Quantcast Time Management Advice? - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > School
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 10:44 PM

Default Time Management Advice?

Sorry this is so long, but please, if you can, help me…

I never use WB, but I really need some help here. I'm a freshman in high school and have four Pre-AP (advanced placement) classes. This means lots of homework, challenging school work, and hours of school at home. I'm also in the highest (Symphonic) orchestra at my school. This means morning rehersals, performing at events left and right, and lots of practice. On top of this, I found out today that I will have tennis practice every day after school until 5 or 6 P.M. This means…well, being even MORE pressed for time, exerting loads of energy, and practicing for hours EVERY SINGLE DAY right after school. So, basically, this is my schedule for a weekday: 7:45-9:00 morning orchestra rehearsal, 9:05-4:10 school, 3:00 (stars during school)- 5 or 6:00 tennis practice, 6:15 getting home and eating dinner, 7:00 violin lesson, finally returning home at 8, and doing homework till who knows when. That is over twelve hours a day of non-stop exertion and constant stress. I will rarely ever have free time, so this means I can't write or excercise any other passions of mine. I need some serious time management help. Anyone been there that can help me?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:49 PM

I have almost the same thing as you. I'm in marching band which has three hour practices on Mondays/Wednesdays and eight hours on Saturdays, and I also play piano and work at the library from time to time. Plus I'm in advanced-placement Math and French (I'm a grade ahead. My school doesn't let freshmen take APs, and I don't think I'd want to anyway).
I do my homework during recess or lunch at school and whenever I have time during class. Sometimes I even do it while eating dinner. If you're sitting still randomly, have a textbook handy with you and get some work done. You might come across as too geeky, but IT HELPS.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:23 AM

YOUR LIFE SOUNDS LIKE MINE! That was basically my life last year, except volleyball instead of tennis, viola instead of violin, and I was in a musical. My main advice is that if you have any free periods in school, use them to do homework. This means lunch too. Get as much homework done in school as possible. Also, I might suggest moving violin lessons to the weekends. This frees up a lot of time during the week day, especially if you're only having them once a week. Speaking of weekends, get a head start on your homework over the weekend. If you know you have a history paper due on Wednesday, write it on Saturday. This means you won't have to deal with it on Tuesday night. Trust me, I learned it the hard way (staying up until 3 am writing a paper and then waking up at 5:30 to finish it). If you're having a hard time with homework load (and trust me I know about this, my school is insane), try setting a timer. I find that I work better in 30 minute bursts. Sit down, and do your math homework for half an hour. If you're not done when the timer goes off, put your pencil down, go get a snack, read a book, work on a writing project, watch a stupid youtube video, drink some tea, go outside--whatever. Just get yourself away from it. Then, after 10 minutes, come back and do it again until it's finished. Even though this method seems like it might take longer, the net time spent on your homework will be lower because you won't get into that panicky stumped place where you realize that you've been working on the same sinusoidal graph for two hours and you still have to write a play for English and practice violin. My general advice for time management issues is to ignore the distractions and work the problem. If you get bogged down in how busy you are, your work goes slower, and then you get busier.

Tags
#helpme, #stressed, #timemanagement