Quantcast Music/Band people - Page 2 - The Writer's Block
Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Outside Life > Free advice
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiremoon View Post
I play the piano (level seven) and the tenor sax (only for school though– I rent it), but I'm learning the trumpet next year for an extra credit. I'm also taking guitar lessons soon yaay.
Haha yayyy I'm also level seven!
Chopin is getting on my nerves though.

@Confuzzled: I'm not a singer but I would try out for Wendy because there's a lot of competition and everything, and I'd do the head voice part because... idk... or seems more relevant to the role? Haha I've never done a singing audition ^-^
Old 08-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post

@Confuzzled: I'm not a singer but I would try out for Wendy because there's a lot of competition and everything, and I'd do the head voice part because... idk... or seems more relevant to the role? Haha I've never done a singing audition ^-^
i don't know what level i am but i agree man Chopin needs to not
Rachmaninoff too
Old 08-06-2014, 01:26 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to saphiremoon

Quote:

Yaay twins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camikat View Post
i don't know what level i am but i agree man Chopin needs to not
Rachmaninoff too
And yeah Chopin is lovely to listen to but ;-;
And bloody Schumann. I played a waltz of his and died.
And Czerny!
But I played a Sonatina by Kuhlau and it was heaven <333
Old 08-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I'm playing the flute, which I own, during concert season. I get to rent the mello for free because it's only for marching. There are 23 flutes and 4 mellophones so I might be forced to switch, and I already talked to the director and he told me to try the mellophone or other brass later. Im also considering baritone.
The baritone, I believe, has the same notes as a trombone (which I play), and flutes have the same note names as trombones, so if you want to try something with a little less memorization. I dunno. Most of what I learned about flute notes and such was peeking at the flutes in front of me and their sheet music. Or you could do the mellophone. You can ignore my ramblings and advice, I don't mind.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
The baritone, I believe, has the same notes as a trombone (which I play), and flutes have the same note names as trombones, so if you want to try something with a little less memorization. I dunno. Most of what I learned about flute notes and such was peeking at the flutes in front of me and their sheet music. Or you could do the mellophone. You can ignore my ramblings and advice, I don't mind.
Haha I have band camp today so I'll see c:
The bad thing about baritones is that they are really hard to carry when marching. I'm strong so I'll probavlt manage c;
Old 08-06-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Haha I have band camp today so I'll see c:
The bad thing about baritones is that they are really hard to carry when marching. I'm strong so I'll probavlt manage c;
Trombones are not made for marching bands. (At least not until college. Nobody wants juveniles causing concussions with their instrument.)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
Trombones are not made for marching bands. (At least not until college. Nobody wants juveniles causing concussions with their instrument.)
ahaha in my other post I wrote "probavit" instead of "probably" because autocorrect -_-
There's actually a legit trombone section in our band this year and a few freshmen I know are in it...
I'm probably not going to play trombone because there are a lot of them already, but the director really needs other brass. Yes, even trumpet.
I was going to do colorguard but there are A LOT of people so there's not room for anymore, so my only options are trumpet, mello, or baritone. Or maybe bass clarinet, but we might not even have them this year because there's only one person and that's the section leader (who is, by the way, an intimidating senior).
Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
Actually.. I have a question for all you theatre people. So I am going to auditions for Peter Pan in a little less than a week. I have a song- Live out Loud from Little Princess. My voice teacher thinks that I should sing the beltier part because he thinks I would make a good Peter Pan. There is a lot of competition and I am pretty tall, so I think I would have a way better shot at Wendy. I don't really know what cut to use- the beginning part that I sing in my head voice rather then belting it, or the last part which I belt at the end... I want to show off my voice but I also want them to kind of "see me" as Wendy. What do you guys think?
If you're unsure, just show them what you've got. It's not up to you to decide what part you get. The point of auditions is putting yourself out there so the directors can see what you've got and decide whether or not you would help with their production. I don't know the song, but is there a part where you can start out in your head voice and transition into your chest voice? Do you know how long your audition piece is supposed to be?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
Actually.. I have a question for all you theatre people. So I am going to auditions for Peter Pan in a little less than a week. I have a song- Live out Loud from Little Princess. My voice teacher thinks that I should sing the beltier part because he thinks I would make a good Peter Pan. There is a lot of competition and I am pretty tall, so I think I would have a way better shot at Wendy. I don't really know what cut to use- the beginning part that I sing in my head voice rather then belting it, or the last part which I belt at the end... I want to show off my voice but I also want them to kind of "see me" as Wendy. What do you guys think?
Go for what you want! Personally I would love to be Peter Pan, but it's totally up to you!

I'm going to try out for The Last 5 Years at a local theater. I think I should sing "On My Own" but I'm not sure

- Sierra and Matthew in Jo
Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphiremoon View Post
Yaay twins!

And yeah Chopin is lovely to listen to but ;-;
And bloody Schumann. I played a waltz of his and died.
And Czerny!
But I played a Sonatina by Kuhlau and it was heaven <333
Noooo Czerny D: Hanon sucks just as much.
KUHLAU IS SUCH THE BEST I played his piece for an exam last year.

I DON'T HAVE TO PLAY BRASS on one condition: I get a solo.
There are two flute solos in the marching band show, one of which we've already learned. So far I'm the only one who's practicing it. I NEED THAT SOLO SO I CAN ALSO PROVE MY MIDDLE SCHOOL BAND DIRECTOR WRONG ABOUT ME SUCKING AT FLUTE

Tags
band, meerkatxmeerkatjunior <3, music