Quantcast Have you ever finished a chapter book/novel?? Then I need you!! - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Free advice
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 PM

Location: In fourth year at Hogwarts, going on epic adventures at night with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.
Default Have you ever finished a chapter book/novel?? Then I need you!!

Hi everyone,

I have started eight novels, and discontinued two of them. I am currently writing one, where I write one or two chapters a day, and I've been writing this one for a week. The other five have been on hold. For quite a long time. I plan on finishing them . . . at least two of them.

But I REALLY need advice on how to stick with a book and FINISH it. Because I always just seem to lose interest, or put off writing it, or not write it for some other reason.

In one of my books, I have written fifteen chapters (A total of 17,000 words), but the last time I wrote in it was a few months ago. But I REALLY, REALLY want to finish this book, but I just never feel like writing it.

I need advice on how to finish that book, and novels in general. How???

Thank you!!!

be L oyal O bedient V irtuous E ncouraging

Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."

MUSIC can . . .
Give you hope . . .
Make you believe . . .
Heal your heart . . .
Touch your soul . . .
And never leave your mind . . .
~ Mallori Sparke
Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Location: Stalking in the silence; listening to your tortured dreams.

I suck at this too. I have twenty five now? Yeah twenty five. And of those twenty five one is done. Dont ask me how I did it, because I honestly have no idea. So far I'm just making it a point to keep my interest of the book up. I keep myself thinking about possible plot twists, new chapters, characters, drawing and so on. So I get all excited and want to write when I can't. Just be diligent is what I can say. I want to see my book as a movie, but I gotta finish it first. Haha.

We lie best when we lie to ourselves. ~ It; Stephen King.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:40 PM

I need that advice too! I don't know how poeple do it!! But from what I see of SMITTEN you are doing great, you have like 2 chapters or 1 every day!!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 PM

I've completed one 80,000 word novel and a sequel that is about halfway finished. Stopping never crossed my mind. My advice?

Plan out the plot beforehand. I've found that if I have no clue where I'm going with something, I'll never finish it. Grab a piece of scrap paper and list chapters and possible events and how they're interconnected. A good nov is so balanced that if you remove one piece, it all falls apart. Also, writing a summary or making a trailer can help with motivation.

Next, set goals. Plan to write two pages in half an hour. Ten do it. Don't aim to high or else you'll feel lousy if you don't make it, but make yourself strive for it. Eliminate anything that may cause you to procrastinate even if you're on a deadline, or if KP is getting in your way and you want to write a page, go where there is no wi-fi so you won't be tempted. Quiet environments or ones with white noise are good to work in. Quiet music playing also helps, but many people find it hard to focus when their favorite song comes on.

Never stop posting. Get as many eyes on your work as possible and ask for opinions. This is major. And simple.

Hope those tips helped :] Good luck!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Location: In fourth year at Hogwarts, going on epic adventures at night with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Thank you all!!!

@Kiwara: Your writing is so amazing. BREATHTAKING. You will be famous one day, I just know it.

@Haley: You are always so kind and sweet! And thank you SO much for your encouraging comments on Smitten!!

@WolfWriter: THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your advice REALLY helped. I really want to finish Pierced Moon, so I'll take all of your advice and finish it. I will.

I really appreciate you all!!!!

MUSIC can . . .
Give you hope . . .
Make you believe . . .
Heal your heart . . .
Touch your soul . . .
~ Mallori Sparke
Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 PM

WolfWriter: I envy you. XD I can't finish anything to save my life....I have issues finishing a short story longer than four pages!

Psst....Read Ascending. It's in my track.
and the best part? It's by my best friend, Rose.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Aww no problem, I love Smitten!!!!!! Thanks!
Old 06-04-2011, 02:41 PM

I have finished a 99,330 word novel, and two others, one being around 73 pages, and one around 70ish pages.

You see, at first, I wrote two books- Dreamwalker and Shadows. I then wrote around 8 pages of Dying and Almost Dead. And I quit it.

A couple of months later, I opened the document, staring at the words I'd written. After the first two books in the trilogy, I felt bad about quitting it. And so I picked up writing it. And now look at DAAD. It's 237 pages- the LONGEST book I've ever written. But it'd still be 8 pages if I hadn't opened the document and started writing. Besides-the trilogy is my Soul Story.

So I guess you've gotta force yourself to pick it back up. I saw Lucky say on something "Stop at an interesting part. This will make you eager to write more, so when you go to write more, you'll be excited."

And maybe- like Wolf said, try and plan out the major events. I don't plan out every little part from the beginning, but I focus on the big picture. And then when you write, you can add all the little details.

Also, try reading your story from the beginning to get you hyped up about it. Maybe edit what you have, so by the time you're done editing, you'll want to actually WRITE IT.

I hope I helped. Good luck on finishing.

No more dreaming like a girl, like a girl so in love...with the wrong world.

Snow White's stitching up the circuitboard...

inside of me.

-quote on dA
Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 PM

Thanks so much, Rachel! That helps a BUNCH!!

MUSIC can . . .
Give you hope . . .
Make you believe . . .
Heal your heart . . .
Touch your soul . . .
~ Mallori Sparke
Old 06-04-2011, 07:43 PM

I have so much trouble with this. I find that with planning, I need to find a balance, because if I plan too much it takes the fun out of writing and then I REALLY don't want to do it. But having a general direction is definitely good.

Also, I find that there are very few times when I'm really inspired to write, and you just have to do it anyway...

Good luck!

don't get it right, get it written! -an editor

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:13

Tags
advice