.

But, whatever. Good for her.

-Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:13 AM

yeah. Just because she wrote something not that good that did well, we shouldn't hate her. I say good for her, she got published. I mean... take series of unfortunate events. The text isn't that advanced, they are quite predictable and they aren't very long or complex. They're very famous and have come top of so many lists and won so many awards... it's amazing. (don't get me wrong, I like the books.) but what I'm saying is it doesn't have to be good to be popular. It's all about how it's shown to the public. If a film was shot for 1000 then the company would probably spend about 500 on advertising. It's not about what it is... it's about will it sell. The book that this girl wrote will obviously sell... and so they published it. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:35 AM

I think it only sold well because she was so young, though. It was released simultaneously in SO MANY countries, and I don't think the publishers would have taken that risk if they hadn't had the huge selling point of her age.

I mean, come on, if you saw a book in your local bookstore that said it was written by a 12 year old, you'd buy it, right? Or at least pick it up to look at it. If it was the same book written by (for example) a 30 year old housewife, or a businessman, probably 9 out of 10 times people's eyes would probably skim right over it.

Nancy had a selling point. Several good selling points: firstly and most importantly, she was young, and a few other interesting details just completed the story: the fact that she had only spoken English for a few years, that she was a straight A student, she took swordplay lessons just so she could get the fighting scenes right, and if I'm not mistaken she was inspired partly by the September 11 attacks... (not sure on that; I think I heard that somewhere though).
So the publishers took these selling points, and used then. Used them well...Swordbird was on the New York Times Bestsellers list...

Don't get me wrong. I admire her for actually finishing a book at her age, let alone having the tenacity to get it published. But I started to read Swordbird and didn't get far. I got bored. :P
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 PM

I know it's sad... Yeah, I congragulate her for actually finishing a manuscript (I mean I can't... I got close but not by much) but it's sad that these publishers really care about money...
But c'mon, we all know we could probably write a heck of a better story... if we could finish it, that's another story.
I would sell my copy of Swordbird (heck, I didn't realize it was written by one of us young-un's until I bought it! I thought it'd be a fun read. So no basis there...) but I can't because I keep it around because:
a.) I have my name written in it in Ink
b.) It's a sort of a savage motavation, knowing it's there and my book (or any other thingy I've written) isn't.
So all in all, I know I'm being envious and immature even though she published a book.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:54 PM

The only reason I'm probably not being envious and immature is because I've never seen or heard of this book before you guys ever mentioned it. I'm sure if I had a copy I would be right in here. lol
Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redhead

Lauren: how do you get to redwallish fantasy from 9-11? i dk.

anyways, i think the book was not that great, and of course there are people on here that are going places *crosses fingers* like her. i mean, her age was almost like a advertising tool and all. whatevs. let's all just get published in the next five years and blow ehr away, si? *winks*

o o
(-.-)
-(0)-
| |

LOOK!!! IZ A TEDY BEAR!!!
(thank you for your concern about my mental health)
Old 02-04-2009, 01:50 AM

Reddie - I think it had something to do with war, and peace...I'm not sure though...
Old 02-04-2009, 05:40 PM

It was something like that, but her allegory is either:
a.) SOOOOO Sophysiticated that nobody but adults got it
or
b.) It was SOOOOO subtle that nobody could get it
or
c.) She dreamed, she tried she failed.