Refresh the page...
forums KidPub Home

Go Back   The Writer's Block > Writing > Contests
 FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrybomb View Post
Yeah, I think that'd be good.

Maybe you could help judge a certain category, and then enter a different one?

By the way, how many categories do we plan on making?
Actually that's a good idea. Jesse, you could judge a certain category (example: Poetry) and then submit an entry to a different section (example: Novel Excerpt).

Thanks for the idea Cherrybomb.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:21 PM

Okay, here's an idea. People can volunteer to help out with the contest. You can either volunteer to be a judge, or a prize-maker (for example, one person might make book covers like Meera, or do drawings like Swallowtail or Mystergirl).

Please quote this post and post your username and what area you want to volunteer in if you would like to help out!

If too many people enter, then would might have to have limits. Like we probably wouldn't want to have more than three judges per category, or like five drawers and one person making book covers.

Last edited by coolcate781; 02-24-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieS View Post
Okay, so I read through this thread, and you guys are planning on doing different categories? If you're trying to make this like the old monthly contests, why don't we just do a prompt and give people a month to enter a story? Or, if you want to give it a few categories, give a short story prompt and then a poetry prompt. I don't think we should narrow it down too much into multiple rounds and categories because honestly, you don't know how many entries we're going to get. It's much easier to just do one or two prompts, and it will work no matter how few or how many entries we get. It's also less complicated, and these things usually fall apart if they're too complicated.

I think the contest limits itself should be relatively simply, but then we should think of a big prize. The cool thing about the monthly contests wasn't the contest itself, but the fact that it had a cash prize.
I would definitely agree. Maybe the contest idea I had in mind would be too difficult. Either we could do three categories (Poetry, Short Story, or Novel Excerpt) and put a prompt for each one, or just do a basic contest, where you have one prompt and have a few weeks to enter.

Which do you think would be better, guys?
Old 02-24-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcate781 View Post
Okay, here's an idea. People can volunteer to help out with the contest. You can either volunteer to be a judge, or a prize-maker (for example, one person might make book covers like Meera, or do drawings like Swallowtail or Mystergirl).

Please quote this post and post your username and what area you want to volunteer in if you would like to help out!

If too many people enter, then would might have to have limits. Like we probably wouldn't want to have more than three judges per category, or like five drawers and one person making book covers.
Hellooooo it is I the book cover person also if we decide to do the anonymity thing I can handle that as well!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieS View Post
Okay, so I read through this thread, and you guys are planning on doing different categories? If you're trying to make this like the old monthly contests, why don't we just do a prompt and give people a month to enter a story? Or, if you want to give it a few categories, give a short story prompt and then a poetry prompt. I don't think we should narrow it down too much into multiple rounds and categories because honestly, you don't know how many entries we're going to get. It's much easier to just do one or two prompts, and it will work no matter how few or how many entries we get. It's also less complicated, and these things usually fall apart if they're too complicated.

I think the contest limits itself should be relatively simply, but then we should think of a big prize. The cool thing about the monthly contests wasn't the contest itself, but the fact that it had a cash prize.
Quote:
I would definitely agree. Maybe the contest idea I had in mind would be too difficult. Either we could do three categories (Poetry, Short Story, or Novel Excerpt) and put a prompt for each one, or just do a basic contest, where you have one prompt and have a few weeks to enter.

Good points, Lizzie.
Maybe we could keep it to two categories (Short Story and Poetry, must all be new writing) with several prompts to pick from, but without any rounds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
If it's possible, for judging purposes, we could make the entries anonymous only when the judges see them. I know how to do that. Basically, people could email me (or someone else in charge) their entries and we could assign each of them a number before passing them on to the judges to eliminate biases.
(restrain me)
Oooh, this is a good idea.
Quote:

i'd like to draw some prizes (Cherrybomb)
finally
free

or is this
just a prettier
cage?
Old 02-25-2015, 07:02 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jesse

Quote:
Actually that's a good idea. Jesse, you could judge a certain category (example: Poetry) and then submit an entry to a different section (example: Novel Excerpt).

Thanks for the idea Cherrybomb.
I'm probably gonna enter in short story so I could judge poetry or any of the other things
Old 02-25-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:

I like the first idea because it might be hard to get enough entries when you have specific prompts, contests that aren't poetry seem to fail...:/
Old 02-25-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:

Please quote this post and post your username and what area you want to volunteer in if you would like to help out! :D

I'm volunteering for judge and I can do novel excerpts I guess :o But if we are doing that anonymous thing that Meerkat suggested, could I judge short stories? :)
Old 02-25-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Ok, I volunteer to do drawing.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
Yeah, that sounds good. There should probably be a word minimum/maximum, and maybe a few other guidelines to follow, such as a maybe having to write something new, not using something already written.
So is there going to be two categories, short story and poetry, or something else?
If so, what will the prompts be? Any ideas?
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrybomb View Post
Good points, Lizzie.
Maybe we could keep it to two categories (Short Story and Poetry, must all be new writing) with several prompts to pick from, but without any rounds?
Yeah, short story and poetry. Novel excerpt wouldn't work as well because it should be something new that they've written just for the contest. And as for prompts, I think we should stick to a single prompt. It's harder to judge it if there is a huge variety of entries. I'm also fairly certain if we google "writing prompts" there are lots of websites that just dish them out.

Also, what if we stagger them? Like, we could start a short story monthly contest on March 1-April 1, and then start a poetry monthly contest halfway through March-halfway through April so if people want to enter both, they have some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
If it's possible, for judging purposes, we could make the entries anonymous only when the judges see them. I know how to do that. Basically, people could email me (or someone else in charge) their entries and we could assign each of them a number before passing them on to the judges to eliminate biases.
(restrain me)
I like this idea. That's also like the old monthly contests, because for those you submitted them on the contest page and you weren't allowed to post them on the main site until after the contest.

If you don't want to do them by email, you could also set up a Google form where you just give them the link and they submit their story. Actually, I think that might be better, because some people might not be comfortable with putting their email with their entry. And then you could send the stories to the judges.

Quote:

I'll judge short stories.

Tags
i like mangos, my mango was here, say hello to the mango