Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > School
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2008, 12:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Danish621 Send a message via Yahoo to Danish621
Question Cliche, but...HELP!!!

First off, I would like to say....
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!! Hope you have a great time with family, friends, orphanage owners (is anyone living in an orphanage?)...

Ahem. Now, let's begin. I have been STRIVING to prove myself--you know, the cliche "spread my wings" or "shine like the stars." (It's great writing, but overused. yes, I sometimes use it, too. D It's really because I couldn't sing solo in the winter concert. I SO wanted to.

So, since I love to write songs, I'm thinking of writing one to sing at the talent show in spring. (So far away, but so close--it's a fast year.) I don't know, it's quite scary.

I don't need help with the actual writing--well, a bit, but whatever--but I do need help with all that stage fright, which I get much too easily. I maybe do need a smidge of help with an idea, though--why would I want to say "I love you" in front of a crowd of elementary schoolers? It's not bad, but I get embarrassed easily, especially in said situation.

This should maybe be in the writing section, but as said, I also need help with stage fright and stuff. So is that supposed to be in writing?

This is insanely long, it seems like it anyways, but I am not embarrassed now. Honestly.

So, title ideas, as usual, and stage frigth tips, for those who have also sung solos.

Have a grape day.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:17 AM

Stage fright? My advice, get out there and do it. You won't overcome fear you never face. If you do freeze, go with the flow and fake it. Once you get in a groove, you'll just have fun.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to VanessaP

My advice about stage fright is (since I am the lead in a play tonight) is to pretend like you know everything perfectly. If you forget some words just remember to sing 'lalala' (the audience never notices [I had to do this once]) and think to yourself that you know it. If your really nervous, practice over and over again so your sure you have it and give people previews so you can feel what it's like to have an audience. Well that's all I have!
"A good writer writes from their soul..."
-Me
"Taking writing away from an author is like taking water away from a fish."
-Me
"Don't save a pitcher for tomorrow, tomorrow it may rain."
-Major League Baseball
Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM

Look, I've done a bunch of plays for my school and I used to get stage-fright easily. I still get a bit of an upset stomach opening night. But I keep telling myself (something I learned from the 4th grade talent show), "Don't freak out. Just do it and enjoy it because you'll want to do it over again when you're done." I also do these plays with my best friends *coughPhillipAnthonyKatieAmandacough*, so it helps ease the pain and frightfulness. Just go out there and do your best!
Old 02-12-2009, 05:33 PM

You could ask someone to duet with you. Even if it's only one other person, it can make singing on stage a lot less scary.
And don't do an overly complicated song. A simple melody and simple words will make you less likely to forget it, and then you can concentrate on things like projection, pronunciation, breathing (this is my bad spot) etc

And I agree with Vanessa. Once I had to play a pre-show solo on viola, and I sped up toward the end on accident. I was playing with a tape, so it was sort of obvious. So I held out the last note and acted like it was a round. It worked, which sort of surprised me, but hey! I'm not complaining.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:18 AM

I have been told to pretend to be looking at someone, but really just look at the wall behind everyone. I don't know how it's supposed to work......... I think practicing in front of people will help a lot. then when you do it, you're not doing anything new.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:41 AM

Location: Stalking in the silence; listening to your tortured dreams.

I've never overcome my stage fright and yet I do presentations in front of everyone all the time. Mine's really bad. I can keep my voice level and calm and then my body starts shaking really really bad. It's so annoying.

We lie best when we lie to ourselves. ~ It; Stephen King.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:51 PM

wow, I shouldn't be on here, I thought stage fright was just a funny feeling in your stomac five minutes before you do it that disapears after a few seconds or minutes.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:59 PM

I write songs too so i know how you feel about the stage fright... its terrifing and it makes you want to shrivel up and hide. Well, the best thing to do is brush it off. Remember that this is *your* song. Not Nickleback's or Linkin Park's, not Fred or nigahiga. *Your* song. This is your moment to shine and no one else's. Not many people can write a song ya know! be proud!
As for the song itself, I usually write about everyday problems, avoiding the issue of love between boy and girl. Personally i think theres too many love songs out there about boys and girls in love or broken hearted, but thats just me. ^_^ do whatever your heart tells you to, as corny as it sounds! xD
Old 08-13-2009, 10:14 AM

I always get stage fright before singing and acting. And a do a lot of that stuff, considering I'm an avid member of my local theater. Just make yourself do it even if ya feel like you're going to puke, and nine times out of ten, once you're up on stage and doing whatever, it becomes a lot easier. You're barely even nervous anymore. And just have fun--if you have fun, your audience probably will too. And if for whatever reason someone teases you later, you have permission to be a bit snooty: just stick up your nose, smile at them, and then walk away.

Tags
advice, stage fright, talent show