Quantcast Random House's Novel Contest - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Contests
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Danish621 Send a message via Yahoo to Danish621
Talking Random House's Novel Contest

To the world outside KidPub, it's a rare and amazing feat when kids write even remotely like an author. But we all write like authors more than remotely, right? Cos we ARE authors. Anyways, for those of you nine-to-twelve-year-old's who love writing historical fiction/contemporary novels, here's a contest for you, with a suh-weet prize.

Note: Comments by me will be written in my favorite color, red.

Delacorte Press Books for Young Readers is proud to announce the
Eighteenth Annual
Delacorte Yearling Contest for
a First Middle-Grade Novel*

The prize of a book contract (on the Publisher’s standard form) for a hardcover and a paperback edition, including an advance and royalties, will be awarded annually to encourage the writing of contemporary or historical fiction set in North
America, for readers age 9–12. The award consists of $1,500 in cash and a $7,500 advance against royalties. Whoa, baby!

All federal, state and local taxes, if any, are the winners sole responsibility. Prizes are not transferrable (haha transferrable ain't a word)and cannot be assigned. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO WIN.

ELIGIBILITY
1. The contest is open to U.S. and Canadian writers who have not previously published a novel for middle-grade readers. Employees of Random House, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates, and members of their families and households are not eligible.

2. Foreign-language manuscripts and translations are not eligible.

3. Manuscripts submitted to a previous Delacorte Press contest are not eligible.

FORMAT FOR SUBMISSIONS
1. Manuscripts should be no shorter than 96 typewritten pages and no longer than 160 typewritten pages. Include a brief plot summary with your covering letter.

2. Each manuscript should have a cover page listing the title of the work and the author’s name, address, and telephone number. The title should also appear on each manuscript page. I don't know how to do that.

3. Manuscripts should be typed doublespaced on 8 1/2" by 11" good quality white paper, and pages should be numbered consecutively.The type should be easy to read, preferably 12 point.The author should retain a copy of any manuscript submitted.

4. Photocopies are acceptable if readily legible and printed on good quality white (not gray) paper. Partial or illegible entries will not be acceptable.

5. Photocopies are acceptable if readily legible and printed on good quality white (not gray) paper.

6. Do not submit manuscripts in boxes. But I lurve boxes! A padded envelope will do. Please do not enclose checks for postage. The publisher is not responsible for late, lost, misdelivered, or misplaced submissions.

7. Please enclose a business-size stamped, self-addressed envelope for notification only. Please do not enclose checks for postage. Due to new postal regulations, the publisher cannot return any manuscripts. All submissions will be recycled by Random House after they are read.

MULTIPLE SUBMISSIONS
1. Manuscripts sent to Delacorte Press may not be submitted to other publishers or literary agents while under consideration for the prize.
2. Authors may not submit more than two manuscripts to the Delacorte Yearling competition; each must meet all eligibility requirements.

DATES FOR SUBMISSION
1. Manuscripts must be postmarked after April 1, 2009, but no later than June 30, 2009.
2. Send manuscripts to:
Delacorte Yearling Contest
Random House, Inc.
1745 Broadway, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10019

JUDGING
1. The Judges are the editors of Delacorte Press Books for Young Readers.
2. The judges reserve the right not to award a prize.
3. The judges’ decision will be final.
4. The editors of Delacorte Press Books for Young Readers will not be able to offer critiques of manuscripts or enter into correspondence about the manuscripts other than with the winning author.
5. Writers will be notified between July and October as submissions are evaluated by the editors. Final contest results will be announced on our Web site on or around October 31, 2009.

* Formerly the Marguerite de Angeli Contest

Have a grape day.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 PM

haha cool. You going to enter?? But just one thing, I don't know if you know already but it seems you don't...

Quote:
Anyways, for those of you nine-to-twelve-year-old's who love writing historical fiction/contemporary novels, here's a contest for you, with a suh-weet prize.
It's not actually for writers in that age group. If you read closer, it's for READERS in that age group...so this isn't really a contest for kid writers...see:

Quote:
...to encourage the writing of contemporary or historical fiction set in North
America, for readers age 9–12.
mmhmm. Anyway, sounds cool! Good luck to anyone who enters!!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Danish621 Send a message via Yahoo to Danish621
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
haha cool. You going to enter?? But just one thing, I don't know if you know already but it seems you don't...

It's not actually for writers in that age group. If you read closer, it's for READERS in that age group...so this isn't really a contest for kid writers...see:

mmhmm. Anyway, sounds cool! Good luck to anyone who enters!!
I don't know if I'm going to enter, I tried writing a novel last year and it didn't work. And besides, I finally recovered the work I lost of Following Footsteps, and I want to finish that.

So yeah. Nice point. Yeah good luck entering people!

Have a grape day.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:47 PM

Such an old thread....
Anyway, just need to figure out how to write a cover letter and I think I'm ready for this. So proud...
(Wish me luck!)
Old 05-25-2009, 08:55 PM

WHAAAA!!!!!! I thirteen!!!! age discrimination!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:55 PM

That's why you do NANOWRIMO!! You write a novel in a MONTH, clean it up then send it! I may try... hardly a gaurentee though.
PS: Need to work on my spelling, huh?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:09 PM

You can't age out... Its for readers age 9-12, not writers age 9-12. So you're up for some stiff competition.

-Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-Ecrivian View Post
WHAAAA!!!!!! I thirteen!!!! age discrimination!!!!
I'm 14. :P
Anyway, it's for READERS that age, not for AUTHORS that old. Lozza already pointed this out. You can enter at any age (though I'm sure it was meant for adult authors...:P) It just has to be for "middle grade" readers.
And Kazel, like I said somewhere else, totally in on a June NaNoWriMo with you.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:13 PM

You can tell how long it takes me to edit my spellings on my posts... Clauds beat me to it...
And yep, stiff competion. But I can dream... (already done the math, got about a negative ten percent chance. But at least I totally wrote one.)
Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 PM

Oh, okay!!!! WHEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! It's all better now!!!!!!!

Tags
contemporary, historical fiction, random house, writing contest